Female Vocalist Discussion

oh, and the most underrated person active that I know of: Skylar Gudasz. She’s kind of regional to North Carolina which is a shame. Both albums, Oleander and Cinema, are amazing. Pitchfork gave Cinema a 7.4 and they were wrong - it’s better than that, and Oleander is better still.

and I forgot to mention H.C. McEntire or her former band Mount Moriah

4 Likes

Jenny Lewis/Rilo Kiley
Hope Sandoval
Lianne La Havas
Phoebe Bridgers
Annie Lennox
Victoria Legrand of Beach House

2 Likes

Alison Krauss
Alice Cooper (kidding)
Brandi Carlile
The Civil Wars (Joy Williams is the female, John Paul While the male, amazing)
Kasey Chambers
Kim Richey
Lori McKenna
Patty Griffin
Nancy Griffith
Sarah Jarosz
I’m With Her (OK this a 3-piece female band, all sing, play and write - great as solo artists, as well as in this band)
Wailin’ Jennys (OK, another all girl band, see above, same deal)
Sarah McLachlan

Most of these are in the Americana-ish genre, but are all awesome in their own right. If anyone is interested in checking any of these women out, I would generally suggest start off with their early stuff and work your way forward.

I think Adele has an incredible, soulful voice, although she is an obvious, well known choice. Most of these women above write what they sing, which I like even better - almost always prefer the songwriters version to a more popular, covered version of a song. It seems to have more soul and feeling to it. May not always be “technically” as good, but I don’t usually listen for “technically”.

5 Likes

Try Dana Winner (especially One Moment in Time) and Belinda Kinnaer ( especially If Tomorrow Never Comes). Both European.

2 Likes

I will give them a listen, thanks!

Let’s not forget some of the Jazz singers. Altogether a more difficult genre:

The classics of course
Ella Fitzgerald
Billie Holiday
Nina Simone
Sara Vaughan

and more modern
Nora Jones
Etta James (AND, Etta Jones!)
Rosemary Clooney
Amy Winehouse
Astrud Gilberto (one of my favorites)

Any of these are a treat.

9 Likes

No mention of Elvis Costellos wife?

2 Likes

After my time, I guess.

1 Like

Most definitely Diana Krall is awesome! Also Emilie-Claire Barlow

More on the Pop side but I also really like Anna Of The North

3 Likes

If you like Brandi Carlile and Sarah Jarosz, stream a few bits of Carrie Newcomer from Bloomington, Indiana. She’s put out about 18 albums and I love every single one of them.

2 Likes

I’ve just become aware of Lori McKenna (she’s been around for a while), she’s a singer songwriter that has won a couple of Grammys for songs she’s written for country acts. Excellent songwriter and I really think her voice and songs are great. Another highly recommended roots/Americana/folk type of singer songwriter, if one likes that type of music.

2 Likes

As a beardless middle-aged man of some physical stature, I can say much the same.

I returned here realising I had overlooked this extraordinary singer-songwriter (YouTube channel).
While not usually top of her fan favourites list, her album “The Forgotten Arm” is required listening for all middle-aged man of some physical stature regardless of beard, physical stature, age or gender.
The Forgotten Arm.

Sweet dreams are made of this.

6 Likes

I’m a unapologetic fan of the 70’s so I’ll add:

• Joni Mitchell - Coyote’s one of my all time fave albums. Such great musicianship and production in addition to her wonderful voice.
  • Ricki Lee Jones - amazing voice that sounds at once childish, mischievous and sophisticated.
  • Carly Simon - yet another great singer-songwriter from NYC.

Someday I’ll figure out to add fancy embedded videos, album links and playlists.

Enjoy!

5 Likes

Adding Maggie Rogers here too!

2 Likes

I believe Carly Simon was born and raised in the Bronx, NY…north of Manhattan. :slight_smile:

And we all know that everything north of 110th might as well be Canada. :rofl:

2 Likes

Let’s not forget the Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin. She gets a body moving! See below.

3 Likes

Thanks for the correction. That’s what I get for not fact checking my post. Think I got her and Joni mixed up.

Here are some of my more modern favorites:

1. Men I Trust
  2. Corrine Bailey Rae
  3. Lianne La Havas
  4. Raveena
  5. Crumb
  6. Alex Isley
  7. Rachel Bobbitt
4 Likes

Indeed my friend! Glad to know i’m not the only one! Hopefully i’ll be able to see them live too after this virus stuff. Seems like quite the experience…

1 Like