DNA Starlett - An Attempted Review

Once I heard the RCA 5U4G + GE 6CG7, I found my sound and stopped looking at tubes.

For HD800, I’m running RCA 5U4G, 2x Westinghouse 6DG6, and GE 6CG7
For JAR650, I’m running RCA 5U4G, 2x Dumont 6DG6, and GE 6CG7

I prefer the Westinghouse with the HD800 because it does a slightly better job shaving the treble peak of hd800 without killing too much microdetail. I tried rolling RCA clear top 6CG7, but made it way too warm for my taste and went back to the GE 6CG7 haha

I prefer the Dumont with the JAR650 because it’s awesome in macrodynamics and slam while helping with the clarity that 650s kind of lack.

RCA 5U4G really helps with the slight politeness/roundedness of Starlett

4 Likes

The Sylvania 6W6s I got as backups, which I idiotically was initially happy with, turned shrill and none of the preamps I had could tame it. I should have been wise to it when I noted the increased stage which seems to equate to an increase treble presence as well.

So Im back to stock right now, which is pretty damn good with the BF2.

Your general thoughts on the RCA clear tops mirror mine. Those are good with the right chain though. It was my preamp when I used the black label as a DAC.

Got some other Sylvanias and GE power tubes coming and also one of those GE 6CG7s. I cant find anything that remotely looks like my current Sylvania power tubes so hopefully I find something that works for me. Makes me think my current Syls are rebrands. Those Westinghouse power tubes may be of interest if they are reasoned in the treble.

And stop telling me about the 5u4g dammit, at least until I get mine.

Everything may change when I get the VO so Im not ditching anything yet.

Oh, I got a 6N6P coming too. I should have mentioned this as a preamp option earlier but forgot until I randomly came across one on the web. Donald said this could replace the 6CG7, direct plug and play, no adapter. He commented that it may make the Starlett a little U shaped, probably wont like it but what the hell, it was an add on purchase with something else.

2 Likes

haha my b. I’ll keep quiet about the 5U4Gs for now.

Yeah definitely synergy dependent. RCA clear tops might works well with a different setup, I just don’t like it with mine. (it came with the amp when I purchased anyway). Apparently the previous owner liked it a lot with the Verite.

and nice! I had no idea we can use 6N6P. No interest in looking for tubes right now but maybe later. U-sound starlett sounds super fun actually haha

2 Likes

The Starlett I had to demo was the prototype, as it had no faceplate. If there were any changes, I would not know any better. I was happy to have a listen one way or another. You had mentioned you were waiting on someone else having the Starlett on demo and that would be me if it is the prototype you are receiving. So my apologies for holding on to it a bit longer as I am visiting LA for only a few weeks and heading back to DC soon.

I had been thinking about your questions about the affect to the sound when using the different switch settings. On the IEC vs. Low, with the Verite I had it mainly on IEC which yielded a more prominent bass signature vs, the Low which was bright from the more treble and upper miss. For my ears the latter could be fatiguing, which is why left it on the IEC position for the majority of my listening. With regards to the other switch 0dB/-6 dB, I left it on the 0 dB for the entirety of my listening. Even when using my AFC headphones, the compensation in volume did not make any sense to have it set at -6 dB.

I did not get a chance to try the XLR connection as none of my headphones are wired for it. Maybe I will invest in XLR while I wait for the Stratus, current ETA is Feb 2021, so plenty of time.

On switching back to my main set up, I am already longing for the DNA sound. If you are to take each had and place them parallel to your ears at say 1/2 a foot, that is my current sound field. With the Starlet, it was a good 1 foot of spaciousness around my head. I did some A/B switching and that stuck out for me, along with the detail retrieval and fullness of the sound. I am not very good at describing the technical aspects of the sound, hell I have no idea what the majority of terms people use actually mean like the term resolving. Have seen that word in nearly every review I have read or watched, and they always say the headphone is resolving, if they are all resolving then why make the comment? Sorry, annoying tangent of mine.

Also on the Verite, I preferred the Verite pad over the Universe pad with the Starlett. This may have been a combination of my DAC (Chord Mojo) and the Starlett more than anything else. The Universe pad was more bass heavy, almost a bit too much bass, where the Verite pad had a good balance of tone. Both pads are the Lambskin, I am going to order the hybrid or the suede versions more for comfort than sound preference.

I don’t mean to make this more about the Verite than the Starlett, but knowing some of you have or are receiving the Verite I thought this may be of interest.

Hope you get the demo soon, and look forward to hearing your impressions and what you ultimately decide upon.

3 Likes

Your findings re the IEC are spot on.

Regarding the gain, I say pick whatever you want, the volume pot is so bloody smooth and accurate that it doesn’t t matter. Very easy to dial in.

The XLR and SE output for the Stratus are of equal power so I dont think you need to really go and spend $$ on XLR, unless you want to. Ive got one coming for my VO just to experiment as there are some reports that cans like the 800 are better balanced. Wouldnt be surprised if it sounds the same and am actually hoping it does as I dont really want to have to recable everything to XLR as SE is much more convenient for me.

