Chord 2go (Streamer) & 2yu (Interface) - Official Thread

My Swisscom Internet Box 3 is configured to use both 2.4 and 5GHz bands. It has a feature called “WLAN Steering”, which is described as follows:

The Internet-Box has 2 WLAN networks (2.4 and 5 GHz WLAN). Devices are automatically switched to the optimum WLAN network via WLAN band steering. If you have one or more WLAN-Boxes in your home network, devices will also be steered to the optimum WLAN device.

2 Likes

My AmpliFi setup also does that, but it seems to work fine with the 2go. As I wrote above I sometimes have to power-cycle my Hugo2+2go before it connects to the network, but once it does, it’s staying on for as long as I’m listening, even if I move around the house and garden.

@earnmyturns
To my shame I must admit that when I checked all the settings again today, I found that the 2.4GHz band of the Internet Box was turned off. I had not noticed this, as WLAN Steering forces the SSIDs of the two bands to be identical and I usually use different SSIDs for the two bands in my other WLANs.
I am happy to report that not 2go works with the Swissscom Internet Box 3 / WLAN Box 2 mesh newtwork, even with WLAN steering turned on.

2 Likes

Interesting Chord would develop an ASIO driver for Windows that does DSD512 native and stick with DoP only for Linux.
In my Roon Endpoint (Roon Bridge) running on a Windows 10 PC, I can select native DSD without any issues and the maximum rate indicated for the Hugo 2 in the Roon config page is DSD512. Works without any issues at that rate.

I just got my Odroid N2 yesterday and I am running Volumio (Ver 2.800) on it. Volumio is Linux based and It does DSD512 native to Chord Mojo without any issues. This makes it even more strange Chord does not support DSD512 native on 2go.

When did Chord’s Mojo get the ability to play native DSD512?

Officially it only supports DSD256.

Are you sure Volumio isn’t down-sampling on the fly?

Volumio (set to DSD direct) is definitely not downsampling.

DSD512 is mentioned in several reviews
https://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/chord-electronics-mojo-portable-dacheadphone-amp
https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/hi-fi/best-dacs

Mojo (as Hugo2) is limited to DSD256 with DoP. With DSD native they both accept DSD512.

3 Likes

That’s good to know.

I knew about the DoP limit of DSD256.

Having not read any reviews on Mojo (since I bought one at launch, and sold it maybe 18 months later), I was going by that and Chord’s documentation which only mentions DSD rates up to 256 (4x). And back then DSD256 would often drop-out on some USB chipsets even with the ASIO and native interfaces via Chord’s driver.

Anyway, again, good to know … and not the first time Chord’s documentation wasn’t correct.

3 Likes

Hugo2+2go vs A&ultima SP1000M. The SP1000M was my trusted travel DAP until my frequent flights were stopped by COVID-19. I’ve been at home since March, and I got the Hugo 2+2go to listen to my Roon library & Qobuz from the garden. Finally I have the opportunity to go out of town for a while, and I was trying to decide what to take with me. So, I took the microSD from the SP1000M and inserted it in the 2go. I had BubbleUPnP on my Android phone from my pre-Roon days. After a bit of fiddling, it all works.

I’m using ZMF Verité closed monkeypod headphones, with similar ZMF cables, 1/4in for Hugo 2, balanced 2.5mm for SP1000M. Testing with Brad Shepik’s album Across the Way, 88.2/24. No, did not do serious volume matching, but… Hugo 2+2go win. Greater depth and instrument separation, subtler details, especially the slight “roughness” of plucked strings, crisper cymbal edges. Shepik’s electric guitar does not overwhelm the other instruments. The differences are not huge, but there’s a slight smearing and blending in the SP1000M that was not evident until I did the direct comparison. The SP1000M is still a very good lightweight device, but the portable-ish Hugo 2+2go is striking for how close it gets to my bigger systems (Sonnet Morpheus>ecp DSHA-3F or Yggdrasil A2>Eddie Current Aficionado depending on mood).

I’m taking both on my trip (we are driving) because the whole phone+Hugo 2+2go is still untested for me, unlike the very reliable SP1000M.

6 Likes

I saw the following somewhat disconcerting thread on the Roon forum:

It looks like 2go will be useless for me after September 21st and I will have to revert to streaming to Hugo 2 from a Raspberry via USB.

I mailed Chord support and got the following answer

The 2Go has been with Roon Labs awaiting sign off since before it went on sale and we have worked with Roon to swiftly answer any follow up queries that have been asked. Naturally, we hope that Roon is also working to ensure that this deadline is met for items that are awaiting certification from them to ensure a seamless transition to these new rules.

1 Like

This is from roonlabs blog. The guy responding on the part of Room is Danny - Roon COO:

Agreed, this is the type of behavior that will become impossible after September 21st. The manufacturers of these devices are cheating the process, and you were “duped” into believing it was signed off by us as Roon Ready. This is an

Agreed, this is the type of behavior that will become impossible after September 21st. The manufacturers of these devices are cheating the process, and you were “duped” into believing it was signed off by us as Roon Ready. This is an Example of the trust of the Roon Ready program being eroded by misbehaving

This is one of the things that needs to be fixed before they will be certified. That said, you will still be able to use the 2go via Airplay until they get their act together.

v

1 Like

He also said that the ball was in Chord’s court. Roon is waiting to get info from them, not the other way around.

1 Like

Not info, new firmware. Given how flaky their current Roon firmware is, not surprised.

1 Like

Can I connect any streamer, say Raspberry Pi, to the Chord 2yu through its micro USB input and output from its BNC to a DAC?

I read an update that this is now resolved and a new firmware is coming soon. About time…

What is the power voltage of the 2yu? Is it possible to use a PSU of this voltage to power up the 2yu, independent of 2go?

I just also got an email from Chord stating the following:

We are pleased to announce that following an extremely busy period for Roon’s certification department, the company has granted full certification to the 2go streamer/server, making it fully Roon Ready.
In some circumstances, it may be necessary to reboot the Roon core in order for 2go to refresh its status.
With Roon Ready status now confirmed for 2go, we will soon be able to roll out the latest 2go firmware, which brings new feature-enhancing updates to the device. Follow us on our social media channels for further information in due course.

4 Likes

Hello, Has anyone had any experience with the Chord Go2. I am thinking of matching it with the Hugo 2 as a music server. Any thoughts on how it works. Is it east to operate how does it interact with my PC.
Thank you so much.

1 Like

See the posts above …

If you’re not already intimately familiar with DLNA/UPnP and/or MPD, then I would forget thinking about it as a music server. You will need a controller or client for one or the other (or both) if you want to interact with it from your PC or Mac.

Putting music on it requires pulling the SD cards out, updating them on your PC/Mac, putting them back in, and refreshing the database. This is very slow.

It doesn’t not, as of the current firmware (1.03, which I think was last updated in July of last year), have the ability to address both SD cards simultaneously. You have to use the goFigure app to switch which one it is working with at any given time. As well as being a pain in the arse, this causes problems with UPnP/DLNA controllers and MPD clients.

It works very nicely as a Roon end-point, and honestly that’s the ONLY way I would recommend using it in its current state.

3 Likes

Ian, Thank you. I was hoping I could put together a one unit do it all. I now see that it does not have any way to control the music. Such a shame well built, small footprint. Maybe next new model.
once again thank you.