Campfire Audio Solaris 2020 In-Ear Headphones - Official Thread

I don’t know that I was merely speculating. The wording of the documentation in the LE has admittedly made me wonder.

1 Like

I look forward to the reviews of this new ltd edition, I’m sure a bunch of folks will offer comparative impressions with the 2020.

If CA were to offer a slightly darker version of the 2020, I’d be very interested (not that I expect this new ltd edition to be darker)

1 Like

The ceramic tuning chamber in the LE is the same one they used in the SE (which wasn’t in the 2020). This same chamber was also in the MW10 Andromeda and I think the reason the MW10 sounded closer to the SE Solaris than the 2020 Andromeda did and I think it’s the reason the SE was a little more dyamic and clear compared to the OG Solaris. If the LE can recapture this minus the 8k peak it could conceivably indeed be a “best of all possible worlds” Solaris and something I may indeed consider if I ever decide to own a Solaris again (assuming, of course, that I don’t go instead for one of the special editions that will inevitably come out between now and then).

3 Likes

Relative to the 2020, I am finding the LE to have a bit more elevated and textured mids, smoother treble, and a more expansive soundstage.
In fact, I’m now selling my 2020 because I prefer the LE overall…

1 Like

Thank you for the reply - that sounds ideal! All those characteristics are very appealing. GLWS of the 2020, it’s good to hear you’ve found a new favorite!

Some additional comparisons now that I’ve had the Z1R, MEST, Nio, and Andromeda MW10:

Campfire Solaris 2020 vs

• Sony IER-Z1R: Compared the Solaris 2020, the IER-Z1R has slightly better detail retrieval, smoother treble (barring cymbals, which can come across as rather sharp), and significantly better bass quality (quantity, texture). But it also has reduced soundstage, it’s not as holographic, and the mids are much thinner than the Solaris 2020. Strings of all kinds are more engaging on the Solaris 2020: cellos and violins have more life, and guitars (acoustic and electric) have more crunch. Overall the IER-Z1R is less engaging but also safer than the Solaris 2020, if you ignore its ridiculous fit.
  • Unique Melody MEST: The MEST boasts better detail retrieval and significantly better bass (slam, texture). It has a smaller soundstage than the 2020 but manages to be as holographic - sometimes more holographic. It’s an engaging listen, moreso than the IER-Z1R. The MEST was missing too much in the mids for my own taste, and the acoustic guitar in complex post-rock tracks sometimes got lost. However, is a solid rec for people that don’t care for the thick, rich mids of the Solaris 2020.
  • Campfire Andromeda MW10: The MW10 has a similarly wide soundstage and also safer overall tuning. It has smoother treble, which some will prefer, and while the bass isn’t DD bass, it reaches deep enough into sub-bass to be satisfying. The mids are not too thick - a tad on the warm side, not thin like the Z1R, but not syrupy like the the Solaris 2020. Overall the MW10 is almost as engaging as the Solaris 2020, with a well-loved tuning, and it would be my blind rec to most people.
  • 64 Audio Nio: I’ve talked about the Nio before, but I’ve grown to love it. It is now my second favorite IEM next to the Solaris 2020, and it could not be more different. The Nio has less soundstage, worse technicalities, and struggles with complex tracks in comparison. But it has this addictive, syrupy, thick bass, just wow. It has relaxing, smooth treble with a spike near 17k to retain airiness. And the mids are also fantastic - thick, enveloping, a warm blanket that can sometimes be a bit too much but it’s just what you want in some situations. It’s not as versatile, and I wouldn’t recommend it as an only IEM. But it’s an amazing, similarly emotional complement to the Solaris 2020, and I love it.

Aside from the MEST, these IEMs have incredible build quality. They all ooze quality and craftsmanship. And they are all beautiful, absolutely stunning in person. But in the end, the Solaris 2020 has this unique combination you won’t find together in any of the above:

• respectable sub-bass quantity
  • thick, emotional mids
  • sparkly, airy, and detailed treble
  • enveloping and wide soundstage

The IER-Z1R, MW10, MEST, and Nio - each may hit some of these points, but none of them hit all of them. None except the Solaris 2020. And that’s why, as I begin to pare down my collection to one IEM, the Solaris 2020 will be the one I keep.

6 Likes

Evidently we have very similar taste. On that note I would encourage you to try the Elysium if you have the means…and if perchance you can hear it through a Shanling M8 you’ll be hearing something pretty special imho

2 Likes