Current Set-Up Pics - Official Picture Thread

The combination of SR1a and the Vérité, along with the Stellia (and now the Vérité Closed) have, per this thread, upended my setup significantly and are also responsible for a change in my attitude towards the hobby-aspects of the headphone/personal audio world in a similar vein.

For one, I’ve massively downsized my collection of cans and gear. Playing with new stuff is always fun - in its own way - and it has been fascinating to see how far things have come on the less-expensive side of things (the raw performance, objective or subjective, of a Modi 3/Atom/HD6XX combination would have been hard to get at all a few years ago, much less for under $400 total).

BUT … continually playing with new gear, at all points on the price/performance spectrum, comes at the cost of much less time spent listening with my best/favorite gear, which eats into the ultimate level of enjoyment I get from the primary purpose of all of this … enjoying the music.

The practical upshot of which is that I am highly unlikely to bother even listening to new gear, much less writing about it or reviewing it, unless there is a very good chance that it is either an upgrade to my current setup, will replace one or more things I already have, or is new/sufficiently different to warrant adding to my system.

And at present, it’s a very short list of “maybe” items (nothing that’s actually shipping today, and in fact nothing that even will necessarily make it to market) that’s even a candidate for the above.

Funny place to find oneself after the last seven years, but quite a welcome one too!

13 Likes