Schiit Magnius Balanced Headphone Amp and Preamplifier

This is the place to discuss the Schiit Magnius Balanced Headphone Amplifier.

https://www.schiit.com/products/magnius

9 Likes

This was just released today and looks to be a promising amp for $200.

4 Likes

https://www.schiit.com/products/magnius

5 Likes

Can confirm Alks Blue Velvet potentiometer is a dream. There’s one on my Feliks Echo.

“Schiit didn’t start the measurement war, never wanted it, but now that it’s started, they will win it. It’s actually opened up new markets for them. Game on.” - Purr1n

7 Likes

Oh wow. I guess this was the intended Modius stack pairing. That’s some power out of the balanced output. I’m curious how the sound compares to the Asgard at similar price point.

5 Likes

I assume it would cater to 2 audiences. I think the Asgard 3 will be more their warm amp while the Magnius is supposed to be an upgrade over the Magni Heresy so probably more neutral/THX sounding. Seems this is their response to people who say they can’t make a well measuring good sounding amp.

2 Likes

Good call. Magnius is also 2 lbs vs Asgard 5 lbs, which implies Class D architecture and sound vs Class A, consistent with what you described.

3 Likes

I’m happy my question was covered in the FAQ:

Aren’t you concerned about Jotunheim? This thing is half the price!

Nope. In this strange world where we live, we think there’s room for both an IC-based amp using a wall-wart, and an all-discrete, modular configurable amp using a unique topology and an internal transformer. Maybe we’re right. Maybe we’re wrong. We’ll see how it goes!

7 Likes

Can we now expect new releases to come with a 2 year warranty? See Modius and Magnius. That’s one way to keep prices down in this competitive and challenging economic environment.

No it doesn’t.

The difference in weight is down to a) the fact that Asgard has its power-transformer inside the chassis and Magnius uses an external wall-wart ad b) that Asgard’s chassis is physically larger.

Magnius is not a class-D design at all.

Schiit’s entry level products, and their micro-chassis pieces, have always been a 2-year warranty. The 5 year warranty is on the larger units.

12 Likes

Oh I see. Thanks for investigating (or being inherently aware) more quickly and thoroughly than I did. That makes sense about the weight.

Appreciate the clarification on the warranty - I haven’t tracked all the models.

I’m likely to visit The Schiitr this weekend, even more motivated with this product dropping.

3 Likes

Seems like this could be quite unsettling for the Topping A90, promising clean sound, good power, preamp functionality and balanced architecture for $300 less. Not to mention the advantages for Americans of buying from a US company with better warranties, shipping times and support.

7 Likes

Agreed. And L30 recently released.

2 Likes

Thanks @TylersEclectic. :+1:t4:

3 Likes

Schiit is actually kicking it !! I’m very happy for them ( and us ) , I love their products.

5 Likes

I like Schiit’s strategy here of “If you can’t join 'em, beat them.”

4 Likes

Agreed, crushin it.

20 char

1 Like

I wonder if I order a Modius and Magnius, if they would make it here before the Modi and Magni I purchased in February :laughing:

8 Likes

I was going to mention the weight (torq beat me to that!) was most likely due to the internal xfmr of the Asgard 3…and using an internal wal-wort with the Magnius…no Class D!

I ordered the pair today, will have early next week and will compare to my Schiit Bifrost 2 and JOT amd Lyr3.

Alex

6 Likes

Very cool! It’s good to see Schiit continuing to release competitive products, and one’s that measure well (for the measurebators). It’ll look great stacked with the Modius.

4 Likes