Bel Canto C7R (all-in-one DAC/integrated/phono/receiver)

Price: 1450
Currency: USD
Ships to: CONUS

Hey folks! Lots of pre-holiday action in the marketplace I see, so let me toss my gear on the barbie, as it were.

The Bel Canto C7R has served me incredibly well since late 2013, but probably has less than 5 years of actual use. It drove my main system in a parttime residence (w/NOLA Contender speakers), and eventually became the core of my desktop system last year. It does everything: A very good DAC with a headphone out; 60 (8)/120 (4) watt Class D amp; MM phono; a receiver that I never tried; also a line out and theater bypass mode, so it can work as a pre-amp. I recently picked up a PS Audio Stellar Gain DAC to try, and while I don’t think the DAC is as good as the C7R’s, it’s a very close call. There are some ergonomic reasons for hanging onto the PS Audio unit for now (I also have a PS Audio memory player, so, synergy I guess).

The C7R sold for $3k, and pops up on the used market for around $1500. For $1450, I’ll pick up the shipping (about $27 I think via Fed Ex Ground). It comes with the original box, the remote, the printed manual (it’s a bit ragged though), and probably the stock power cord which you aren’t likely to use. I’ve never had a second’s trouble with it, and I would be content to keep it, but I also just got my DNA Stratus so I need to replenish the account after so many audio cash outlays this year.

Oh, cosmetics are 10/10, I would say … call it 9/10 for its vintage.

Here is the rave review from Stereophile: C7R

I guess the only drawbacks are it only does 96/24 via the USB and TOSlink inputs, but goes to 192 on the S/PDIF inputs. And it’s not a streamer. But I found it worked perfectly on the desktop (it has half the footprint of the usual amp) with a MacMini stacked on top if it. Lightweight but not insubstantial at 13 pounds.

If interested, please hit me up. I have 10+ years of trading and good feedback on Audiogon. Listed there as steve_dollar.

6 Likes

Price drop: $1400, incl. Fed Ex ground to CONUS.

Have you tried listing on Usaudiomart? No fees as long as you deal with people via email and dont send an invoice tgrough their website

2 Likes

No, didn’t know it was a no-fee site. Audiogon kind of sucks.

1 Like

I’ve had good experiences with US Audio Mart. It’s often sparse on headphone-only gear, but excellent for speakers, cables, and higher-end DACs and amps. Probably a great place for this item.

2 Likes

Thanks … I’ve looked on there a lot lately. I’ll give it a shot!!

1 Like

I posted here because this piece is a very headphone friendly item. I don’t think there would be anything better at the price (I may even decide to keep it and sell the PS Audio Stellar Gain DAC/pre I just bought, if it doesn’t sell by end of year).

1 Like

oooOOOoohhhh! I don’t have a need for it quite yet, but I’ve been intrigued by that PS Audio Stellar Gain DAC/Pre for my hypothetical future speaker setup. You’re not a fan?

@andris … I am a fan, I like it a lot – I just think that it’s not significantly better (or worse) than what I was using (Bel Canto C7R). It’s fun and easy to use, I just am realizing that I probably really wanted to go all the way to something a level or two higher but didn’t have the cash for it right now. Let me know when you are looking for one … I got it (barely) used for 1100$ so they are very affordable on the resale market. I’m playing around with some different gear in my desktop/headphone system, and the DNA Stratus, and will probably be selling off various items by or before mid-2021 as I dial things in, or maybe all the headphone action shifts to other rooms/systems. It’s gonna be a very experimental phase before they start handing out the vaccines, and I can hit the road again.

Price Drop … $1350 shipped (CONUS). Special for forum folks.