Currently Perceived “End Game”

I’ve always been intrigued by the LCD-i4.

These could possibly be my portable ‘end game’ as well.

2 Likes

I know a few people who are not a fan of its sound. It has the worst isolation ever. And it can be a little laid-back and smooth for someone who prefers an aggressive/bright sound like the stock HD800 or Utopia. But to me, its the more natural sounding in tone and timbre compared to the other big-boy IEMs like the Tia Fourte and U18t.

1 Like

I love Audeze’s ‘house’ sound. My current ‘best’ headphones are the LCD-X.

I think that going into the LCD-i4’s one should be aware that they don’t offer isolation, as it’s inherent to their design.

As far as tonality, I’m on board with the warmer Harman curve.

1 Like

I’ve reached my end game :slight_smile:

Isolation rig
Sony DMP-Z1 -> (Sony MDR-Z1R, IER-Z1R)

Open-back rig
Sony HAP-ZH1ES -> Woo Audio WA33 Elite JPS-edition -> Abyss Diana Phi

6 Likes

Really nice setup. I enjoyed your post regarding the Woo “Elite Edition”.

The IER-Z1R are the other (LCD-i4) iem’s that I’m really interested in.

Good place to be. :+1:t4:

3 Likes

After a year of demoing/owning a variety of gear including CFA Atlas, Solaris, QDC Anole VX, Sony IER Z1R, 64 Audio u12t etc. along with various DAPs I’ve attained my goal of having one IEM with a balanced sound that meets my needs as an “all rounder” in the CFA Solaris SE along with another more “fun” sounding IEM for when I want a more robust low end in the EE Legend X. Both are currently run through my Cayin n6ii | A01 with the E01 module on the way. I’m currently not interested in anything and hoping this setup will meet my needs for a while.

8 Likes

I technically am at my “Endgame” for now… Similar to @Torq

Bifrost2 ->Jotunheim R-> SR1a

RME ADI-2DAC ->SPL Phonitor XE-> ZMF Verite open/closed and the Aeolus (replace the Phonitor with my BHC or Cayin Ha-1aMKii for tubey gooeyness)

Cayin N6ii (A01module)-> Campfire Audio Andromeda Golds or Focal Elegia

Iphone11/iPad 11"Pro->DAC dongle->Koss Porta Pros w/Yaxi Pads!

PC gaming: Schiit Hel -> LCD-GX/ZMF Verites/Aeolus
Xbox gaming: Vokyl Erupts/Koss Porta Pros w/Yaxi Pads
Switch gaming: Campfire Audio Cascades/Koss Porta Pros w/Yaxi Pads

It’s been real…I’m out :wink:

*j/k there is no endgame just current game :wink: but I don’t foresee my current setup changing drastically anytime soon, but my excess gear will be listed over the next couple days…HD800(SDR mod) Fostex x Massdrop Purple hearts with modded 2.5mm removable cable, A&K SR15 Norma and probably the Airist R2R DAC…and my OG green beater Andromedas lol…

11 Likes

Having had many perceived end games, each one one a valuable lesson on when to and when not to compromise. That said my end game came with my portable rig, once I got what I wanted on the go as well as at home I knew it was finally done.

Portable:
Sony WM1A -> crazy modified HD650 for increased sensitivity and detail

Desktop
PS Audio P12->Metrum Pavane->Uber BH Crack/modded DNA Stellaris
-> Same crazy modified HD650
-> MySphere 3.1(I must be the only one to prefer 3.1 to 3.2)
-> HEDD

I also have a custom tube amp incoming where I can roll 2A3/300B/45/6A3/AD1/PX4/PX25/KT66 etc. and dual 6SN7 input but one tube does the first stage and the second does the second stage so I can mix and match inputs.

I’m a tube guy at heart, the daily end game is the bottlehead crack which in fairness is better than some of my previous TOTL amplifiers, custom built by me and tuned for my liking. I do have a soft spot for OTL ever since owing the Apex Teton.

DNA Stellaris and MySphere is for the the ultimate listening experience, I could have gotten RAAL yet I prefer the voicing on 3.1 with the DNA amp above anything else.

I did own most of the popular flagships, multiple times in some case and heard almost everything that there is, my setup is what I think is the best for my listening pleasure.

7 Likes

@M17XR2B,

I have both the Crack, modded and BH’s Mainline …in my experience with the Senn’s (mine are the 600’s), one of the best, if not the next pairing has been the 600’s with the Crack and not the Mainline. Its a amazingly good pairing, the only other pairing with the 600’s for me was with the Schiit Vahalla 2…another amazing pairing.

