DAC Amp Suggestions

Thank’s very much, this helps a lot!

Hi fellow members,

after realizing, my planned Bottlehead Crack OTL build is out of reach for the next months,
because my buddy got a newborn little son(Felix) and I don´t want to go on his nerves… he is fit with souldering and has all the stuff to do a build like this… also a garage with all the tools for the wooden box… has many ideas and wanted to do the build…

I look for alternatives.

The Eddie Current jr is not available, at the moment. Not sure what it goes for, if it ever comes back.

the Hagerman audio labs “Tuba” is at 649$ plus 100 for the walnut sidepanels + shipping and taxes

I still want an OTL and searched for euopean builders.
Not long time ago, I found reviews about Feliks Audio products http://feliksaudio.pl/en/products.php
The Feliks Audio “Echo” for 499 Euro with free shipping, is in my budget and available
The Feliks Audio “Espressivo Mark II” for 799 Euro would be a stretch, after my RME ADI 2 right now.

Is anyone firm with Feliks Audio products? and has a recommandation for me?

for now I have these DACs:
SMSL SU-8 - will have to go
RME ADI 2 fs (v2) - a week here, so still new toy syndrome
ifi xDSD - my every day carry and I love the sound out of this little unit

my stationary Amp ist still the THX AAA 789 with RCA passtrough for the Tube Amp
I plan to get the SPL Phonitor Xe end of 2020/start 2021
for now I am not sure, if I should keep the 789 or replace it with the Rupert Neve RNHP - can get it for 539€

my current headphones in use are
Focal Elegia - gets most use of all, at the office and at home on the sofa
Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro - want to keep it for looks, build, comfort and hope the tube helps
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm - not really in use - more a closed back backup, if my wife would need some isolation
Sennheiser HD 660s - gets sold and want the HD600 back
Sennheiser 58x - my wifes

planned for the next weeks - the Hifiman Ananda
planned for mid 2020 . the ZMF Aeolus or Auteur - the main reason for the “Tube amp plan”

the second reason is,
my DACs and the amp are nice for what they are, but want to get into the tubiness

I would highly appreciate some ideas
i am not sure about when I will pull the trigger - depends a bit, if the Ananda deal gets real or not

you did realize the funny fact my buddy´s son Felix has a similar name… Feliks audio?

4 Likes

Congrats for your buddy’s newborn son!

For tube amps I only have hybrid tube amps, they give you ‘some’ of the “tubeness” but normally maintain a low output impedance (more headphones can be used with them) I have been very happy with my Schiit Mjolnir 2 and Monolith Liquid Platinum.

I am sure others will chime in with some actual full tube amp recommendations, that will be more useful then what I mentioned above.

2 Likes

thank you Jeremy.

I had the Lyr 3 in mind. However would prefer to go full in and stay away from hybrids for now.

3 Likes

I believe @DecentLevi has a good amount of experience with them.

I liked the unit I heard, which was a bit further up the range than you’re looking. Though I have to say I liked it a lot less after it suddenly got a rather large price hike (value call, not a raw performance one).

From an objective perspective, that’d be a downgrade. You’d lose balanced output (which is more important on a headphone amp than balanced input - electrical noise issues in your environmnet not withstanding), a lot of power, and get a tinnier chassis.

Just be aware that, until you have your ZMF cans, OTL tube amps are a poor match for half the headphones you’re otherwise talking about, and even the EC ZDT Jr ($399) is less than ideal with anything under 100 ohms (150 is better) and not something I’d run with planar cans at all.

If you want pure tubes, and reasonable impedance flexibility, you should have the Woo WA6 on your audition list.

8 Likes

Gosh, @MartinTransporter

I had the Hagerman Tuba amp in house for several days and loved it! For the price its built like a tank, and it is not an OTL amp, but a parafeed amp with glorious output tranformers…I have the BH Crack and BH Mainline, and it compares well with both, better IMO than the Crack and as good in some ways to the Mainline.

Hagerman Audio Labs “Tuba” Parafeed Headphone Amp - Review

Building lots of DIY stuff, this amp impressed the heck out of me as far as just plain built very well and well designed. Unlike the OTL amps, it can drive most anything low to high impedance stuff…IMO thats an important comsideration especially if you only have 300 + ohm cans now and buy some 32 or in that area impedance cans…then the Crack etc becomes not as a good a choice IMO.

The Mainline kit is $1299 or so…it goes on sale everyonce in awhile, I got the kit for $999 and its fun to build.

I have pretty much the same cans u have, Clears instead of Elegia’s and have gone thru several sets of Beyers.

All the best in your hunt!
Alex

Note: Example I mention in my review of the Tuba, the sockets are solid ceramic, soldered into a thick PCB. On the BH products the sockets are not as well “strong or solid”…when you insert or wiggle out a tube the pins and the componets soldered to the pins move and flex, and their are some LEDS that are wired in these sockets and they have from this movement mechanically broken or cracked causing loss channel issis, loud pops, while you will never see this with Tom’s Tuba. That said if you install these LEDS with some “sag” in the leads to these pins this issue becomes less problematic.

