Focal Clear Mg - Open-Back Dynamic Driver Headphones - Official Thread

Introducing the Focal Clear Mg, a brand new update on Focal’s original Clear. Coming in at $1490, the Clear Mg replaces the original Clear as the definitive Clear from Focal.

From Focal:
"The Clear Mg high-fidelity open-back headphones incorporate the new technology of a speaker driver with an ‘M’-shaped Magnesium dome. Magnesium is light and boasts a significant damping factor, offering great dynamics and detail across the full sound spectrum while preserving a neutral and balanced signature. "

Tech Specs

Type: Circum-aural open-back headphones
Impedance: 55 Ohms
Sensitivity : 104dB SPL / 1 mW @ 1kHz
THD : 0.25% @ 1kHz / 100dB SPL
Frequency response : 5Hz – 28kHz
Speaker driver : 15/8" (40mm) ‘M’-shaped magnesium dome
Weight : 0.99lbs (450g)

What’s In The Box?

Focal Clear MG Dynamic Over-Ear Open-Back Headphones
1 x 3.9ft (1.2m) mini-jack cable with 1/4" (6.35mm) jack adapter
1 x 9.8ft (3m) 4-pin XLR cable
1 jack adapter, 1 1/8" (3.5mm) female – 1/4" (6.35mm) male
Premium Carrying Case with matching Clear Mg Colours
Owners Manual
Limited 3-Year Warranty

22 Likes

Close up shot of the Clear Mg that @Resolve took today in the new studio.

26 Likes

I’ve had the Clear MG Pro for a couple of weeks now and I think it’s a solid update. A smoother, slightly warmer, and more resolving Clear. It’s still neutral-bright imo, but with less of a peaky nature.
The timbre also seems better to me, never exhibiting the metallic zing that the older Clear would often display.

Well done Focal.

13 Likes

Squiggles please! :slight_smile:

Nice pictures btw. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Beautiful!

Looking forward to some impressions! :headphones:

2 Likes

Wow best looking headphone ever!!!

6 Likes

Where can I sign up for the Bladnoch testing tour?

3 Likes

Wow - Focal makes some of the most aesthetically pleasing headphones IMO!

I look forward to getting more information on these, specifically if there’s a difference between them and the Clear MG Pro.

4 Likes

Megane from Focal goes through the changes pretty thoroughly in this video:

10 Likes

So I am preparing small noob audiophile review of these headphones. But I can share some photos now, maybe you like them :slight_smile:

Imgur

Imgur

Write me if you need more :slight_smile:

18 Likes

OMG look how sexy that headphone is, and a new cable?

Think I am going to sell my clear and buy this.

1 Like

Nice shot @Andrew!
Is that shot of the Clear, Clear Mg Pro and Clear Mg on the homepage yours also?

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Focal Clear Open-back Headphones - Official Thread

I’ve spent the last 24 hours trying to convince myself I don’t need these. My only Focals are the Elegia, and I’ve been wanting a Focal open back for a while now. Of course, I am also trying to convince myself I don’t need the Celestee too.

Imagine how good those two will look next to each other on the shelf??

5 Likes

Too much trypophobia for my liking :frowning: Google at your own risk!

3 Likes

Uhhhh,

:laughing:

4 Likes

With all the optical fascination, I hope that this time they:

1.) Noticeably improved comfort for people with larger heads and ears.

2.) The audio clipping with higher power supply or higher volume levels have gotten to grips with.

3.) The very energetic but “cold, dry and mechanical industrial sound” was made a little more natural and a little warmer to allow long-term suitability for these headphones.

All factors, which in my opinion completely missed the previous model.

Appearance and Bling-Bling is not everything :bangbang:

2 Likes

I really had to fight the inner urge to not order the Clear MG last night. I own the Elex, have directly AB’d with the OG Clear and have heard the Utopia; so I feel that I have a good grasp on the Focal house sound. Still, I want to see measurements and read/see the reviews of the few people I trust. Even then, I’ll still probably struggle deciding between these and the ZMF Auteur. Heh, these are good problems to have :slight_smile:

Bring on the measurements gents!!!

2 Likes

The ear pads are shallower, so they have have less room for larger ears. It’s my one criticism. My ears touch the grill and after a couple of hours can be fatiguing.

The problem of large ears.

3 Likes

News Flash! Your ears don’t get any smaller as you get older. Same goes for feet. Other parts may differ.

10 Likes