Bring Back Your Dead

Laser Disk perhaps? I had about 50 before DVD got rolling. I liked Beta Max and was disappointed when VHS won out.

2 Likes

No, Laser Disk was far better. We have this monster in mind, “CED”:

6 Likes

I had a Pioneer laser disk player that also played music CD’s, I went to look for it the other day to see what kind of outputs it had and I must have given it away years ago. As I recall mine would play a double sided disk but I do not recall if you had to flip it over. I never bought one of the RCA units even though their main factory was in my town and I probably could have bought it for little money I knew better lol.

The RCA unit may have been conceived in 64 but I can recall technicians leaving my company to go work on them around 1979 or 1980 maybe.

Anybody remember (or more likely have parents that remember) wire recorders?

Long ago my father spoke of wire recorders as something from long ago.

Techmoan is great for this stuff:

6 Likes

I finally got around to looking up the pin-out for my broken Tung Sol 6SN7.

Here’s a photo of unbroken Tung Sol 6SN7 GTB bases:

Thanks to some packing tape and a socket saver, I’m now using this tube in my Lyr 3.

Findings:

• The Tung Sol is way more functionally intact than some of my vintage tubes that have much better reputations. It has good definition and range, and generates no piercing whines.
  • The Lyr 3’s output more closely resembles the RebelAmp now, but the RebelAmp is on another level for punch and definition.
  • I should do a systematic comparison between my 6SN7s. We will see.
8 Likes

EDITED TO EXPAND ON AMP PERFORMANCE:

I dug my 20 year old Technics SA-DA10 receiver out of storage. Its VGCA music-focused amp is quite clean, resolving, spacious, and punchy. I kept it around because of the amp, and it’s as good as I remember. I’ve run 3 external DACs through the amp, and it’s very transparent. My test DACs included Bifrost 2, AKM 4490, and a cheap Raspberry Pi DAC. Each one is different and readily identifiable, even to my wife. We both prefer the more expensive DACs over the cheaper ones. Simple rank order.

The receiver’s integral DAC is something else. It’s bad, seriously bad. Every note is converted into bloopy video-game-like sounds. On or off. No space, breath, or ambience at all, and generally no ability to handle complexity. The processor gets confused very easily and tends to lag. I gave up on the DAC after 15 minutes. Even the cheapest contemporary DAC or dongle is far superior.

7 Likes

I’d have given you a :heart: for that, but I have an :elephant:'s memory. Anyway, I’m just a 17 year old :woman: but play an old goofball :clown_face: on non-functional “black screen radio TVs.”

2 Likes

Truly LOL. Even ROTFL, or ROTFLOL.

2 Likes