"Budget" IEM Help

And do you guys sell the tips for the Dunu cables?

Dunu DK-3001 Pro which I believe @antdroid also reviewed. crinacle too.

Blessing 2.

Sony IER-M7.

The DK2001 is top of my list at the moment!

@BuffaloWing here’s my Blessing 2 review: https://www.antdroid.net/2020/04/moondrop-blessing-2-review.html

4 Likes

Re-affirms my choice I think!

Thanks.

I am trying to gauge how big the small tips that come with it are though. Compared to a S or SS from Spinfit/Azla etc.

Azla eartips tend to be bigger than other brands, so if you wear SS, I would just get a S. If you wear S most, it’d just get a pair of S and M.

3 Likes

6.5mm bore diameter lost me.

Ordered a Dunu DK2001 and a extra 2.5mm Balanced end

Will try the supplied tips and if none suit, order some Alza or Spinfits.

And once Brisbane gets a 3D Scan machine for ear canals, get that done and get a pair of custom fitting tips for universals.

Thanks guys and @antdroid

Let you know how I think they sound.

3 Likes

Congrats! I have the 17th and love them. Waiting on @antdroid’s review of the Luna (which I hear is on it’s way)… no pressure @antdroid :slight_smile:

1 Like

haha. Luna is definitely not “budget” iem status. It should come on Saturday. Had a nice talk with Tom from Dunu about it earlier this week.

3 Likes

Came today.

As expected, smallest tips still too big. Have order SS AZLA and the Small 600 comply isolations, they taper down to not much.

Currently using random super small things from a cheap iem from 10 years ago.

Sounds good! The DD bass is nice.

Cable excellent. Changeable tips works a treat too.

2 Likes

Well, the AZLA SS and Compy 500 Small came. Both still too big.

Not sure where to look from here. Need something with a diameter of like 9-9.5mm at a guess.

A surgeon to make your ear canal larger :wink:

Would the SpinFit tips help? SpinFit CP100-SS.

spinfit

EDIT: Nvm, misread that and thought the diameter was 9.2mm (B vs. C).

Yeah, same same.

I’ve ordered a generic that claims 9mm wide. See what happens.

The comply I can mash in, but still a bit big and I’d rather silicone. Cleaner.

Gonna chime in on blessing 2 dusk. (Not the original, haven’t heard that).

1 Like

Oh, hey, this is really old. Didn’t realize

1 Like

Haha yeah!

I couldnt get tips to fit with the Dunu, which has small housing. So gave up and sold them.

1 Like

Since I’m too new to create my own topic, I’m posting here.

I’ve recently been bitten by the IEM bug, after you all helped me find some great headphones (Hifiman Sundara).

I bought a cheap pair of KZ ATRs just to see how IEMs sounded in general with my only experience so far being Apple Airpod Pros. I then bought some Fiio FH1S and enjoyed them. A very nice retired man on Craigslist has been listing lots of IEMs and other equipment for good prices so I purchased them all for $360. They consisted of:

Shuoer Tape
Shuoer Tape Pro
Blon BL-01
Blon BL-03
Blon BL-05
BQEYZ Spring 1
BGVP Zero
Shozy 1.4
He also included some Supology TWS-V16 wireless earbuds, a Fiio Kilimanjaro 2, and a couple of bluetooth transmitters as well as various unused aftermarket ear tips.

I’ve listened to everything and quite happy to be able to experiment with different sound signatures, amps, cables, etc. and I’m ready to purchase another pair or two.

My question is should I get a couple of other inexpensive ones like the Moondrop Starfield or iBasso IT01 which seem to have different setups and sound than the ones I currently have, or should I save up and buy something in the $300+ range?

I have no place near me that will let me demo higher end IEMs, and my friends have nothing fancier than the free Apple wired earbuds, so I don’t know how to go about deciding other than reviews and advice here.

Is there a substantial difference going from $100 - $200 IEMS to something over $300? What, specifically, do the more expensive versions do better?

I like to listen to classic rock, guitarists like Jeff Beck, some newer stuff I’m discovering like Billie Eilish, and a lot of live versions of 70’s and 80’s rock and “yacht rock.”

Thanks in advance for your continued advice.

By the way, if this should be moved to another section/post, please feel free to do so.

1 Like

Which one of those do you find yourself reaching for the most?

I really like the Shozy 1.4. With foam tips to somewhat soften the high end, I think they sound great. My favorite track on Tidal is Jeff Beck’s live cover of A Day in the Life by the Beatles. Everything just sounds “right.” There is a slightly narrow staging, but I have not really experienced wide and deep staging with any IEM yet. I don’t know if it is just of function of using an iem versus a headphone, or if I just haven’t heard a high end iem that can replicate the effect.

2 Likes

I thought I was going crazy when I couldn’t find my response to this! Double post. Craziness averted.