Focal Bathys Wireless HiFi Headphones with Active Noise Cancellation - Official Discussion Thread

For those looking for an all-in-one USB-C to Lightning cable for use with the Focal Bathys, I just verified today that this cable from “Meenova” on Amazon works for me: https://amzn.to/3TSY8sp

That said, the Meenova OTG cable does not fold that compactly, so it might actually be more travel friendly to carry the DDHifi TC-28i and the original cables. OTOH, going without cables completely is even more travel friendly :smiley:

11/4 Update: I note that one person over on Head-Fi could not get their Meenova cable to work, whereas mine did work. Not sure if this is a QC problem or if they did something different from me. In my case, I’m on the latest firmware for the Bathys, but I’ve been holding off upgrading my iPhone 12 Pro to iOS 16 until it stabilizes (I’m still on iOS 15.7). Not sure if that’s the difference…

3 Likes

Love my Celestee + ifi go blu combo… I def have been watching the Bathys reviews come up as going full wireless has it’s perks for commuting and office work. Interesting take that the bathys weren’t as dynamic as the Celestee as the tuning was more copied over from the radiance which is more dynamic. I enjoy the celestee as they are very neutral and not distracting while working.

1 Like

Just saw over on Hifiguides that Etroze86 had the same DOA issue as me. Just starts loud ringing. I’d love to know what was actually wrong.

This is why I’m not a headphone reviewer. I’m going to argue against my prior post here. I returned to Audio46 to demo both sets once again, and I’m torn. I still feel like the PX8 is a more fun set of headphones to listen to, but I found the bass to be a bit much today. “Boomy” is the word that comes to mind. The Bathys sounded more natural and more detailed, closer to my main desktop setup. While listening to the PX8, I just couldn’t shake the feeling that I was listening to a pair of Bluetooth ANC headphones, however fun their tuning. They are an excellent example of the form, but while they were fun to listen to, they felt like a more refined version of other, less expensive ANC headphones. I started to say “they just felt like a more refined version,” but that’s too negative. They are great…for what they are, which is Bluetooth headphones. The Bathys felt more unique in the sense that they provide an opportunity not to get the most engaging or the most dynamic sound, but to get a sound signature that’s more neutral and natural. Idk if I’m explaining this well. But the Bathys felt special precisely because it was so neutral and detailed for a Bluetooth ANC headphone. It just sounded “correct,” if that makes sense. Just not exciting. I’m sure that when listening to electronic music or hip-hop, I might miss the energy of the PX8, but for anything with acoustic instruments I think I might prefer the Bathys, on further consideration.

I’m going on a work trip tomorrow, and I was hoping to buy one of these today. But I’m torn, and I think I’ll just go with my XM4’s until more listeners share impressions, especially about how the Bathys’ ANC fares on an airplane.

5 Likes

Very well put. It takes a lot of courage and confidence to publicly contradict or correct yourself. I too am curious how they will handle flight noise in comparison to the other ANC stalwarts.

5 Likes

HUGE respect, man. You are a person with an open mind who isn’t afraid to admit they either made a mistake or they’re hearing things they didn’t before.

Hope you find audio nirvana with whatever pair you choose.

6 Likes

This! It’s all about you and what you love for your music. Music first. Never forget that!

5 Likes

Another new Bathys user chiming in.

My hifi-dealer called and told me they have a couple in store now, including a pair for demoing.

Spent an hour with my own music and testing all the relevant (for me) genres: Rock/Pop (Icehouse, Tears For Fears, Silverchair, Saga, 30 Seconds to Mars), female Pop (Adele, Delta Goodrem, London Grammar), Jazz (Marcus Miller, GoGo Penguins), Electronic (Jean-Michel Jarre, Gus Gus), and some Detroit Techno.

Tested all the ANC modes (walked through the busy shop), loved the sound … and went for it :slight_smile:

I am no good at properly describing sound and how it performs - I can just say, I love it.

Still need to test the DAC mode and check if I notice a difference.

9 Likes

Interested in hearing these as well, currently rocking the Master & Dynamic MW65 which were the previous flagship. MW75 is out now I believe, no comments on that one as I have not heard it.

However I do give grand praise to MW65 and honestly wanted a legit review and measurements from a professional. To me it’s a fairly neutral headphone. The price tag is the only factor to me, and why I mention it.

