Bricasati M3h Direct Stream AlO

I’m pretty excited to have the Bricasti M3h in for a long term review. After hearing it numerous times at shows I figured I’d want a long listen in home to see if it would prove a true all encompassing end game solution for my home systems!

For my tastes the sound quality alone is exceptional, moving up from my ADi2 I found it maintains a neutral tonality and timbre but provides better micro detail, a more realsitic envelope with deeper more cohesive staging and imaging.

There was also a added sense of SLAM and impact alongside an extra touch of resolve at the quietest lowest point of that trailing edge just before silence. For me this nuance added a palipalable life like sense of realism to the system as a whole!

An while I appreciate the full body presentation of Chord’s FPGA’s and DACs like the Yggdrasil, I’ve never been able to simply disconnect from those systems and just fall into the music like I can and do with M3.

The differance tho I feel isn’t just the topology of the DAC it self but more specifically the Networked direct stream implimentation that partners with it. With USB, optical and even SPDIF there’s still amazing detail, tonality and presentation and transparency. However moving out of Windows & Android entirely and running completely off just Network with M3 serving as both a streamer and DAC gives me a sense of transparency and realisim unlike anything else I’ve heard. Truely life like, enough that I can simply fall into the music and disconnect.

Even better is the overall ease of use! I had no qualms getting the Networked Direct Stream function up and running for music with both jRiver and Bubble UpnP.

Bubble UPnP gives me access to the music on my Google Drive and allows me to do full lossless Qobuz streaming! Thru ethernet into M3 and wifi on my cell for control thru Bubble UPnP.

My existing copy of jRiver Music integrated with M3h perfectly all thru my existing LAN Network. I didn’t need any drivers installed, I simply configured jRiver to use M3 as a streamer and auto-populated it into my playback menu after a single post setup power-cycle.

I also use my PC for a lot of multi media content as well, so I take advantage of the SPIDF Input allowing me to still have a truely life like referance quality system while watching movies and videos, editing my own content for upload or just browing the web on my Desktop machine.

M3h has native plug n play support with Android via USB and I can run Optical output thru my monitor into M3h for gaming support as well.

Day after day I continue to find my self impressed with M3h both as a DAC but also as an all in one solid state headphone amplifier as well!

To quote my brief comparisons from the L30 Review;

Plenty of systems capture and recreate detail, but each struggles with impact differently. Even with M3 as a DAC L30, SP 200 and Atom all failed to present enough force on the attack and a clean enough transition thru the envelope and sustain to recreate that kick drum in a truly realistic way. While none of them sounded “fake” they all lacked about a half second on the release, and this lack of resolved force on the tail end of the kick drum is what makes it genuinely REAL for me! With amplification that can allow the driver to fully recreate that wave form as M3h does, the PreFazor LCD 2 proves it’s worth and provides a realistic immersive low end response.

As a whole, each of the budget amps lacked the cohesion and overall level of micro-detail and discernment M3h brought. There were many occasions where M3h resolved just an extra few moments of sound on the tail end of both vocalists, drum kits, brass instruments and more. The presence of these added final moments are the kind of nuance top of the line amplification brings to most quality transducers or headphones.

I’ll be adding in a more detaied review of M3h here to this thread here shortly. But for now I wanted to introduce the product to you guys here and discuss what I’ve been enjoying about it as well as see what features you guys may have questions about it that I’ve not considered!

10 Likes

Nice introduction.

Have you heard it in comparison to other similarly priced gear from something like Rockna? Always wondering what the real differences are between these higher priced DACs.

1 Like

Not yet in my own home no, tho of the 3/4 big Hi-Fi shows I attened I did hear quite a few of the more higher priced DACs on both speakers and headphones, this is the one that stood out each time.

Still hopefully I’ll have a chance to review them in the future

1 Like

Bricasti’s pro reverb gear is extremely well acclaimed. It is no surprise their engineering prowess translates well into the consumer space. I personally think their DACs are criminally underrated. The M1SE competes w/ any DAC in it’s price range, including DAVE. Chord has the upper hand in terms of brand recognition as they’ve catered to headphone/IEM users for years now, but this relatively new M3h is truly a sweet all-in-one. It trumps Chord in functionality w/ the built-in network function. I would personally take it over the comparably priced TT2.

2 Likes

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts how the Bricasti M3H compares to the Mola Mola Tambaqui, and (this would be a guess) against the forthcoming Boulder 812.