I am on the fence re suede pads, all the comments on their effects on sound dont really thrill me. I might buy one at some point to replace my favourite pad on the Autuer and eventually the VO but want to see what the sound if like with the Lambskin. I was disappointed when I found out the hybrid pad also attenuates some things as well, was hoping the inner lambskin lining would be enough to preserve the sound. Ive got the BE2 pad coming with it as I think that might match my tonal preferences the best.

I agree re audiophile terminology, resolving is kind of an empty statement unless you place it in context. The first time I heard the Starlett I wasnt thinking about how well it resolved, I was thinking HOLY S&%T… and then thought about how resolving it was :grin:.

4 Likes

That is too bad about the hybrids, was hoping for the same result you indicated around the lambskin. Definitely wait until you receive your Verite, with lambskin pads. I honestly did not care for the Verite pads at first on my main system so disregarded until I demoes the Starlett. Wanted to see if my initial feelings would change, and they did. It is crazy how these small ear pad tweaks can have such a profound impact.

Yes, the volume knob is such a treat. I don’t know what it is about the resistance it provides as you dial up or down. It is exquisite, I am sure there is a sonic reason for this kind of volume pot chosen by Donald and happily don’t know.

I just realized my Verite came with a second headphone cable, the stock ZMF cable that I left behind and it is terminated in XLR. So I can wait it out to test once my Stratus arrives.

4 Likes

Thanks Roark. It’s a small DNA world, and we are just living in it. No apologies, treat those ears. May I suggest scheduling a listen for the LTA MZ2 and MZ3 when you return back to DC.

The IEC and 0 dB settings aligning with the Verite makes sense to me.

Yikes, Feb 2021, where will that place me…

I hear you on certain audiophile terms/descriptions not being helpful in the slightest - annoying. It’s like saying pizza tastes tasty. A resolving scale of 1 to 5 or 1 to 10 would be more informative, or in relation to benchmarks such as the HD650/6XX/600 etc.

That’s interesting/informative about your Verite pad preference with the Starlett.

My skin prefers the feel of suede. I ordered Auteur hybrid and Eikon lambskin pads for the Eikon for versatility of feel and sound. I am hoping that any detriment of hybrid/suede can be compensated with other fairly simple adjustments to the chain, perhaps a certain tube set, if needed.

My demo hasn’t been calendared yet, but will be sure to revert back with my impressions/decision, including whether the XLR output makes a difference.

I made an offer on Torq’s Phonitor X that was listed recently, but someone just beat me to it. My ears were curious and I thought it would sustain me until delivery of the DNA in ~2021. We’ll see if I can restrain from ordering the Pendant or Tuba in the interim.

3 Likes

My Stratus arrived today, I can’t say there was an big difference between TRS and XLR out’s on initial listening, the XLR is 8 Ohm either SE or balanced.

2 Likes

Congrats on taking delivery. Noted on your initial observations. There’s something to be said for theory, prove, and disprove - that makes this all dynamic, frustrating, interesting at the same time. Enjoy.

2 Likes

I put a hard think on that one too.

Welcome to the DNA club!

XLR vs SE is kind of a weird audio not quite myth but if all else is equal it is a myth kind of thing. If that makes any sense. The only true benefit of an XLR cable is longer runs. Everything else is DAC/amp design dependent.

2 Likes

Torq’s cologne free household motivated me, I kid. I would have requested an autograph.

I agree and makes sense. I prefer the Asgard 3 SE over THX AAA 789 XLR, but I will say the THX AAA 789 XLR sounds better than SE. Granted, not blind, and I’d like to think I can be objective. My thought on the DNA XLR being distinct has more to do with its output impedance as opposed to balanced/XLR. I know nothing.

1 Like

That is true. Output impedance can change things but I imagine it would be headphone dependent as to how audible it would be. That is a good point.

I dont think there are any inherent SE v XLR implementation issues that would lead to various output impedance trends - but I really dont know.

1 Like

I think you’re right about headphone dependence. Output impedance, damping factor, sensitivity/efficiency matching are probably all part of the equation, among other things.

I’m not able to explain/predict SE vs XLR implementation issues/trends. I’ll have to go with what my ears tell me.

1 Like

I will try to get on contact with the folks at LTA, the Micro ZOTL 3 was of interest. I am not sure if they properly opened for visitors, will check on with them once I can. Would be a good comparison, they work great with planar according to their amp designer.

1 Like

Right on. I understand they are able to do weekend appointments. Comparing the MZ2 with the stock power supply versus with the $600 optional linear power supply might be interesting too, for science. True about planars.

1 Like

I saw you mention you were in the DC area. I am too. Would be happy once this thing passed over to do a mini meet and bring the Starlett and Stratus.

2 Likes

Oh sweet, you are too? That would be cool, totally up for that.

Oh that is good to know about the weekend appointments. I will see what I can do and report back.

1 Like

Yup in southern Maryland so right near DC. I know a couple people are around so I might try and organize a mini meet once this is all over.

1 Like

I created a placeholder to organize and such, not to clutter this thread. Hope you don’t mind.

1 Like