I have a few comments on this pair, it sounds the best with level ANC which is what we are all seeking. Nothing really stands out, which is pleasant for me.

In addition, for a cheaper quality sound option in my opinion the Beyerdynamic Lagoon/traveler is a great headphone as well. But functions best with ANC off only, so if you are looking for NC this may not be the choice. Also the volume is limited, doesn’t get very loud.

I tried a few BT headphones, Black Friday 2020 for time reference, with audiophile reputations when searching and those are the only ones that got a pass from me.

I like Focal CB’s but by the current comments I feel a bit skeptical it will beat either of these headphones especially on price and with the boomy characteristics for some, which includes me. Still want to hear it and will maintain an open minded approach.

Seems like we have a similar taste in music.

Glad to hear it fits your bill!

Did you pick it up?

1 Like

Oh yes, took it home right away. :sunglasses:
And have been using it since. Tried the DAC mode, just to see which of my cables work - not for a proper comparison yet.

And it’s good to know that there are folks sharing the same taste of music :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am looking forward to checking these out!

2 Likes

These arrived overnight (Thanks, Crutchfield), and I think it’s a solution to my commute problem.

I was traveling with an Astell & Kern SE180 and my Focal Celestees. Sounded great but there was the pain of syncing to the player, slow downloads, the weight of the unit, the big case for the Celestees, and setting all that aside when I wanted to use my AirPods Max for non hi-rez uses like podcasts.

In DAC mode and wired to my iPhone and a camera kit adapter, there are small but for me non-essential differences to my A&K/Celestee combo. The Celestee is sometimes a little airier than the Bathys, which on the wrong recording can be a little boomy in the bass. But in the main, the detail is comparable, the sound quality exceptional.

The unit is lightweight - far lighter than the Celestees and the fit is very comfy. The unit itself seems to expand less wide than the Celestees so extra-large heads may not want to apply. I’m on the big-head side, though, and it’s great, thoughI didn’t have much more in its size to play with.

Add to that the ability to use these wirelessly for podcasts, the far easier iPhone use case, the removal of any external DAC need, and the smaller traveling kit, and this is a no brainer.

Definitely worth auditioning if you can.

8 Likes

Definitely worth auditioning if you can.

I’ve had the Bathys for a week now. Prior to purchasing them, I had concerns that the noise cancelling might be disappointing, especially compared to the XM4. After going back and forth about whether I preferred them to the B&W PX8, I finally caved and bought the Bathys the day before a work trip to Palm Springs. In that time, I’ve gotten to try them while walking the loud streets of midtown NYC, on the subway, in a taxi, on the bus, and on a plane. While far from class-leading, the ANC is more than adequate. The only setting in which I really noticed any external noise was while flying, but the amount of external noise I could hear didn’t detract from my enjoyment of my music at all. I still found myself deeply immersed in and engrossed by my music, just as engaged as I’d be if I were sitting at my desk (except for the occasional times I’d doze off because my flights were so early :smile:).

To be fair, part of my satisfaction with the level of noise cancelling on the Bathys is that I’ve just been conditioned to hearing some external noise while using open-backed headphones. And, to be clear, the amount of external noise you can hear while listening to the Bathys on an airplane isn’t remotely close to that of an open-backed headphone. I’m not suggesting that. All I’m saying is that I’ve gotten used to listening to music without the sense of a dome of silence that the XM4 is able to create, if that makes sense.

I’ve previously commented on the sound, but here are some additional thoughts. I’ve listened to the headphones maybe 50 hours at this point, and the signature punch and slam you expect from a pair of Focal headphones is definitely present. I was talking with @Andris about this, but there’s something special about the tactile feeling of the sound produced by Focal drivers, even at totally reasonable volumes. I have a list of 100 test tracks, and I try to listen to portions of as many of these as possible when I get to demo a pair of headphones. Some notable examples:

“Shed Your Head” by Blake Mills–A great track for evaluating how headphones handle reverb. I love this track on the Bathys. Lots of slam from the drums, but nothing boomy. The sub-bass is polite on the Bathys. Although everything sounds very clean and clear, I could do with a slight bit more sub-bass. But that lack of sub-bass emphasis didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the song. I’m not sure what instrument it is, but there’s some kind of shaker that plays throughout the song. On my desktop setup (Atrium and WA-5 LE/DAC varies), each instrument, including the shaker, is super detailed and well-defined. I had not heard this instrument on my Airpods Pro. On the PX8, I found that instrument buried in the mix and the details hard to pick out. While the Bathys isn’t as detailed as the Atrium, it’s maybe 70% of the way there, which isn’t bad at all for a bluetooth headphone. That kind of performance on the go is excellent in my opinion.

