Choices for sub-$1,000 all-rounder headphone?

I spent a couple hours reading over all your posts and thinking about different options.

The HD-600 would be more balanced than my K702 but in the long run I think I would be better off putting that money toward expanding my budget into the Focal Clear / ZMF Aeolus range.

I think my current amp and dac will work happily with either choice and moving to an all-tube amp will be less of a priority. More important to focus on the headphones first I think.

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to reply here. It has been a huge help and probably saved me money too.

5 Likes

Yes, particularly if you are trying to maximize quality for a specific budget. However, I do encourage everyone to experience the enduring charms of the 600/650/6XX too. There is beauty in the limitations – with the right setup they have a smooth and easy slickness.

5 Likes

The Aeolus w/Verite pads is the most neutral & resolving (though still entertaining as all get-out) version of the Aeolus. It’s open back; utterly non-fatiguing; the kind of HP you can wear for hours.

I’ve heard some high-resolution HPs (HD800; Verite open & closed) and find the Aeolus, not renowned for resolution, actually isn’t far behind. It’s just so fun & entertaining that many assume it can’t resolve well (and it obviously can).

However, I kinda doubt any sub-$1000 Aeolus (Aeoli?) can be found.

3 Likes

have you considered getting both the hifiman ananda and the beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80ohm? those two would be a decent buy to fill in any immediate need for good audio. Both can also be re-sold easily as there’s always demand for them to fund future upgrades.

have you considered getting both the hifiman ananda and the beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80ohm? those two would be a decent buy to fill in any immediate need for good audio. Both can also be re-sold easily as there’s always demand for them to fund future upgrades.

I haven’t looked at these models, thanks for the suggestion. Buying used and reselling is a possible option.

If I were to go with an intermediate step I would probably go with HD-600. Along with nearly universal acceptance it has become a common language that I would benefit from experiencing.

1 Like