4 Likes

@Torq thank you Ian

the price hike was even noticable with the “Echo” (399>499€) - still an option at the moment
it´s available on the Feliks.pl homepage and even has a german distribution at a well known store
I would not have to pay shipping nor any additional taxes
the design speaks to me and from some reviews it seems to be a quite good unit

the RNHP was recommended as beeing a more “musical” engaging amp (whatever that means over the THX)
at the moment I tend to keep the 789 and leave out sidegrades, until I saved up for the real (SPL) upgrade
the recent comparison between the RME ADI and the Schiit got me thinking :wink: - I must confess

I am mostly aware of the restrictions for an OTL or other tube amps
at the moment, the single one headphone beeing the DT1990 Pro, which could work - not sure if I even keep it, if the sound is not satisfying finally
maybe the 58x I tend to keep for my wife would work also for an OTL
the HD600 replacing my 660s is the light on the horizon
the Ananda and the Elegia are perfectly fine out of my solid states
the Aeolus is not bad at all out of solid state chains, from what I read - so I am not in a hurry, if I keep calm

the Woo WA6 - I will have a look - I love all Woo products, from the past, when I got my hands on and from what I read at our forum - thank you

@lost33

hey Alex!
I read your super review about it and know someone who got his Hagerman Tuba with walnut sidepanels yesterday. He is blown away. He uses an Aeolus(by chance) and other cans, we agree with a similar taste on. I can´t visit him as easy. So I have to believe, like I do with your obviously highly experianced comparison.
The Tuba would come at around 900 incl. taxes for me.

thank you for the note on the problematics with the BC
I would use white wool gloves and the least amount of force handling anything
a good quality is appreciated - in my budget … there will be some compromises I have to deal with

thank you both for the input and thoughts - this is super nice of you!
this whole topic has to settle for a while and I hope to get even more feedback. maybe by @DecentLevi ? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Martin,

Your most welcome!!!

I got it down to the WooAudio WA6SE and the Mainline and almost bought the Woo!

Then BH had a sale!! dropped the price down to $999 and with my DIY and liking to solder and build AND with my great experience with the Crack…well it was all over…

Still think Woo makes some really very nice stuff!!

Alex

3 Likes

my best buddy loves this kind of projects - so the BC Crack is not completely out of thoughts

we visit him and his liitle family next weekend - good if I can take down the pressure with some plan B´s

2 Likes

Hi Martin, heard you have some interest in Feliks Audio amps. To be honest I would steer you in another direction. The original F.A. amps were a great price/performance ratio up until they’ve finally been priced to recoup their production costs. The Elise and original Euforia are not good bang/buck for what they do. I would possibly recommend their newest iteration of Euforia called Anniversary Edition, really special internal upgrades making it perform leaps & bounds above all their previous models, at over $3K.

Otherwise here is my suggestion: Quad PA One +. (go only for the “+” edition.) This beast of a tube amp holds its’ own to the Euforia even with an edge in dynamics and power, has a (bypass-able) internal DAC, has similar form-factor (shape), and is less than 1/2 the cost!! It may be mfg. in China but it’s designed from a very long established British company and the price/performance ratio is an absolute miracle. Go for it and you won’t be dissatisfied. Also it has even enough power to easily drive the HEDDphone One with room to spare, has high-low gain switch, and like the F.A. amps you can do some tube-rolling to customize the sound. Go ahead and look for reviews on this beast of an amp too.

5 Likes

PS - the Quad PA One + amp is transformer-coupled, opposite of an OTL amp which to me is the better way to go for improved power level and headphone driver control.

2 Likes

Hi Levi,

Thank you for the suggestions and your time!
Both seem to be great.

The german article was one of the last I read today:)
The same reviewer wrote a waving piece about the Feliks Audio “Echo”(499€), I mentioned above in the prior starting post(9hours ago). The next step up by Feliks Audio is the “Espressivo Mark II” for 799€. Here I would have to stretch my fonds.

The anniversary edition is way over my budget, the Quad PA One + doubles it - at the moment.

Both would fall into what I thought would be the second step after an entry purchase.

The Blackwood Aelos and/or the HEDDphone are 1699€ over here in germany.
So maybe I get the Aeolus(tend to)first and later on, start again saving up for a grown up Tube Amp like the Quad PA One +

This is still me in orientation, research and later compare periods.

Your input helps a lot!

3 Likes

Being built in China and spending that kind of money I would want to see the internals…not doubting this is an awesome amp/dac combination, but I have seen lots of stuff made over there that is less than desireable to me.

Hagermans amp I took apart and its hand built by Jim and is very well put together and you can roll NOS tubes EL84’s etc until your pocket book starts deflating…

Not knocking the Quad, I dont really know much about it, but again lets see some internal pix.

Alex

2 Likes

You lovely guys keep it cool, for sure.
Hope I don’t start something out of my noob questions.

An info and opinion exchange will certainly benefit us all.
I grab all input I can get, though not qualified in deeper technical parts/designs or different build philosophies, like both of you and many other interested members are.

3 Likes

Martin,

We all are cool !! This is one website that I have found and like, we all have differring opinons. Your questions and concerns are good ones and it make us all think. Not everyone has all the answers but collectively you will get a good overall view to help you make your decisions.

Please come back when you do finally make your selections and share your experiences…

This is a fun site!

Alex

:grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

7 Likes

Spot on, well said. :+1:t4:

7 Likes

Amps and Sound makes quality tubed headphone amps. I own a Kenzie Encore.

5 Likes

Amps and Sound also make the ZMF Pendant I believe!

4 Likes

On your current budget I would definitely recommend the Feliks Audio Espressivo Mark II. Especially since it’s a newer update. I haven’t heard it but have read nothing but good about it and IIRC, some compared it favorably to the Elise. This fine quality amp from a botique Polish amp maker should be a fantastic introduction to your tube amp journey.

2 Likes

I also had a similar question about the Quad PA One + amp. The Quad representative at CanJam assured me their amp production in China goes through extensive quality standards and testing, using only high quality parts (that may very well originate from the west). After hearing it I was certainly a beleiver… and “spending (what?) kind of money”??? It’s only $1200 but competes favorably (in most regards) against the Euforia for around $3000 + has a highly resolving (bypass-able) internal DAC, gain switch and unbeatable sound for the price.

2 Likes