Campfire Audio - Official Thread

Nice friend! I’ve been waiting for someone to cover these IEMS to a reasonable degree. Thank you. :relaxed:

Don’t keep us in suspense. What were the magic tips you ended up using???

First time ever as these don’t really sound outstanding on any other earbuds in my collection except the Trifecta…

SpinFit‘s, the XL Version with 14mm outer diameter.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing these impressions. Trifecta was the de facto show highlight of CanJam SoCal for me and the one IEM I tried that weekend that’s still haunting me to this day. Would love to read more impressions when you’re able.

I had the pleasure of testing the Astell & Kern Odyssey, the Odin and the Trifecta simultaneously last week.

The Odyssey was immediately out of the race because neither I nor anyone else present could place this plug in our ears, no matter which tip we used.

I have never tested such a huge, unergonomically shaped earphone, especially in this price range.

I then had the Odin & the Trifecta delivered to my home for testing, in order to test them extensively and with familiar hardware.

The final decision was then made quite quickly, since in my opinion the tonal and acoustic differences are very quickly and clearly recognizable in favor of the Trifecta.

Alone the miserable vent-holes on the Odin, which are far too weakly dimensioned, get on my nerves.

Every time the dynamic drivers crack when inserting and adjusting the earphones. Likewise if the jaw moves, for $3300 an absolute no-go, especially since the problem has long been known.

Empire Ears made a miserable impression on me during this test phase.
Fit, technical shortcomings, far too much bass with one or the other model, plus these completely exorbitant prices in relation to the quality offered???

No thank you!!!

Campfire Audio, on the other hand, once again offers something very special, which is mature and also delivers in the price range called for.

I don’t currently know of any closed headphones in the high-price range that would be much better in terms of technology, sound and dynamics.

For this reason I have decided on a blue variant of the Trifecta for my collection, which will be delivered in a quantity of 33 pieces (not all for me :joy: ) at the beginning of November.

3 Likes

Does the Trifecta exhibit any of this behavior? This is my biggest complaint about the Dorado 2020 - I get quite a bit of driver flex or overpressure when using any tips other than the supplied CFA Marshmallows. I really enjoy the sound otherwise, but it’s rather annoying when it happens.

Regards,
Vic

Not during the 3 Days I tested it.

1 Like

Short statement about the CA Supermoon (Universal), extremely clean and detailed in the sound reproduction, incredibly realistic and precise music representation, finally an earphone that really sounds like a planer driver.

In addition, ergonomically almost perfectly modeled, very little weight, making it one of the most comfortable in-ears on the market.

Campfire Audio, their sound tuning and my personal ear canal, that just fits.

The Suupermoon is not the most emotional earphone in their portfolio, but it’s definitely the “purest”.

When I get my own Trifecta in early or mid-November, I will possibly list my very personal model classification here, with its specific characteristics and qualities.

4 Likes

Glad you’re enjoying the Supermoon. Along with the Elysian/Effect Audio Gaea, and Elysian Diva they pretty much rule the sub $2K price bracket right now. Have you received your Trifecta yet? A number of my friends got theirs last week and impressions have been (unsurprisingly) overwhelmingly positive.

1 Like
1 Like

The Trifecta are under no circumstances comparable to “normal” high-quality in-ears.

I have personally never heard such a full and massive sound from any other in-ear.

This takes some getting used to at the beginning, as a powerful air vibration, a gigantic sound wave, so to speak, has a direct effect on your auditory canal.
You get the full sonic influence of high-quality closed over-ear headphones, “flushed” directly into your ear.
After a short period of getting used to, this is a fascinating and unquestionably powerful sound experience, which is absolutely addictive.

I have yet to experience a better three-dimensional layout and more precise imaging of a sonic performance and stage presence.

The dynamics and precision of the bass presentation is phenomenal for an in-ear.

With the Trifecta, CA has an in-ear on the market that has absolutely unique selling points in many respects, and this in a very, very positive sense. :100:

5 Likes

This is so nice to hear. I’m dying to try them. Being a CA ATLAS owner the trifecta appear to be an incredible step up.

One question kind sir. Do you have to feed these IEMS serious good quality recordings only? Given your description it sounds like there would be no mercy on lesser fidelity. Love to hear your thoughts. :slight_smile:
And congrats on the purchase.

2 Likes

In the case of the Trifecta, CA has once again managed to achieve a tonality that allows the earphones to sound incredibly deep, wide, open and airy, without causing this with excessively raised high frequencies.
(like many ChiFi in-ears “artificially conjure it up”)

This makes the Trifecta appear more “warm” and natural, so poorly mastered recordings are perceptible but not penetrating.

Thus, these less “audiophile” productions are not only tolerable, but even fun.

1 Like

They look pretty large and heavy. Is that an issue for you? My ears tend to be pretty sensitive to size and weight of iems.

1 Like

Briefly about the scope of delivery of the Trifecta.

It is delivered in a foldable wooden box:

The in-ears are in a magnetically lockable leather case and the usual protective bag:

In addition, another storage bag with the two additional cables 2.5 & 4.4mm:

A small box with silicon & foam tips & CA Pin & Cleaner,
another box with the famous ball tickeler, and some certificates.

Uuuhhhhhh :smiling_face:

All in all quite extensive.

———————————————————

As for the size and weight of the earbud, I can reassure you, compared to Empire Ears’ flagships the Trifecta is a Mini Cooper.

I once held some of the common and well-known in-ears against it and I think you can already see that the Trifecta is in a relatively normal range in terms of size.

In terms of weight, both the OH10 and Solaris are marginally heavier, with the Trifecta weighing about on par with the rest of the field.

———————————————————

In the meantime I would say that I have become a big fan of Campfire Audio and have a small but fine collection of their products.

Unlike a well-known and revered Asian in-ear guru whose holy grail is the headphone drive is this darling:

as he believes the sound of an in-ear or headphone cannot be improved or “saved” or „fixed“ by DAC or amp influence…………

I have a different opinion on that.

For the entire CA portfolio I use mainly either the Chord Mojo2 or the Questyle M15 depending on the model and I am absolutely satisfied with it.

8 Likes

Terrific overview and photos. Really nice of you to share all this. I also really like the “gold hand ‘ test for the IEMS. Very classy and cool touch. The packaging looks first rate and it appears so is the sound !

4 Likes

Great overview I’m glad you finally got your hands on your set. I’ve had my own set for about a month now and they are unequivocally my favorite IEMs. I agree that the imaging and layering on these things are absolutely superb. Further the massive full bodied top to bottom analogue DD sound makes them without peer on the current marketplace. I did a full review including some comparisons with other TOTL sets on Head Fi if anyone is interested.

2 Likes

I used to own the Atlas and these are indeed a massive step up. The 3 drivers function as one-- the Trifecta takes a single DD sound to the highest level.

2 Likes

That’s awesome! The packaging is wonderful.

To be honest, I could very well do without a wooden box or the famous finger if a useful and decent number of tips were included, or 1 cable with various adapters (MMCX is too sensitive to constantly change the cable).

Then you would have the opportunity to make fine adjustments to the sound with the tips, so there would be no comments like yours on the CanJam video that the Trifecta was the disappointment of the fair.

With the right tip, this sounds simply fantastic.

Fiio or Dunu show what an almost perfect delivery package could look like.

3 Likes