BURSON Soloist 3X Performance - Class A Headphone/Pre Amplifier

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I will get a Soloist because I really only want an amp, and Burson got back to me very quickly to confirm that the Soloist amp is slightly better than the Conductor amp. In their minds, the Conductor DAC is better than my Bifrost 2, but I’m fine keeping that. And after looking at my powered monitors, they accept XLR cables, so I’ll order some cheap (but good) ones from Blue Jeans.

It seems I missed the 20% off sale, which ended Monday in Australia (which was Sunday in the US) but they were nice enough to offer it to me anyway.

3 Likes

That’s awesome! Congratulations, and as always, looking forward to your impressions.

Welcome to the #soloistgang comprised of 3 people so far! Feel free to join us anytime @ValentineLuke! lol

What monitors are you using? I’m tired of these active speakers that have an app alongside them…it can get very frustrating.

Oh, how nice of them! Congrats! Looking forward to what you think of yours when it arrives.

1 Like

I bet you’ll be really impressed. And also consider Burson equipment among the best dollar-for-dollar values, as well as some of the best equipment regardless of price.

1 Like

Haha. I’m thinking about it…

1 Like

Thanks for a nice writeup!

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words!

Great write up @hifiDJ the photographer in me wants to see more of your desktop setup! Also, I am a big fan of KEF stuff so I see those cheeky guys poking their beautiful faces out in the background!

1 Like

Thanks Marcello, appreciate it!

Haha there’s nothing more on the desk so you won’t see much…the KEFs are indeed beautiful! But, recommend them I do not!

1 Like

Why don’t you recommend them? What model are they?

1 Like

I would like to know as well. Since I 'm a Kef owner they do require a little power. And a sub to supplement the bass. I’ve only owned the R series.

1 Like

These are the KEF LSX which are active speakers. I have it connected via optical through a caldigit thunderbolt 3 dock (wish it had USB but it doesn’t).

The LSX, I think, can be very great nearfield desktop speakers. There are no other active speakers in this price range offering this kind of size and aesthetics (the kanto tuks and klipsch fives do look good but are still bigger), as far as I know. Sound is great when set up properly, but unless you have a fully treated room, you MUST utilize the DSP functionality to get the most out of them, or they will sound muddy and claustrophobic.

The app is where the problem lies. I know KEF is not a software company so I expected a slightly less than stellar app, but the lack of support/improvements shows. Although it is a simple app in practice, its execution is plagued by multiple disconnects and instabilities. Think of when you buy a cheap smart light and connect it for the first time to your home wifi…

Also, the remote is straight crap. Since the LSX lack any physical controls, you would have to use the app or the remote exclusively. The app is slow and unresponsive, while the remote is so cheap-feeling it creaks every time I press something.

It would be a compromise to go through the frustration only once, then forget about the app. However, if the LSX loses its internet connection or restarts at any point due to power outages or whatnot, it will not save its current DSP settings and will go back to its original, muddy sound. Then, you’d have to deal with the app again, if it ever decides to reconnect. Forget about connecting it through a preamp as well, because using the line-in does not bypass its DAC.

Overall, I think the LSX is not a bad speaker. However, the type of speaker it was intended to be, which is more of a lifestyle type of speaker, requires a seamless user experience. And, it does not live up to that.

So, I would only recommend it if size and aesthetics are your priority, and are willing to look past user experience.

5 Likes

I have 2 3602 spako’s op amps it would be cool to try them out on my Conductor 3XR. I know absolutely nothing about compatibility. Sent message over to Sparko but like to see if anyone here knows. Also I don’t know which would be the output if that’s correct term used.

If the internals are similar to the soloist, then you have to make sure that the opamps are “dual” opamps not single ones. Replacing the opamps should be as simple as lining up the little notch. If you mess that up then you’ll probably need new opamps.

I recommend you contact Burson as well for a more thorough guide. They respond pretty quickly. I am not an expert so it is possible I am missing some steps.

I replaced the two Vivid’s in the LP section and I’m getting more bass and treble. The vocals sound even more centered. It was not night and day as the V6 are so good to begin with. If any Burson out there the Sparko Labs SS3602 are really good.

3 Likes

Nice! Have a preference so far?

I favor the ss3602 seems like better presentation of low end and more sparkle on top. I’d probably like the Classic over Vivid. I noticed better center image with ss3602 op amps.

1 Like

So I the ss3602 is great option if you are looking for more bass quantity. Notice better low end out of my LCD 2.

1 Like

I’m still doing amp comparisons, so it will be another day or two before I write down my thoughts on the Soloist, but I was wondering if anyone had preferences on low vs medium vs high gain.

I tried my Stellia on low gain and it seemed too laid back to me. Medium gain sounded better but I can only take the volume up to 10 or so.

With my Verite, I’m debating whether I prefer high gain (same problem with volume) or medium gain with a bit more flexibility.

1 Like

Got yours already? That was quick!

Oooh, would love to know synergy between Verite in particular since I’m eyeing a stabilized VC.

As for preference, on my Clears I prefer low gain. All other headphones I have I prefer medium (6xx, Aeolus, Sundara). That being said, I feed it through the RME–which to my knowledge–is the only DAC with adjustable reference values. That allows me to play a lot with headroom. So, running Clears on low gain (using +7dBu), I’m typically around 70 for volume. The others (using -5dBu), I’m around the 60s.

Maybe you haven’t warmed it up too much, which is why it may seem too laid-back.

1 Like