Understand your love for tubes!! Its a “glowing” response!

Alex

NOTE: …and the BH Crack is only $315 base now…such a deal for such great presentation!

3 Likes

The Porta Pros are light and comfortable, so they do get a lot of use. In entry-level, I like the GRADO SR-60e sound better, but the robust non-detachable GRADO cable is far more of an annoyance then the flimsy non-detachable KOSS cable.

I won’t say it’s an end game but iPhone>DFC>PortaPro is a darn fine enjoyable light combo.

I have an aquarium - I used to have real plants and Discus - Now I go for plastic plants and cheap, hardy tetras.

1 Like

This is my portable setup and I’m loving it. The resolution the DFC brings out in the Porta Pros is pretty spectacular.

Very enjoyable listen.

2 Likes

When I have a bit more room and less activity, I substitute the GRADO RS-1e for the PortaPros. Still not a full-size rig. I think you could put in a Sennheiser PX-100 or PX-200 in place of PortaPros if that’s more your style.

I used to write poetry, Now I write Porta-Prose.

5 Likes

Literary Gold.

3 Likes

Prosy-quote from somewhere…to the effect:

The tropical poor spend their days in poverty picking fruit, fishing, and sitting on the beach. The wealthy in industrial countries spend their entire lives working and saving so that one day they may sit by the beach, pick fruit, and go fishing.

The Porta-Pro-Heads (at least @TylersEclectic and @pennstac) are well on their way to a tropical beach, after their tortured trips to Stax and RAAL land. However, @Torq will certainly spend his final days in a space station with rocket booster exhaust cone headphones.

And so goes the audio hobby. And so said they all.

4 Likes

Honestly, I am just starting my search for the end game again. I decided to start with the Mid-tier: Ananda, Elex, Aeon Flow Open/X, and HD-6xx to get a flavor for the different headphones and the technologies so I would have a reference. Right now I put them in that order for this tier that the $700 or less category.

Because of attributes, I like about each of these headphones ZMF Vertie seam to be the next logical step, we see if it last landing spot. The Rad-0 has me intrigued since it seems like it more sorted out Audeze cans on quality

I have a solid story now on AMPs, SPL Phonitor X for home, the boutique built amp TCA HPA-1 amp for work, and XD05plus ( now I have USB-c to USB-c cables sorted) for the road. Home and Work DAC is something I will need to sort out.

This leads me to, I would love to hear what everyone desert island setup is. You get two headphones and one amp. ( yes you have solar, batteries and inverter aka infinite clean power ) @Torq, @Resolve, and @TylersEclectic

4 Likes

Two headphones, one amp…

Well, DAC would probably be the Bifrost2, or I could cheat and pic an AIO DAC/amp combo and another amp… :thinking:

Amp… this is tough… but gonna go with… SPL Phonitor XE

Headphones…ZMF Verite Closed and Focal Utopia.

Since, You can’t use other headphones with my preferred setup… I changed up my answer a bit. But if I could only have one audio setup, currently my answer would be the Schiit Jotunheim R and Bifrost2 with the RAAL SR1A…

Well that was fun :face_with_monocle:
:nerd_face:

If cheating, I would go with the Fidelice By Rupert Neve designs DAC or the Chord Dave and the Verite closed and replace the Utopia with my Jotunheim R as the amp and the SR1A as the second Headphone.

3 Likes

DAC = Fidelice Precision RNDAC
Amp = SPL Phonitor X
Headphones = HiFiMAN Arya, ZMF Verite Open

I’d go with the Arya because a desert island would be pretty hot, so I wouldn’t want something super heavy like an LCD4 weighing me down as well. If it’s an island with lots of noise around me though, it’d be the Verite C or Focal Stellia.

6 Likes

Ahhh, you kind of cheated there with the RNDAC…

You gave yourself two amplifiers. :smirk:

5 Likes

Mine would be pretty much as above …

Blu MK2 -> Chord DAVE -> Chord Étude -> SR1a and ZMF Vérité

Since it’s a desert island, I’ll assume it’s quiet - so no need for closed backs. And if any noisy bleedas show up, I’ll smack them with a coconut and pop them in the pot.

5 Likes

With your system I might have to give you a pair speaker/monitors and chair from the old Maxwell add as well ; )