DAPs, do you use them?

Are there any good DAPs out there that have a decent dock setup to have it on the desktop? Aim to maybe replace the desktop setup with a higher end DAP, IEMs and easy to drive cans only.

And regardless of the dock situation, what DAP/s have best ability to replace a desktop setup. N6ii, M15, DX300, Kann Alpha/Cube all seem solid choices. Needs to run Spotify etc very well too, and black background when charging.

1 Like

Can’t speak for the others but the DX300 streams Amazon HD like a boss and quiet as a church mouse while charging :+1:

2 Likes

I appreciate the analogies.

Has modules too? Or seems to, so future update options?

Yeah it has exchangeable amp cards like the DX220 so there should be amp and port options to follow :+1:

3 Likes

For IEMs and IEMs only, I will chime in with the sony zx507. It is one of the few daps That I liked. But there are a few caveats:

1. As stated, IEM only. And probably not hard to drive ones.
  2. Streaming may cut your battery life dramatically.
  3. Not the smoothest experience.

Ultimately, my usage got as little as 4.5 hours on a charge. And never more than 9 (even with wifi and everything turned off while relying on my streaming service downloaded tracks). On a device that claimed 18-20 hours. I assume this means with their built-in player, which I could not use. I followed sony’s battery saving instructions exactly.

Outside of that, it is, without a doubt, the best dap I have put my hands on thus far. And I had the dx300 right before it.

Obviously not tubes, but good streaming daps are basically a unicorn.

I have not yet tried the hiby r6 2020. I will probably some day. But it’s the only dap left that I have any hopes of working well.

2 Likes

I actually have a 507! Sound good but screen too small for what I’m after.

1 Like

What do you need a bigger screen for? (This may radically change my recommendation)

Usability. Navigating Spotify on the little thing annoys me a bit. I’m very special …

Looking for more power, more screen, super snappy UI, maybe a tube module one-day.

1 Like

Dx300 is your dap if you want the biggest and best with good sound.

And I say this as someone who hates some of the flaws. As long as you can deal with the size (which it seems you want) do it.

I have a review on here somewhere about why it makes me bat crap crazy. But, others have not had those issues. I am probably an extreme power user and expect everything to work to a higher level than most people.

1 Like

One more important thing.

Must be able to use it in a “DAC / HP Out” mode. So USB cable from PC, using the DAP as the DAC/Amp.

Just realised the above requirement. Achievable?

Other options are like a Fiio M15, Hiby, A&K something and what? Shanling?

Edit: Ok. Best DAP is a rabbithole. M8, N6ii, SP200, M15, DX300. Ah.

Someone just tell me which one.

2 Likes

Most of those are not good with 3rd party streaming apps. Fiio is basically completely out if it doesn’t claim support out of box.

I believe the dx300 can do this. But it wasn’t a need for me.

Stop looking. Buy the dx300. Go. Go now. Stop second guessing. Get something and enjoy it. Go. Do it. Go go.

2 Likes

Rush into it. Seems like a good idea!

Just have to sell some stuff first.

Anyone want a MDR-Z1R, Empyrean, U12T, Mest Mk2 or CMA Twelve ?

I’ll have to look up how it works as a desktop DAC/amp. If it’s fiddly, no point. Needs to be easily done.

Its an icon in the drop down control panel. Then plug it in.

And pm me about mest mkii

I think the challenging thing will be if it can charge while being a dac. I don’t have an answer for that.

1 Like

This is not an endorsement as I believe there are much better daps out there but just to clarify. Fiio works with streaming apps. I use my M11 (I know the M15 is what you guys are referring to) with Spotify, Qobuz, Tidal, YouTube and Roon (works as a remote with app) with no issues. Also has Google Play with one of the past updates. Which apparently was an issue with a lot of people before…Just sayin :grin:

3 Likes

Yes, google play is present, but some apps don’t work on at least some models. (Apple music is one that doesn’t or at least wouldn’t work. And I couldn’t get confirmation from current users that it has been fixed). Amazon hd was another I think. Those are the two I use, so it cut fiio off for me. But I would be wary of the brand without fist hand confirmation that your app works on it.

If it has been updated/fixed I would consider them in a heartbeat from a price/performance perspective.

1 Like

Thanks @taronlissimore

I ended up buying a DX300. On its way to me. Going to compare it to my desktop kit, the Questyle CMA Twelve.

Depending what I have around at the time will be my test subject. Probably a Empyrean still. Maybe Odin.

The CMA Twelve is an excellent little unit, lovely Amp. DAC stage probably not quite as good as the Amp, in comparison, but no slouch.

5 Likes