DNA Stellaris - Official Thread

This:

Aesthetics can be a show stopper for me, and the transformer covers don’t offend me. I otherwise very much like the DNA clean lines and polished aesthetic. In some ways, the transformers make me think “damn, how much horsepower does this baby have?”

1 Like

So, I did it and put in the order for the Stellaris. Getting the balanced option, hopefully will be done within a couple months. Donald quoted faster times than the 6 month predicted since he has one hes working on, but waiting for parts so it could still take up to 4 months to get everything in.

Excited to make the next jump

9 Likes

Awesome, you’re all in with the Audio Note transformers and balanced option.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was going to save on the cost of the input transformers, but with not planning to upgrade the Yggy, having BAL in with TOTL transformers is a cost that is justified I believe to get the best quality possible.

Would have to skimp out on high quality TOTL BAL inputs to just have it as a bottleneck from the Yggy.

2 Likes

I would agree and you are putting yourself in position to reach that sonic ceiling.

2 Likes

Really cool that you can pull the trigger on this! The logic re balanced input is sound IMO, no pun intended. If you think you are at end game then why not hook it up in the way you think best. Probably not easy to retrofit it in later.

Any comparison you can do with the Starlett would be awesome, even in a direct message if you dont want to post. Ive heard conflicting info as to the differences, some say it’s a marked one, others say not so much. Im more convinced that the differences are large enough to make it matter. Going up to the Stratus would not make sense in this case, the Stellaris is the logical jump if you take out financial considerations.

Im gonna watch the exchange rate, if it becomes more favourable I might be following you in line. Hopefully the parts issue gets sorted quickly; but, I think that is a perpetual problem for Donald when sourcing the Stellaris.

Excellent way to end the year!

3 Likes

All this talk of Stellaris love is making me think what’s an extra $3-4k…Must not be tempted!!
:thinking:

Congrats buddy, happy for this next stage.

@perogie next one up!

3 Likes

I have heard a range of people saying how much difference the step up from Starlett > Stellaris, but the takeaway from everyone is that is is a step up. Rather that step up is worth the price justification is another matter. But at this level, its not really as black and white as that I think.

I will have the Starlett all the way up to the final installment for the Stellaris. I wanted to sell and use teh money made from Starlett to pay the final payment for Stellaris. Feels kind of like evolving a pokemon haha.

Since I won’t have them both on hand at the same time, I will start to take extensive notes on the Starlett with each of my headphones and when the Stellaris comes in do the same and kind of compare them. Not the most ideal way, but other than just going with gut reaction seems the best way to try and tell you the difference.

Yeah it seems its always difficult for him to procure the parts. I believe the building of the amps is relatively quick since hes done so many and its not super duper complex inside. I imagine the time it takes to build is due to the time it takes to acquire all the parts.

6 Likes

Do you guys know if he acquires parts in bundle (when a threshold quantity order is reached)? Regarding the time frame, he’s mentioned that it’s just him making the amps now (maybe?) and alluded to fatigue vs precision assembly/production so his daily progress has constraints. He’s also said that the metal work process and finishing takes a lot more effort than people think, especially for his signature blue color, where it would take less time had his amps be gray or black. A&S Justin also mentioned the metal work on the Nautilus being quite intensive during last week’s live stream.

5 Likes

Well the AN transformers alone for the Stellaris are 2K or thereabouts. I cant imagine a boutique shop like DNA having a lot on hand, plus they come with different options re core material, which complicates things.

Having seen first hand the fit and finish of these things it does not surprise me that there is a modicum of time put into it. They really do look high end and slick.

It might be frustrating but I dont think anyone who appreciates the product wants Donald rushing things or working when he’s tired. My Starlett came earlier than initially quoted so there’s hope.

Ive had a complete garbage Christmas so this was a welcome amusement.

Yeah, as long as you realize that a higher investment is needed for maybe only small gains and not to expect mind blowing improvements then I think you’re cognitively grounded. It is relative, what I think is a huge difference may not be to others, depends on sensitivities and your ear, plus with tube amps you got toobs…

4 Likes

True. Having held the Starlett and spent a few weeks with her during my demo, I can appreciate the quality and build. I don’t take issue with the wait time for these boutique, not mass produced creations.

4 Likes

I’m also very interested in hearing the firsthand differences between the DNA amps. Does anybody own two different models in his lineup?

1 Like

Don can take as long as he needs, there was a time that folks waited 1-2 years or longer.

One could also approach the trio as building blocks for folks who don’t want to drop $4k+, or $12k+. Start with the Starlett and enjoy while you save in your piggy bank, order Stratus and sell Starlett. Repeat with first tier Stellaris.

2 Likes

Its remarkable that an amp that prices at over 6K is considered first tier!! I think you can get up to 20K with silver components and mystical transformers, maybe even more.

1 Like

Ha, I should have used a better term for the entry point of the Stellaris.

1 Like

Once I get the Stellaris, I was going to do a side by side with the Starlett/Stratus (@Roark)/Stellaris. Was thinking to do this before I sold the Starlett so that we could build a side by side by side comparison so people can get an idea of differences.

Won’t be for alittle bit though probably around summer or later

5 Likes

I’m down for that comparison, and between our set of headphones should cover a good variety of options.

3 Likes

My reading of things is that Starlett<Stratus<<Stellaris.

However, once I put a NOS 5AR4 in the Starlett it took an easily audible step up so Im curious as to how much of the Starlett - Stratus gulf can be bridged by top level tubes (5AR4 is more SS like than 5U4G, I guess it depends upon what you are looking for).

Thus I discounted upgrading to a Stratus as Im not convinced its enough better than the Starlett. Id rather make larger jumps. Heck, if I never get around to ultimately getting to a Stellaris I really cant complain. I did say I was on a new equipment embargo…

Its one of the reasons I said the Starlett is a gateway to the Stellaris - its probably enough of a jump for an audiophile to really actually care. Not sure if I would go Stellaris from Stratus - the advantage would be similar tubes.

I think that would be really cool if you can manage a DNA amp comparison. You guys do have the cans that should excel with them.

3 Likes

I talked to some people I really trust and they said that if Stratus is 10% better than Starlett, then the Stellaris is 50-60% better than Starlett. If that is true, thats not a small jump. Again, grain of salt this is all rather small upgrades and improvements.

I am sure that the Starlett can def scale with better tubes. I agree, if you have a Starlett doesn’t make sense to upgrade to Stratus IMO. But I am not saying Stratus isn’t a great amp. I just think Stratus makes more sense if you just went straight to Stratus instead of Starlett. If you went Starlett, I think Stellaris is the only move you could really make.

I agree, I would be perfectly happy with Starlett, and I think many people would be too. I really think Stellaris are only for those of us who are crazy and have too much money, and we shouldn’t have that much.

Yes we will try to get a comparison done. I think that would be a really great resource for people.

3 Likes

Do Stratus comparisons and references need to be refreshed for v1 vs recent v2?

1 Like