“Aquemini” by OutKast–The rare rap track that’s awesome for testing soundstage. With the caveat that I’ve not listened to this track on the Susvara or the HD800s or the Arya, but the way the soundstage on this track is rendered on the Atrium is deliriously entertaining. The Bathys can’t capture the magic of the Atrium on that score, but they cost a fraction of the cost of what you need to spend in order to listen to the Atrium. The separation and detail is quite good on the Bathys. The imaging is just less specific.

“In the Second Before” by Mary Halvorson–A raucous bit of avant garde jazz that I think can make even excellent headphones sound congested. (Skip to 3:20 to the end for an example of what I’m talking about.) Again, I think the Bathys’ separation is quite good. The punch and slam of the Focal drivers makes this a fun and engaging listen as well. In the swirl of crunchy guitars, screeching trumpet, and frantic pounding on the kick drum, there are a smattering of crashing cymbals. If the Bathys come up a bit short anywhere on this tracks, it’s in treble extension. The cymbals don’t sound bad, but they aren’t as well extended as they are on my desktop setup. But again, that’s not a fair comparison–almost $11k setup vs. $800 bluetooth headphones. If they were the same, then the Buy/Sale category would be flooded with all my other gear!

“Footprints” by Miles Davis–less raucous jazz, but every bit as lively. Now the Bathys’ reproduction of the cymbals in this track is much more on point. Very detailed, well-extended. The Halvorson track was admittedly an especially dense track, and the more open arrangement by Miles Davis’ second quintet really allows the Bathys to shine. I dig this.

“anthems” by Charli XCX–Yes, some audiophiles like Charli XCX and her brand of power pop–thank you, very much. But seriously, I like to test headphones with this track because there’s so much energy that on a very resolving headphone this track can be super fatiguing. I’ve listened to “anthems” several times on the Bathys, and I’ve found the track to be amply dynamic and never fatiguing, even after hours of listening to other tracks.

“Sidelines” by Niia & Jazmine Sullivan–I listen to a lot of female vocalists, and this song features two female vocalists I especially like. I’ve chosen this song–where the focus is on female vocals and strings–as a test track because it helps reveal a listener’s preferred sound signature in the midrange. The song sounds great on the Bathys, but I do miss a touch of warmth. The timbre of the strings and Niia and Jazmine’s voices sound natural to me. But I want the lush and natural mids of the Atrium. That said, I’ve never heard a portable headphone that presented this song with a sound profile that so closely approximated my preferences. I have my quibbles, but I’m beyond happy with this.

“Nyakinyua Rise” by Jlin–This sort of track might be an acquired taste, so I feel compelled to begin not with the headphones this time, but with a brief review of the music. The variety of percussive sounds Jlin produces epitomizes what I love most about electronic music. At every turn the music ushers the listener to the cusp of something grand. At times, it steers the listener to the edge of the jungle. Other times, it heaves the listener into the center of a Roman gladiatorial arena. Still other times, it lugs the listener into some random New Jersey Club. If these feats weren’t accomplished with such aplomb, they might give the listener a severe case of whiplash. Instead, the listener comes away feeling full of life. I feel full of life, especially when listening to this song on the Bathys. The separation is excellent. Again, the imaging isn’t the same as the Atrium, but I actually think it matters less for the way this track is mastered. The Bathys really excels here.

“Boogie Wonderland” by Earth, Wind & Fire–Oh yeah, the Bathys knocks this out of the park too. That tactile quality I mentioned above is readily discernible on this track. In a prior post, I described the PX8 as more “fun” sounding. That’s not quite right. What I meant was that the PX8 sounded meatier and more full. I still think that’s true, but Bathys captures the full energy of this track. The Bathys really excels here too.

