Chord 2go (Streamer) & 2yu (Interface) - Official Thread

So can totally vouch for the Tincogo (2 Pack) Adjustable Iron Display Stand Easel Foldable Tablet from Amazon drastically reducing the heat generated from 2go/Hugo 2. There is still heat but on a scale of 1 to 10 it is now 2 at most, previously had been 8 or 9
Of course I would reckon any kind of tablet/iPad support stand would do the trick.

Is it possible to play music from the USB card on the 2GO via USB Audio Player Pro over the network? If so could somebody please share how to do this?

If not what us the best player to use?

thank you.

1 Like

It works as a DLNA/UPnP Server as well as Renderer.

I donā€™t use Android, but on iOS mConnect can stream from the 2Goā€™s USB card to other DLNA/UPnP devices on the network (works with my Linn Klimax DSM unit, Sonos, the control device itself and so on).

Iā€™ve had Hugo 2 + 2go (H2go) for the last week, streaming Roon via a carefully built wired and wireless network (Ubiquiti EdgeRouter, AmpliFi). It works well except that 2go WiFi seems a bit fickle. For instance, placing the H2go on a wooden coffee table with metal legs causes Roon to stop and skip with the dreaded ā€œloading slowlyā€. As did placing my phone on the same (wooden) table as the H2go. Or even grabbing the H2go on the 2go side. All of this pretty close to AmpliFi meshpoints.

Thanks Torq.

I can see the Chord 2Go in the list of servers on UAPP, but I can only get UAPP to play songs from the SD card natively on my phone, rather than output to the 2Go. Would help if there was a UAPP manual lol.

Well, spoke too soon. For the first time, I had repeated Roon stutters and skips today. Sitting exactly in the same place just outside my first floor patio doors, but during the workday rather than on the weekend. Iā€™m kind of suspecting that the local WiFi 2.4GHz environment is occasionally oversubscribed. Not sure what I can do to fix this, unfortunately. The closest mesh point on my AmpliFi network is no more than 10 ft away.

I sometimes find that if I have to power off 2go it can be ages before it will power on again by pressing the config button. Iā€™ve sometimes seen it take 15 minutes before it will power on. Anybody else experience this?

What is normal start up time? I am considering getting one. I hope you resolve you problem!

It normally starts up fairly quickly when battery is full, it is only when battery is low and using charger it seems to take longer.

2 Likes

Does anyone have experience with the 2go paired with the 2yu as a stand-alone streamer?

1 Like

From everything Iā€™ve read, this is still not even shipping yetā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m waiting for. I want to use it as a battery powered Roon endpoint to use between my stereo, my home office, and the real office (when I am able to go back). Just seems like it can be a versatile piece of gear.

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™d like to use it as a stand-alone streamer (via Ethernet). The fact that theyā€™ve included usb is very impressive at this price point.

1 Like

I really donā€™t see the value proposition in the 2Yu. And I say that as an owner of a Hugo2Go setup. The 2Go only really makes sense paired to the Hugo2, as it makes the Hugo2 a proper transportable solution that you can carry from room to room. (Which is specifically what I purchased it for ā€“ to use Roon+headphones from any room while we are all stuck in quarantine because of COVID-19.)

Even putting aside the bugs with the 2Go (which I wonder if this is another reason they are delaying the launch of the 2Yu, so it isnā€™t rendered stillborn by the 2Goā€™s issues), for a stationary setup, it seems to me there are much better (and more affordable) options than the 2Go+2Yu. ~$2500USD can get you a mighty nice streamerā€¦

(FWIW, Iā€™ve mostly had good luck with my 2Go. But I only use it with Roon, and a lot of the more serious issues seem related to playback from the SD card slots. I have experienced the ā€œvinyl popsā€, but only infrequently such that it hasnā€™t been much of an annoyance for me. My most consistent issue is having to do a full reboot of the 2Go every few days to get it visible to Roon again.)

2 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting. I was hoping that theyā€™d of hammered out their streaming issues that they had with the Poly before releasing their next streaming device. Their hardware side is pretty fantastic and thatā€™s whatā€™s drawn my attention to is pairing.

What sub-$2500 streamers would you recommend?

Thanks for the input.

1 Like

Personally, I use an RPi4 with 7" display running RoPieee to feed my Phonitorxe via USB. But if you donā€™t want USB, there are plenty of good RPi HAT options.

If you want something turnkey, then things like the Auralic Aries G1 or Lumin U1 Mini come to mind. But there are many options, so best to do some googling.

1 Like

The problem here, is the streamers are effectively outsourced as I understand it. They arenā€™t really Chord devices. Hence why they donā€™t even support native DSD mode talking to the Hugo2. And why their DACs are good, but their streamers are steamersā€¦

1 Like

You have something setup incorrectly, then. Native DSD up to DSD256 works fine with 2Go/Hugo2.

1 Like

@Torq, I know there arenā€™t any 2yuā€™s out in the wild yet, but would you recommend this as a streaming solution? I do think Chordā€™s hardware is pretty fantastic. A Chord streamer is very appealing.

Technically, itā€™s not native DSD, itā€™s DoP. The Hugo2 can do DSD512 if fed native DSD, but the 2Go doesnā€™t support it. Only their custom Windows driver can send Chord DACs native DSD512 (since they use a proprietary ā€œnative DSDā€ streaming format instead of the more common XMOS/etc based ā€œnativeā€ ā€“ largely in part because they roll their own USB implementation in the DACs).

(Of course, DSD512 support is a bit academic, anyway, since Chord DACs convert DSD to PCM internally for Robā€™s FPGA tap logic. And there is basically no native DSD512 content available ā€“ its just an upscaling target. So you might as well just upscale to max PCM when sending to a Chord DAC.)

1 Like