Campfire Audio - Official Thread

The sort of information companies need to stick on their site! Thanks.

I suspect, struggling with finding a small enough tip for the 4.5mm diameter I have now, this wouldnt work for me …

2 Likes

It might. They provide a selection of really small eartips with the iems. I didn’t have any problem in finding tips that would fit from my existing collection of eartips.

Haha. I mean small. SMALL. As in around 9mm diameter. Smaller than SS Spinfits and AZLA

These are the smallest. One is about 9mm.

1 Like

In reading a good 10.5mm there :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s amazing how much a small difference makes.

1 Like

Any reports on the Ara yet? I’m intrigued by what little I’ve heard about them, which is that they have a ‘studio’ signature. I have the OG Solaris, so not sure I can justify another outlay on IEMs (and might want to branch out to a different maker if I did).

2 Likes

I don’t have a pair!

Sorry, didn’t mean to reply directly to you, was putting it out there for the group.

Nothing super concrete yet as there are only a few units out there right now. Actual shipping isn’t supposed to happen until around the 18th this month.

From what I’ve read though, it seems to be Campfire’s take on a “reference” tuning and not the Andromeda Gold that people thought it would be.

1 Like

I just wanted to give an update on the Campfire Ara. I’ve done some measurements and now have a first impression:

To me the Ara sounds like a straightforward upgrade over the Andromeda if you’re someone who prefers the Andromeda from a 2.5 ohm output impedance source. Basically, it has less bass, and is more analytic. Overall the balance is also better than the Andromeda with more midrange presence. I do hear that dip around 2.5khz (or rather the elevation before it is more pronounced as a result), and there’s a slight forwardness to 5khz, but not enough to cause any percussion compression issues. The rest of the treble balance is also excellent, better than that of the OG Andromeda (2020 is a bit more relaxed).

A few other things:

The Ara has an impressively wide and layered soundstage for an IEM - this is perhaps its most interesting quality, and it jumped out at me right away. It’s not that everything sounds spacious, certain tones can come across quite forward and intimate, but there’s a really interesting range for depth. Front left and front right in particular are really impressive.

This also doesn’t sound like what I was used to with other Campfire Audio multi-BA IEMs, meaning something about the timbre sounds a bit more natural. Also, I feel like the bass performs better? Not just that it’s at a more flat level, it feels tighter and almost punchier than the Andromeda. I’m now curious as to what they did differently with their BA implementation.

Overall, my first impression of the Ara has been very positive. I think I almost wasn’t expecting to like it as much as I do because I generally prefer a bit more bass than the measurements indicate. But really, the Ara is a solid performer with a well-balanced tonality for anyone looking for something almost resembling a modern DF neutral (even though it’s not that… it’s way more normal than that haha).

14 Likes

May I ask what your source was, please, @Resolve?

Thanks for the great first impressions! Your description of the soundstage and timbre makes the Ara all the more appealing.

For this testing I used the iFi iDSD Micro Black Label to ensure low OI. But for portable use I’d recommend it with a DAP.

2 Likes

Thank you, I very much appreciate the reply! I asked because I wonder if the Ara’s frequency response is as susceptible to OI differences as the Andromeda. Perhaps the bass performance you hear is the Ara’s equivalent version of the bass-heavy sound that a low OI would likewise produce on the Andro? Or maybe the bass sound is because of the BA implementation, as you suggest, with the four BAs dedicated to the bass frequencies? Either way, your description of the Ara has made them sound more appealing than other impressions I’ve read, thank you.

3 Likes

Fun podcast on new Campfire models/updates … from the Darko site … Darko podcast

6 Likes

Im not an IEM guy (at least not yet) but may take the plunge for a nice portable rig to pair with my Black Label or maybe a standalone DAP.

Very intrigued by the Ara. The Andromeda and Solaris were both interesting but I held off on them for various reasons: fit, hiss, size, those kind of things.

Does anyone know if there is as much an issue with hiss with this one compared to the Solaris and Andro? I have a Black Label that would probably drive it fairly quietly but Im thinking more along the lines of direct DAP use, which may be nosier or even an tablet or phone, which may just outright suck.

I think ultimately I would approve of the U12T but its a tad out of the price range for what may be a bit of a risky purchase for something I dont know if I will like. The Ara seems like it may be a reasonable compromise within the range I am looking at.

Or if someone just wants to tell me what IEM sounds like an Auteur than the battle is won (if I can afford it) :wink:.

3 Likes

Little late to the Ara party but I managed to spend some time with them finally. They are definitely what I would call Campfire Audio’s “reference-tuned” IEM. From a technical performance perspective they are quite good and if you want the Andromeda without the fun elements I would say the Ara fulfills that role. From a pure tonality perspective, it reminds me a lot of the 64 Audio U18t although it doesn’t have nearly the same amount of detail.

Overall I think the Ara is a relatively safe choice if you prefer a more neutral tonality and don’t enjoy too much low-end thump. Personally not my preference for listening but they are good IEMs overall for those that want that tonality but don’t want to shell over $3k for the U18t.

9 Likes

Very nice synopsis my fearless leader. Love to try them someday. Still enjoying my Atlas’s I bought from your company a few months ago. I guess you could say I’m in the dream state with them. Everyday is bliss listening. :slight_smile:
Anyhow. Bought a backup cable to go with them to show my commitment to their awesomeness.

5 Likes

Great writeup @taronlissimore.

check out @Precogvision review of the Campfire Ara below

2 Likes

The Trifecta is by far the most tip-dependent in-ear I’ve ever had the pleasure of hearing. In the past few days I’ve tried about 20 - 30 different tips and these earphones always react extremely in terms of tonal reproduction quality.

It is well known that dynamic drivers react much more sensitively to tips, but three dynamic drivers… phew that requires a lot of effort in the process of finding the ideal tonal tuning.

But when this “act” is successfully completed,

Oh my God

I have never heard a more massive, detailed, spacious and natural sound from any other in-ear.

The Trifecta, in terms of detail and naturalness, is at least on par with the Odin, but has a more defined and structured bass and a much, and I mean much larger, deeper and more clearly structured soundstage.

I was amazed at how extremely realistic the depiction came across.
I used these earphones to watch movies and caught myself turning my head several times thinking there was someone or something else in the room with me… scary.

Due to the fact that this effort is necessary with the tips, I can imagine that one or the other evaluation will not be too positive, since the vast majority of reviewers simply do not make this effort.

Unfortunately!

With the Trifecta we move technically and sonically in the area of a high-end headphone in the style of a Utopia.

7 Likes