“Serenade for Winds. K. 361. 3rd Movement” (Mozart) performed by Sir Neville Marriner and Academy of St. Martin in the Fields–I think the Bathys’ tuning is excellent for classical music. In terms of technicalities, I just have two quibbles. First, everything just sounds much bigger on the Atrium, especially wind instruments. Second, the separation is excellent, but it’s much better than the imaging. These really are quibbles, but taken together they both make for a comparatively less exciting listen. Key word here is “comparatively.” I still really enjoyed this track on the Bathys. And while I didn’t get to listen to it on the PX8, given the increased pressure in the ear cups due to the stronger ANC in that set, I suspect that I’d like this track less on the PX8.

“La cumbia me está llamando” by Nubya Garcia–Nubya Garcia is an excellent saxophonists, and I love this take on cumbia. Once again, the punchiness of the Bathys steals the show here. Timbre sounds natural as well. This is a track where once you hear the details, it’s hard to listen on Airpods or whatever because it’s a track that places so much emphasis on the texture of the human voice floating within this soundscape that’s peppered with a plethora of percussive instruments. I love this on the Atrium. I love it on the Bathys. Never has this song sounded so good away from my desk. Another “A” for the Bathys.

One more!

“Can’t Let Go” by Lucinda Williams–some have complained about that the Focal drivers sometimes have metallic sounding timbre. Maybe because the Bathys is less resolving than the Clear and the Utopia, I don’t sense that at all here. The timbre feels quite natural to me on this track. And again for such a busy song, the Bathys’ separation really shines. The imaging is quite good as well. The stage isn’t huge, but it’s also not as in your head as it is on the Celestee, for instance. In terms of frequency response, which I’ve mostly neglected to talk about above, I’ve not attempted to EQ these at all because I’m satisfied with the stock tuning so far. While the tuning is more V-shaped than, say, the Clear, I actually think the tuning is quite well-balanced. Again, as I said above, I actually think the sub bass is quite polite in places, but I didn’t find myself wanting more bass overall. I did, on some tracks, find myself wanting more emphasis in the midrange. All that said, just as it feels unfair to compare these to the Atrium, it also feels unfair to compare them to the Airpod Pro Max or XM4 or QC45 because the gap in quality is astounding. Listening to the XM4s (which I’ve EQ’d in the app to tame the bass quite a bit) is a challenging listen after the Bathys. To use a word I used in one of my earlier posts in this thread, the Bathys just sounds more “correct.”

The Bathys are also gorgeous and eye-catching. In a sea of bluetooth ANC headphones by huge manufacturers, the Bathys stands out. And occasionally someone would ask me which headphones I was wearing.

I’m not a professional headphone reviewer (that much is clear!), but if there’s one compliment I can pay to the Bathys that I hope might leave an impression on those looking to make a purchase, it’s this–before owning the Bathys, I would use my Airpods Pro or my Sony XM4s during my commute, and when I’d get settled in the office or at home, I’d promptly take them off and start listening to my ZMFs on my desktop setup. But now, every day when I get home, I have no immediate desire to switch headphones. I enjoy listening to everything on these headphones. In addition to being beautiful and sounding great, they are super comfortable and convenient. I started getting deeper into this hobby in February 2021. Had I purchased the Bathys as my first set of headphones to upgrade from my beloved Audeze EL-8 Open, I may very well not have purchased any of my ZMFs or any amps or DACs. Would I be missing out on top-tier sound? Yes, absolutely. (Everything is so subjective in this hobby, some may still say I’m missing out on top-tier sound!) Would I have saved a lot of money? Debatable, because surely I’d have found some other hobby to spend the money on. But for anyone looking to get into the world of hifi audio but disinclined to drop the kind of dough that many of us on this thread have spent on gear, the Focal Bathys would be my first recommendation.

17 Likes

Excellent write-up; thank you.

And IMHO this sums it up pretty well and I completely agree:

Amazing writeup, @wkesquire. Love the descriptions from specific songs so others can listen for exactly what you heard.

3 Likes

That’s a pretty high compliment indeed, and good to know. But I confess I’ll probably never buy them, as I don’t have a specific need for them…

Such fantastic detail. Thanks. I’m not interested in the Bathys right now, but I am interested in trying your test tracks on my various cans!

1 Like

Thanks, @Twinguin, @andris, and @pk500! I enjoyed them so much during my trip, I thought it was worthwhile sharing my impressions here. And @robson, yeah, always have to keep in mind use case.

4 Likes

How is the ANC noise/hiss on the Bathys? I have a pair of Bose QC45s and the background noise is a little high. The Sony XM4s are a bit better, but still not great.