Cayin N8 - DAP - Official Thread

If ever I stop listening to this marvelous machine and regain any semblance of speech, I’ll report back my impressions with it paired with Solaris '20, Valkyries, and some over ears.

While I can still type, @Torq which microfiber case are you using for the N8? Any pictures? Did you tape on the little side protectors? The N8 looks glorious with or without the Dignis case. But I’m clumsy and need to protect precious things from myself, so thinking of going the side protector + Dignis case route. A little worried the film/tape will ruin the N8 body over time though.

4 Likes

The SE output on the N8 is still the greatest thing I’ve ever heard.

1 Like

It’s just a cheap “Inateck” felt slip case. It’s not specific to the N8, or even specific for audio gear etc. They’re on Amazon in a bunch of sizes … from little DAP-appropriate ones all the way up to large laptops.

And no, I haven’t used the stick-on protectors/bumpers at all. I probably would if I was actually going to use the included case, but at least so far I haven’t done that.

2 Likes

Ah that explains why I couldn’t find anything else specific to the N8. I thoroughly enjoyed your review of this “musical tank” (is that description acceptable?) and what got me to purchase it! So glad I did, and in a way, so glad you’ve stopped reviewing while I’m just getting into this hobby so that I don’t go broke! Thanks for your expertise @Torq!

The SE output by itself easily beats any and all of my current portable DAC/Amps in terms of power, sound quality, noise (non-existent on my IEMs) and so on. Which may not be a fair comparison. I figured since I’ve already spent so much on these lesser priced gear bought for specific purposes and uses, I thought there must be one overarching device for my intended uses being always on the go even during this pandemic (and is perhaps the reason why I’m “clumsy” and dropping things). I’m so happy I pulled the trigger on the N8. So far, at least for me, it’s the Oda Nobunaga - the “Great Unifier” - of devices.

2 Likes

The n6ii + E01 is the closest I’ve heard to the N8, the latter of which is just a little too heavy and unwieldy to really be portable. If I ever decide to splurge on a summit-fi transportable source for home the N8 is at the top of my list.

3 Likes

I kinda like how heavy it is. It’s just begs not to be forgotten and dropped by me haha. It’s definitely not EDC material, but so far I find it’s the same level of bloat and inconvenience as my phone + HipDAC combo less the USB cable connecting the two. I still have the Lotoo S1 (thanks again for tuning me into that device!) if I need to do quick runs. But yeah, the N8 is worth the ticket price plus more for my use case!

1 Like

i everyone, I currently use the Chord Mojo with my iPhone with an Audioquest Diamond (all silver USB). I love the sound signature of Mojo, but I am tiring of the stacking. I was wondering if strictly looking on audio quality, how does the Cayin or other DAPs compare to the Mojo? Thank you so much! Btw, using 64audio U12t, and Nios.

1 Like

I have the N6II with E02 and N8. In my opinion, the N6II is very close to the N8. So close that, considering the better operating system, better player apps, better screen and the chance to swap amp modules overweighs the improvements in sound. I use it on the go a lot.
The N8 stays home. The N6 II is around 1300 or 1400$ with E02 vs. The 3400+$ for N8.

I consider the N6II a price /value champ anyways, because it easily outclassed my SP1000M in regards to sound which is 1000$ more. But that’s definitely a matter of preference.

If you just want THE best sounding DAP period, it’s probably the N8. Impact and dynamics are outrageous, even compared to high class desktop solutions.

2 Likes

I’d agree the N6ii is really a lot closer to the N8 than I would have expected, given the large price disparity. And the fact it can support on-device streaming is a definite point in its favor.

I’d been splitting those duties between an SP2000 and the N8. Over time the N8 has spent progressively more of its time in tube mode, which has always been my favorite way to listen with it, to the point where I generally just grab the SP2000 if I’m going to be solid-state anyway.

Given I’m in the midst of trying to pair down my remaining gear (the less I have to cart all over the world the better), I took a look at the N6ii as a potential “most of the best of both worlds” solution and a possible way to replace either, or both, of the units I own.

To that end, I ordered an N6ii with all four audio motherboards to see how close I could get to what I had … which turned out like this (with all caveats regarding preferences, gear pairing, and so on):

A01 - AKM 4497:

This was, unsurprisingly, the closest sounding board to the N8 (in its solid-state mode). And it is really very close indeed. Closer than I’d have expected. But SP2000 eclipses both (again with N8 in solid-state mode), so there was going to have to be more to using the N6ii than just the A01 setup was able to provide.

