DNA Starlett - An Attempted Review

Yeah, I think it is definitely helping with soundstage which is not something Utopias are known for … I don’t have much to compare the Stratus to, in terms of tube or house sound … other than solid state Class D amps. (The PS Audio is a Class A headphone amp, however, so I can compare it to that but it also is half the price).

I feel like there is some warmth and sweetness, but more subtle than my memory of tube amps in the past. I do know that the match with the Utopias is very sympathetic. More to come of course … still getting things sorted out with the set up, cabling, etc. And it is of course breaking in … That I am spending hours listening is a good sign also!

2 Likes

I got good lateral expansion with the Utopias and bit of 3 dimensionality as well with certain tracks with the Starlett, more than enough to make staging with the Utopia a minimal issue for me. I imagine the Stratus would be as good if not better.

I think so. Certainly wider than I’ve experienced up to now.

1 Like

Congrats! Good things come to those who wait!
Look forward to hearing more on your impressions with this wonderful box of blue joy.

4 Likes

Agree about the comments regarding the Starlett being an amazing headphone amp. It does synergize well with planars as well as dynamic headphones. Never heard my
HD 600 and HD 6XX sound better. It is impressive that Donald has achieved
this level of sound quality with such inexpensive tubes…

2 Likes

I agree and quite impressive for sure.

Are you able to speak more to the performance with planars? I believe most impressions have been for dynamic driver headphones, so this would be helpful.

I have been using the Starlett with the Hifiman HE 4XX and Fostex T50RP MK3 headphones. IMHO, these headphones define the law of diminishing returns in this hobby, given how good they can sound when paired with the right dac and headphone amp.

The sound of the Starlett with both the HE4XX and T50RP MK3 is transparent, with tremendous midrange detail. A nice sense of space between the instruments, presenting more than ample depth and width.

Bass is very good as is its treble. However, the midrange is where the Starlett truly shines. I enjoy acoustic music, cello, piano, guitar, violin, and the Starlett really excels here.

It maintains its composure at all times. I find myself listening to music on this amp
into the early morning hours, being drawn in by its emotiveness. I am not listening for
sounds with this amp, just enjoying the music.

In the Starlett, Donald has built a wonderful headphone amplifier that can for most, easily be their end game. And at a very reasonable price. For the TOTL performance it offers, the Starlett is a genuine bargain at $2000.

5 Likes

Agreed I think the Starlett is a crazy good value tube amp. It gives you all the TOTL qualities but for an “affordable” price.

4 Likes

Helpful, thanks. My experience during my several weeks demo with the Starlett last year tracks yours. The Starlett is a marvel especially for what it delivers at the price and with its tube selection.

2 Likes

Thank you for weighing in, it was my first high end amp let alone a high end tube amp. Anyone who buys one should not be disappointed, and if they are there are plenty who would be happy to buy it quick.

What DAC do you pair your Starlett with?

2 Likes

I agree. The Starlett is a very special product that faithfully honors musical
reproduction. :blush:

1 Like

Donald is a skilled builder, and also has a great ear.

1 Like

Thus far just a Schiit Modius. I am going to be trying the Starlett with an Entech Number Cruncher 205.2, and an Audio By Van Alstine Insight multibit dac over the next few days. Both used via Schiit EITR. I am not sure when Donald will need the Starlett back, so I want to test it with as many different components as possible while I can.

I have already decided that I want one, so now saving up and the wait for a build begins. :blush:

2 Likes

I agree. There is an artistry to the way in which Donald voices his amplifiers, by carefully listening to them as prototypes and then fine tuning them. I really appreciate the fact that the Starlett sounds so exceptional using inexpensive tubes that are readily available. I am listening to the Starlett as I type this. Bach has never sounded better!

1 Like

Enjoy. I spent time with the Starlett prototype this past August.

By chance, do you know if a Stratus prototype is available for demo? At the time, one didn’t exist.

1 Like

Would love to hear more when you swap out components, have not heard of those other DACs so the more the merrier. A few of us were lucky to have the prototype a bit, some (@bpcarb :innocent:) more than a few weeks :smiley:

1 Like

No idea about the Stratus. You might want to give Donald a call to find out.

1 Like

Ha. Among the best nearly 2 month periods of 2020, or any year for that matter.

1 Like

I am planning to use the Entech tomorrow and the AVA later in the week.
I will update how the Starlett sounds with them. Especially interested in how
it sounds with the AVA multbit dac. If Donald needs the Starlett back I will
have to do some abbreviated testing. If I can keep it for awhile longer than
I can take more time. We’ll see what happens. :blush:

:rofl:

Here is to 2021 and the Special Mogawi coming your way :tumbler_glass:

2 Likes