DNA Stellaris - Official Thread

Currently: Elrog 5u4g, Novosibirsk '58 6n1p, Takatsuki 2A3

3 Likes

Guys, guys, guys. I’m not seeing enough non-6N1P’s here, and I can’t help but suggest you may be missing out. I’ve found that I prefer pretty much every American equivalent, but here are my favorites:

• Sylvania 6BQ7A or 6BK7B
  • GE 6BK7B

There are still others, of course, and I prefer virtually all of them to the 6N1P. I find the American variants to have more clarity, better and more focused imaging, better bass control and punch, and perhaps most importantly, lack of some high-frequency artifacts of the 6N1P that you don’t know are there until they’re gone (and I’ve heard it in two, separate tubes, so it wasn’t just a bad tube).

The best part is that these are CHEAP! You can pick up the best ones for $30-40 a pop. PM me if you need sources.

To be clear, some people love the 6N1P, and if that’s you, cool! Just wanted to provide an alternative for those of you who haven’t tried.

Currently:

• Genelex U52
  • Sylvania Spring Top 2A3’s (probably getting the Taks soon, though)
  • Sylvania 6BQ7A
5 Likes

Ymmv of course, but of the normal input tubes that don’t require adapters, I’ve found that the Novosibirsk from the late 50s to very early 60s have a euphonic quality that I don’t get even with the 6BQ7A or 6BK7B tubes. Reflectors, etc., have that razor like sheen.
The high frequency artifacts you mentioned I solved with improved power rather recently. The next closest was a Mazda 6BQ7A (I managed to find four of them), followed by the (rare-ish) triple mica 6n1p’s from the 1960s.

That being said, the Sylvania 6BK7B is cheap and consistently good! The particular 6n1p that I use when I feel like using 6n1p’s is selected by ear out of about…50 or so.

Just letting you know I’m in the ups and downs period of burn-in with the Takatsukis (less than 15 hours total so far) and it’s tricky to match. I don’t love them yet. The Elrog, on the other hand, was a perfect match for me the minute the nuclear reactor lit up. That single tube has by far made the most difference in my enjoyment of the Stellaris.

Currently: Taka 2a3, Brimar w/ adapter, KR 5u4g

2 Likes

I’d be down to try one of these! Any hot tips on where to find one?

Or this one?

I left my Takatsukis run for 4 days before any careful listening :wink: With RCA JAN 5U4G, Sylvania 6BK7B. Overall chain: HQPlayer DSD256>NAA>Holo May KTE>Stellaris>ZMF Atrium LTD koa gives me depth, layering, and a very light touch of euphony which are perfect for small-ensemble jazz, like being in a small club the right distance from the stage (thinking Village Vanguard by the right wall a few tables out…).

1 Like

Does anyone have any experience/impressions of the EML 2A3s? I know the EML mesh 5U4G is a popular rectifier, I already picked one up months ago. But I haven’t found much discussion of their 2A3s and I’m wondering how they might stack up against the ever-popular Psvane ACME, vintage RCA black plates, or the Takat$uki$?

They are popular with the WA33 gang so you can likely find good impressions in the relevant threads

1 Like

Never tried the mesh plates as EML recommends against using them in headphone amps as they can lead to spurious noise and there are some intermittent online reports to back this up; however, some use them without issue. I dont believe the solid plate ones have a similar issue. My interpretation of this warning is that they will not accept a return for a noisy mesh plate being used in a headphone amp.

4 Likes

Ah, maybe that explains why I can’t find much chatter about them on headphone forums. Thanks for the tip

1 Like

I’ve had the mesh and solid plates. Just get the solid plates. I think they synergize better with the Stratus. There was more weight to the instruments for sure on the solids. Nice n heavy bass. The mesh plates had more of a delicate detail to the instruments but overall seemed a bit thin.

Also, the mesh plates that I got were perfectly silent. DNA amps are very very quiet compared to others that I’ve had using the same exact tube so maybe the Stratus/stellaris is not as problematic than other 2a3 amps

1 Like

I have a couple of sets of the EML 2A3 mesh-plates for my WA234 MKII*, as well as a set of Takatsuki 2A3 and two pairs of (what were) NOS RCA mono-plates.

No issue with noise with the EML mesh-plates, but the WA234 MKII is probably a little more resistant to that particular issue than most headphone amps - given that a) it’s both a headphone and speaker amplifier, b) you can choose cathode or plate drive (and I favor cathode drive unless I need the extra power - which is quieter than plate drive - though for me even plate drive has been silent), and c) you can alter the expected impedance.

In order, I’d rank them RCA mono-plates, Takatsuki and then the EML.

The Takatsuki are the purest/cleanest of the three, extremely linear, highly-resolving, fast and punchy. The RCA are more lucid/rich in the midrange, have a little less sparkle (but also more realistic shimmer with cymbals), a holographic presentation of stage, and a slightly rounder bass delivery. The EML are closer to the Takatsuki, but with a bit more (less controlled, rather than elevated in level) bass presence, but very sweet upper mids/treble, and a delicate top end.

All are excellent … at least in the WA234 MKII … in the DNA, I’ve only tried the RCA and the Takatsukis, and I felt the RCAs were the better match … but not by much.

You might talk to Donald about the EMLs in your amp … you may be able to null out any noise (if you get it in the first place).

*Most of my listening with that amp is done with 300Bs … just for reference.

4 Likes

I’ve talked with Donald about the mesh plates and he has a pair and likes them.

4 Likes

Hey Andris, got them from Ebay over the years with mostly misses, but some great ones. Every so often you come across bulk lot sales and it’s a painstaking process to listen to each one…Based on what you’ve said, though I think you would really like the Mazda 6BQ7A.

1 Like

I should have done something similar as it has been filled with ups and downs for me. Things are settling down a bit, but there was a grainy quality to the treble that I didn’t quite care for, and a somewhat nebulous imaging and headstage.

I still think that in terms of overall enjoyment I prefer my Linlai 2a3 for the euphonic touch and slightly recessed treble. The Takas are growing on me, though, but they are pretty sensitive to any changes. I’ve had to find a pretty laid back input tube in order to find it even on par with my previous setup.

Right now I would say for my personal enjoyment it’s been Linlai>RCA monos>Takatsuki>Acme 2a3…but I would say I have less than 48 hours total on the T-tubes so far.

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion! I might have to give Andy a call and see if he has any :slight_smile:

@ClearWater -Well, congratulations. You made me go and buy a bunch of 6N1P’s on eBay (along with @Earmuffs - we may split some). Will report back. I got these:

and these…

2 Likes

So many variables… I have two Stellaris in two different locations, a Special (1) and a “normal” (2). Logistically I’ve not been able to compare all possible tube permutations with both. The Takatsukis seem to have brought 2 closer to 1, but that’s from memory, not side-by-side. I’ve had issues with Linlai on 1, and to a lesser extent on 2: one of the pair is occasionally slightly noisy, although that did not happen on a different amp (EC Aficionado). I’m currently using ACME 2A3 on 1, finding them a bit rounded, muffled compared with my memory of 2.

Do I need more tubes? :face_with_spiral_eyes:

3 Likes

Ummm….yes?!? Isn’t the answer always Yes? And more amps. And more headphones. More Dacs…. :star_struck:

2 Likes

Perfect, this is super helpful! Thanks Torq :slight_smile:

Excellent, thanks 'muffs

1 Like