"Budget" IEM Help

The Shozy has a single dynamic driver and 4 balanced armatures. It’s a few years old now. It was considered something of a non-fatiguing IEM to begin with, and you have foamies on them which tone down the higher frequencies.

So that’s the sound signature you may find yourself pursuing as you make your way up the price ladder.

Most of the IEMs I’ve tried tend to lean brighter and more “detailed” the better in technicalities they get. Some also aim for a more neutral presentation.

For a warmer IEM, you’ll want to look at frequency response graphs and find a bit of bass elevation extending into the lower mid range around 200-300Hz. You won’t want any sharp midrange peaks from 3-5 KHz.

1 Like

Thank you. Are they any models/manufacturers you could recommend to try? I’m also open to trying some warmer models to see if I like them. I just have to find a way to audition them that doesn’t involve driving a few hundred miles. I like to try new things, and I’m currently trying different amps, DACs, and amp/DAC combos to see what works for me there.

It is quite possible you’d find the Final Audio E4000 agreeable.

Thanks. What is the most “ethical” way to try something I don’t know if I’m going to like or not? Is it best to order them from Amazon and return them if I don’t like them, or do specialty audio stores have more of a relaxed policy knowing that not everyone is going to like a particular sound? I don’t want to be someone who orders 20 items and returns 19 of them, but I also do not want to feel obligated to keep them if I don’t like them.

Obviously, just pick the right one first! :wink:

I am the king of returns. So that’s my route. Mostly amazon. But there are things that can’t be had there (Like the Blessing 2 Dusk).

I also don’t have an audio store on that level in my entire state. And crossing state borders is currently a 14 day quarantine on both sides. Yeah, that’s not happening. Just check return policies first. Purchase one or two things and evaluate. Don’t go bat crap crazy and do it all in 1 week. That may make even amazon mad at you.

3 Likes

And I know this, because I am banned from returning stuff to best buy. Yep. Not kidding.

4 Likes