T01 - Dual PCM1792A:

I found this to be the way I enjoyed the N6ii the most. The A01 is a little more technically proficient, and discernibly more resolving, but the T01 was more organic and engaging.

I had hoped that, in the absence of a NuTube option for the N6ii that the A01 would be the closest to the N8 in that mode. And while it is the closest, it still doesn’t sound remotely the same, nor does it sound like “tubes”. It’s excellent, don’t get me wrong, but it’s in no way the same sort of signature as the NuTube output. So that scratched that idea.

E01 - ESS 9038Pro:

A very clean/pure sound albeit with a hint of warmth to the mids in class A operation, but otherwise lacked low-end dynamics, staging was flat (though wider than A01 or T01). I could see it as a “reference” board, if kept in class A mode.

I wouldn’t use it in AB mode for any reason; the modest power bump you get for it still doesn’t get it to where it needs to be will full-size cans so why give up the nicer tone of class A?

E02 - Dual ESS 9038Q2M:

Despite using a lower-spec version of the 9038 (the Pro is the “big boy”, the Q2M is a “mobile” part), having two of them pays dividends in terms of staging (wider - in fact the widest of the four) and separation. Though depth-wise projection wasn’t as good for me as the A01 or T01.

The balanced-only output is back in line with the power available from the A01 and T01, though only exceeds them in 32Ω (its slightly behind at higher impedances).

But the only draw here, for me, would be the dedicated line-out - which bypasses the amp stage (not the case with the A01, T01 or E01). This was clearly preferable when listening via an external amp (something I did for shits-and-giggles; it is not how I’d use this).

But since I consistently preferred the E01 in class A mode to the E02, it would be moot anyway.

In the end, as good as the N6ii is (and for some, if you don’t need/want the N8’s tube output it may be preferable especially given the ability to alter its character with different boards), it just wasn’t a viable replacement for the N8 for me.

In “tube” mode, the N8 is my overall favorite sounding DAP.

If the N3 Pro was streaming capable, I could see going with an SP2000/N3 Pro combination. Maybe I’ll wind up keeping the SP2000 and swapping the N8 for a C9 (which is a dedicated NuTube based battery-powered amp).

Now … what was I on about again?

7 Likes

Hmmm. I didn’t run the N8 in tube mode too often. I used it for my EE Hero review but found the tube mode lacking a bit of resolution and dynamics vs. balanced. I will try with other IEMs and hopefully soon with my Clears…

1 Like

It’s not for everyone … but the tube mode is really kind of the point of the N8 for me. Of course, it very much depends on what you consider the most important aspects of music reproduction. And there’s also what I consider when doing “review” style listening vs. what I want when I am relaxing and listening purely for pleasure.

For me, if I was only going to use it primarily in solid-state mode, there were options I liked as well or better, at lower cost, size and weight, that offered on-device streaming (including the N6ii).

3 Likes

How would you describe the differences in sound between E01 & E02? I only have the E02 since I usually prefer balanced. What might be the advantage soundwise of E01?

Thanks,

Tom

The E02 has wider staging and slightly better separation, but a colder tone. Dynamics were maybe a hair better, but dependent on transducers as to how discernible this was Other than that, it just offered more power than the E01 and a true, pure, line-out (which isn’t relevant unless feeding an outboard amplifier).

The E01, in Class A mode, has a hint of warmth in the mid-range, a slightly narrower stage presentation, separation wasn’t quite as well delineated, but overall was a more coherent presentation for me. Provided you can live with the more limited power output.

5 Likes

Thanks a lot for elaborating. :+1::blush:

@Torq Would you mind expanding on why you don’t like the balanced tube output of the N8ii? A friend of mine has one on loan, and is thinking of buying it, and I wanted to make sure that he checks the balanced tube output to see if this is an issue for him. But I’m not sure what to tell him.

1 Like

The short version is that it doesn’t sound particularly “tube like”.

This is in contrast to the original N8, that did exhibit a nice level of “tube flavor”.

The N8ii’s balanced tube configuration will cancel out the even-order harmonics you usually get from the NuTube (this is true of all fully balanced tube amplifiers vs. a single ended equivalent), so that yields rather less “tube-flavor” than the original N8.

This was the case with the N8 vs. the C9’s tube output as well. Not that it isn’t different to the solid-state output, but it isn’t different enough for me.

Basically in terms of “tubeyness” the N8 is the best, the C9 has noticeably less, and the N8ii even less than the C9.

The Cayin rep on Head-Fi has said as much. In fact he went as far as to suggest anyone wanting the N8’s level of tube flavor probably shouldn’t get the N8ii.

4 Likes

Thanks, I appreciate the thorough answer.

1 Like