My use case is roon-based over ethernet, so a streamer/dac/headphone amp that is high quality in one is very useful (if hard to get right not in separates).

Any insight or thoughts would be appreciated…

I just wanted to say that I am friends with MShenay. We’ve hung out in person and I absolutely fell IN LOVE with his Bricasti M3H dac with built in streaming. I really like the headphone jack on it, but, I spent most of my time using it with my GS-X Mini going into the Bricasti M3, which is a sublime combination. I went home after spending three days with this Bricasti that’s pictured and sold off all of my cheaper budget dacs to make room for the Bricasti. At one point, I think that I was hoarding eight sub $1,000 dacs, and I tried my very hardest to go back to them, but couldn’t get Bricasti off my mind. By no means were any of my entry level dacs bad, per se, but I too found the Bricasti special. I ordered it and I’ve been waiting a month now, but, Bricasti told me that it should be shipping out this week, so here’s hoping. The thing that made Bricasti very special for me was the way that it staged things, for starters. My old Bifrost 2 for example felt like it staged pretty adequately before I spoiled myself and heard MShenay’s Bricasti M3.

I remember going back home to my dacs after spending some time at a headfi meet with that Bricasti and being like: “Come on, stage better! You can do it!” but alas. So, yes, I found that Bricasti staged very, very well. The stage was large and both treble and bass extension was superb across that large scale. MShenay, for example, normally isn’t a fan of Meze Empyreans. I brought my Meze Empyreans to the meet and even he was surprised at how good the Bricasti was making them sound. I remember him and I looking at each other, nodding, and commenting on the extension that we were hearing. It was fantastic. I also like the bass on the Bricasti. Even though Bifrost 2 is R2R and Bricasti is delta sigma, I honestly felt as though the Bricasti M3 reminded me of my Bifrost 2… except more grand in every way. They both have a slightly thick and colored sound. Some might call it “musical” and pleasant. I have not heard a Bricasti M1, but, several ears that I trust have told me that it is a bit more transparent and resolving, but, some do find that it can be a touch analytical and revealing with headphones. I think that the Bricasti M3 takes that down a notch and you probably lose a bit in resolution but gain in it being a touch more forgiving and smooth, but, it’s not as forgiving of a dac as my old Bifrost 2 was.

The reason that I keep bringing up Bifrost 2 is because it was my best dac before making the jump to Bricasti. And, as I said, I can see similarities between both except the Bricasti is on another level and just does everything better. The M3 is a very detailed dac but has some lush low end and smoothness there that keeps it from being too over-analytical. However, it is by no means mushy or gooey by any means. I’d describe it as having a touch of smoothness and warmth which I find very pleasing. When paired with my GS-X Mini (which many people call a warm sounding class A amp), people at the headfi meet commented on how the combination sounded a bit “tubey” without actually having any tubes in the chain. Something about the slight warmth and thickness that the Bricasti M3 brings, when mated with the slight warmth of the GS-X Mini, indeed does give a slight “tubey” presentation where you have that kiss of warmth but with a high level of SS speed and detail retrieval. It should also be noted that I heard MShenay’s Bricasti model without the new and allegedly improved MDx board upgrade, which costs $1,000 to install on existing non-MDx units. Bricasti informed me that since my model is a new production model, it will come with the MDx board already installed. I’d comment more about my impressions of the Bricasti M3H, but, it’s been a few months since I last heard it. Also, seeing as I heard it without the new MDx board, I feel as though I currently don’t have a strong basis to form very strong and solid impressions from. However, I did mention some of the things that did stand out to me. Hopefully my new unit will arrive this week or next week. In which case, I can listen to it more thoroughly and report back with more concrete and solidified impressions.

7 Likes

@Lana @mshenay - how do you find the M3h’s headphone amp? I couldn’t find any specs on its amplification (including on Bricasti’s website) and wondering whether you had any subjective impressions (or objective data) how it matches with both hard and easy to drive cans?

In case you are familiar with the Mytek sound, would love any thoughts you may have how they compare (I currently have the Brooklyn Bridge, so this would be very relevant for me as well).

Thanks so much

1 Like

Hello Lana
just read your very detailed review of the Bricasti M3H. I am owner of a M12 and can really recognise your description of the sound. You mention that you connect the GS-X Mini to the M3H. Which input/output did you use ? the AES ?
the reason is that I would like to join the world of Headfi too, and want to get a good head amp. just dont know how to connect it to the Bricasti M12
best regards
Michael