Favorite "bad" headphones

I auditioned a pair of these when I was first looking to get into the hobby some five years ago. For the price, and compared to so many creaky, plasticky competitors, they seemed to be well made - nice and solid and sturdy and hefty, all the better for having leather and metal parts. Their sound wasn’t the most impressive; the other deal-breaker was that they’re on-ears.

I suspect that for someone who’s not seriously into the hobby, and likes well-designed tech/lifestyle stuff, these would have been very appealing.

1 Like

Perfect picture of the product. And I believe my ex colleagues bought them exactly for the reasons you pointed out: they look nice and if you’re not into this hobby and want to make a gift to someone who’s into this hobby they are what one’s ends up buying. They’re a nice marketing product. Sound isn’t fantastic nor the worst possible. Anyway a nice gift to receive. They stayed in their box on a shelf for more than three years and when I picked them up yesterday evening they were still in good conditions. Well built with good materials.

2 Likes

It’s a smart way of getting people into the company’s products. I’m not a 2-channel guy but Bowers & Wilkins do well, it seems, with widespread name recognition. I could see someone getting a pair of P5, liking them a great deal, and then splurging on a pair of B&W speakers.

2 Likes