Focal Clear Open-back Headphones - Official Thread

Official Focal video about Clear MG Pro

6 Likes

Leaks online of the Clear MG (not the Professional). Chestnut and Mixed Metals finish.

11 Likes

Oh man those are gorgeous.

2 Likes

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

No leaks! Live!

https://www.focal.com/en/pro-audio/monitoring-speakers/professional-headphones/clear-mg-professional

3 Likes

3 Likes

F… I want those and right now I just talk about how it looks :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Hmmmm…that color makes me feel uneasy. Hopefully it’s nicer in-person! I do dig the looks of the pro more. The real question is if it’s just a color change from the clear mg pro…

2 Likes

What great looking headphones the Clears are. As an owner of the OG Clears this new colour makes it even more appealing on the eye.

4 Likes

I do already own the Clear Pro… but if they improved the frequency response even more, then I am very interested.

1 Like

Forget about the Drop 8xx in Nov. This Focal is here and now, and I guess it is a better HP

7 Likes

Yeah, I saw the ship date and closed the tab immediately. lol

6 Likes

Why? You order your dinner now (and you pay for it) and you will get it before Xmas! It’s a good deal :joy:

2 Likes

I’m more than happy with my Clear Pros and will hang on to those.

2 Likes

After having a day of listening to the new Focal Clear MG Professional here’s my initial impressions:

The gist is that they’re a warmer, smoother iteration of the original.

Comfort and build are on par with the original Clear, with an added strip of memory foam underneath the headband. They look really good, imo.

They have elevated and extended bass with a smoother tonality. Meaning I detect less peaks, especially in the treble region. They still have sufficient treble response, they’re just less peaky.

Their detail retrieval is better (from memory), and they seem ‘quicker’. They’re still punchy, but it’s not as noticeable because of the smoother FR, imo.

Timbre is very good and doesn’t display any metallic nature that I heard from time to time with the previous version.

The soundstage is larger, while still maintaining a more intimate presentation. They image very well, they seem very precise in that regard.

They leak less sound (probably due to the new dust filter), but are more open sounding.

Overall I’m very happy with them. They have a very even, articulate sound that’s transparent to the signal being fed. They extend well in both directions of the frequency range, and maintain a smooth, even nature.
Focal seems to have addressed any issues I had with the original Clear (that I parted with a few months ago), and I’m very happy with them.

Source chain: Mac Mini (2020-i7), Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2, Chord Mojo, Airist R2-R DAC, Schiit Saga+, Rupert Neve Designs RNHP, Shiit Vali 2, and an Inverting O2.

22 Likes

Thanks for reporting back!

Do you know if they’ve also addressed the issues with the drivers bottoming out as widely reported?

Hmm, the clipping thing?

Mine never clipped through regular listening. I just don’t listen too loud, but I haven’t encountered that with these. They get plenty loud off any source I’ve used.

1 Like

Great impressions, thank you @ValentineLuke. I have the same reservations as you about the original version, and it’s great to hear that the new Clear resolves them. It sounds ideal!

1 Like

Thank you.

They are quite warmer, but that’s where my preferences lay so it’s a win for me. Focal seems to really be stepping up their game with their recent releases.

I’m really curious about what they’ll do with the Utopia. If they go in the same direction as they did with the Clear, then I think that’d be a very good thing.

4 Likes

That was the story for the Elear and Elex, but I never personally heard of it or experienced it with the Clear. My Elex required hunting down specific tracks to make it happen.

3 Likes