Custom Cable Making Guide

It’s usually negligible. Ideally, you just want the impedance and capacitance to be as low as possible. Most cable is 0.04 to 0.02 ohms per foot, not enough to matter for most headphone cable lengths.

Also, the cable is in series with the headphone, so using your example, if you had a 10ohm cable and a 300 ohm headphone, you would have a 310 ohm load on the circuit. (Any cable giving you 10ohms better be 100’ long…) If you replaced that with a .5ohm cable (about 15 feet of Mogami quad), you’d have 300.5 ohms.

The difference in power delivered to the headphone is very small, and you may not even notice a change in volume between the two.

Good cable for making headphone cables:
http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/microphone/quad/
http://www.canare.com/ProductItemDisplay.aspx?productItemID=53

I like the Canare 4e6s, as you can strip the nylon jacket (keep the braided shield) and cover it in 750 paracord for a very slim and durable cable.

3 Likes

Awsome, thank you very much for the information, much appreciated.

1 Like

You might want to mention wire gauge.:smiley_cat: Wires in parallel is another factor, I might use four or eight strand.

Does anyone have a good source and recommendation for the really good mini xlrs like ZMF? I’d like to try making a couple of Hart type interconnects. Handy little buggers.

2 Likes

Go to Markertek and search for 4 pin mini female xlr’s. If you are building pigtails, you will want to look for both male and female versions. Switchcraft, Rean (Neutrik) and other companies make them.

1 Like

Thank you. Any tips on who makes the best ones?

Best can be tricky, I like the way the Rean are marked and I have never had one fail. I have also used Switchcraft and Amphenol I believe and those are excellent parts. On most of my headphone cables I use pigtails so I can change out 1/4 inch, 3.5 mm, and four pin XLR connectors without having to disconnect from the headphones each time. I run a company and we have sent out thousands of custom cables using those three companies with excellent results.

2 Likes

There’s a thread here with lots of vendors and recommendations.

Personally I like the Furutech mini-XLRs the best (in both 3 and 4-pin configurations).

4 Likes

LOL I best stay out of this conversation, I do not do boutique connectors, I deal with professionals.

That’s quite the air of smug non-specific projected superiority, and possibly one of the least useful posts I’ve read around here.

4 Likes

The Furutech connectors are better made, easier to work with, and are more compact (thus don’t stick into your shoulder if you tilt your head with your headphones on).

But you do you. They are expensive, and I get why people may not want to go that way. The Rean are perfectly usable.

My preferred mini xlr connectors:

1. Furutech
  2. Rean / Neutrik
  3. everything else
  4. Switchcraft

6 Likes

The only thing I don’t understand is why rhodium is built up so much. Wouldn’t having copper or even gold be better for conductivity?
Rhodium is very low in that degree

I also understand that a lot of connectors are actually brass which is worse by far. I’ve bought $100 cables that had brass alloy in their connectors

Rhodium (and other less-conductive than copper or silver materials) are used because a) it’s hard and b) it doesn’t oxidize (or at least, does so with such little reactivity that the effects are irrelevant).

Copper oxide, which forms naturally on any untreated copper surface over time is a much worse conductor (technically an insulator) than gold or Rhodium. So either you regularly clean your connectors, or fairly quickly the copper becomes a worse conductor at the point of interface.

That said, we’re talking about so little of it that as a plating on a connector it that the difference in conductivity is irrelevant.

3 Likes

Pure copper will tarnish quickly. I wonder what the conductivity is of copper oxide.

That chart is marketing crap, btw. The fact that they boil everything down to a percentage should be a big clue in that regard.

Edit: What Torq said.

4 Likes

Again, the practical effects on conductivity are largely immaterial. The change in resistance over a half inch, while large in % terms is actually meaningless (or at least lost in the weeds) when considering the overall assembly.

You want to see poor conductivity, look at the ratings for most common solders! (You’re talking 1/10th of that of simple copper).

1 Like

How about using straight silver? Would that be hard? I didn’t know that it would not stop the conductivity by a lot. I always assumed it was a dam in a river having a lower metal in the connector

Silver is too soft/malleable to use for the connectors themselves and as a plating and will ablate quickly. It is also worse than copper in terms of oxidization.

3 Likes

Interesting, so rhodium is the best pick in this area it seems? I was planning on buying some of those connectors to try out a cable build.

I have to look for a video containing a soldering tutorial for mini xlr’s.

1 Like

I do have some wireworld cables that have silver plating over the speaker jack. I wonder if that will be problematic in the future?

1 Like