Every universal tip worth trying?

I bought a pair of JH13s from them, and gave up after three tries at refitting them. I finally figured out what went wrong. When they injected silicon into my ear canals under a certain amount of pressure; there are spots in my ear canals where the lining of the ear canal is soft, and on the other side is the auricular artery. As the silicon cures, it expands into the soft spot, creating what appears to be pulsatile tinnitus, where I can hear every heartbeat. So when they make a CIEM from the mold, it has the same deformation as my ear canal did under pressure, and the CIEMs are unwearable.

A recent technique uses laser mapping of the ear canal (no pressure), but I haven’t tried that yet. JH Audio did not accept a laser map of the ear canal when I made my purchase.

Technology Marches On!

3 Likes

I have also found that different sizes work better with different IEMs, depending on the insertion depth and the way the IEM sits.

I usually am between M or L depending on the style of tip and the style of IEM but sometimes I do have to go to S.

In the case of the DQ6 that I reviewed recently, I found that with the included stock tips, I had to use an M in one ear and an L in the other, something that has never happened to me before.

7 Likes

IEMS FALL OUT

I have had a perennial problem with IEMs and earbuds falling out. I have tried everything from custom IEMS (too painful), to various earhooks (nothing quite works), to silicone molding gel (they still fall out). I just don’t have much of a concha in my ear to retain them. I am sure that some of you must be suffering with the same issue.

This morning I got a 3D laser scan of my ear canals, as previous silicone injected molds did not work for me (silicone under pressure distorted my ear canal, and therefore distorted the mold). I will determine if these scans will produce sleeves that I can tolerate with my 64 Audio U18Ts.

In the meantime, I have discovered a unique alternate (lower fidelity) solution. It is a pair of earbuds with a circumaural ear hook, the Moshi Clarus.

Moshi Clarus Website

It really works for me. The earbuds stay in place nicely and are very comfortable. With the supplied tips it sounds a bit sterile, but I swapped in my JVC Spiral Dots, and it sounds decent.

4 Likes

I just had a brilliant idea, based on your issues with IEM. Multiply pierce ears, in at least 3 places approximately 60 degrees apart. Solder tiny box-link gold, silver, platinum, or unobtainium chains that can be fastened to the ear piercings.

I must make a napkin drawing and get to the patent office immediately!

1 Like

Now why didn’t I think of that? :woozy_face:

1 Like

I got back the custom sleeves made from the 3D laser scans of my ear canals using the OtoScan technology. They are made of silicone and are very comfortable. For the first time, I understand the advantages of CIEMs. They are great.

3 Likes

I saw this on reddit and thought it might be of interest here.

I’ve been modifying my stash of RHA dual-density silicones with blue and red TRN foams. The results have been excellent so far.

7 Likes

Allow me to revive this thread.

This eartip rolling thing may seem cheap at a single purchase level but if one sums it up it can take some :moneybag: out of one’s pocket down the road. :joy:

I have probably spent my HD6XX (:dollar: worth) as of today and my :pig2: bank is already sending me messages. :rofl:

As of the thread context in one word: AZLA. This poison has never failed me to date. :smiling_face:

Cheers. :beers:

1 Like

I just pulled the nozzle off an IEM trying to swap an AZLA Sedna Earfit tip off of it. Evidently the stem of the AZLA was so grippy it was stronger than whatever fastened the nozzle to the shell. $100 down the toilet. The ear-tips made the IEM sound better, though…

2 Likes

I found this a while back. A basic way to make custom ear tips.

I haven’t it tried too seriously myself - mostly because I’m lazy, but also the lack of easily available Sugru where I live.

I have found the Azla Sedna provide a excellent seal and the stcky component helps keep them in place. I have the Empire Ears Odin and to get full bass you must have a perfect seal. I have tried Final E, spinfit, foam tips, and many others.
Nothing worked like Azla Sedna. :blush:

2 Likes

Could just be a personal thing, but I often find that I get the best sound from shallow, wide-bore tips like the Campfire Audio silicones or JVC Spiral Dots. Bringing the bore close to my ear drum and keeping it unblocked tends to even out otherwise v-shaped IEMs and smooth out high frequencies.

4 Likes

I just take the carpet bomb approach and buy big assortment packs on eBay and Aliexpress. The Dunu S&S are good for a larger sound stage at the cost of mids being a little recessed. Sonicfoam are good, but I like silicone since if you get the right fit, they last a lot longer and easy to clean. I got a micrometer on Aliexpress for $1.99 and keep track of the nozzle sizes when a new IEM comes in. I think it’s more a personal fit than anything else like expensive materials. I like the coated smooth ones like Dunu though, with black rubber/spongey ones things sound flat/muffled.

2 Likes