Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1330 Hz Gain -6.0 dB Q 1.00
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2200 Hz Gain 1.4 dB Q 2.5
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3000 Hz Gain -2.6 dB Q 3.00
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 3700 Hz Gain -2.1 dB Q 5.00
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 4300 Hz Gain 2.0 dB Q 4.00
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 5950 Hz Gain -4.1 dB Q 10.00
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 6600 Hz Gain 2.0 dB Q 7.00
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 7500 Hz Gain 1.0 dB Q 3.00

Copy and paste that into Focal Clear.txt then SoundSource ā†’ Headphone EQ ā†’ Add Other Profileā€¦ and open Focal Clear.txt.

Interesting! Iā€™m not sure how to load this into Headphone EQ but I recreated all of these bands on FabFilter Pro-Q 3 and it sounds v different compared to the Innerfidelity preset. On Pro-Q you can set the ā€œgain scaleā€ - so 50% gain scale halves all of the dB amounts. It sounds much closer to the Innerfidelity preset when the gain scale is at 30%ā€¦

Click on the Headphone EQ drop-down select box like you would if you were changing the current EQ profile. At the top is an option Add Other Profileā€¦ Clicking that will open a File Open dialog where you can open the .txt file and it will create an EQ profile that is the same name as the .txt file.

But if you donā€™t like it in FabFilter then you probably shouldnā€™t bother. :sunglasses:

Hi all, wondered if anyone could throw some light on an aspect of the different characteristics of headphones thatā€™s been bugging meā€¦ I did a comparison test between the Audeze LCD-X and Focal Clear and recalled the vocals being far more forward on one set than the other. That surprised me as I thought the relative positioning would be governed by how a particular recording was mixed, rather than the characteristics of a specific headphone. In the end, I decided on the Clears, the LCD-X sounding relatively muffled to me. Appreciate that all headphones will have different dynamic responses in relation to the Harman curve. What I donā€™t get is how aside from soundstage (which I understand can be influences by the angle of the drivers), headphones can have different relative positioning of vocals/ instruments in a given recording. Would welcome any thoughts and views on this.

1 Like

hi Chap704!

we perceive things as closer to us when theyā€™re louder. different headphones emphasize different frequencies. if an instrumentā€™s fundamental frequency or some combination of its harmonics are emphasized by a particular headphoneā€™s frequency response, itā€™s probably going to sound louder / closer.

a lot of people on this forum apply EQ to their headphones - especially headphones by Audeze which allegedly really need the EQ to sound normal.

Iā€™m a huge fan of the Focal Clear with and without EQ.

welcome to the forum!

PS

Focal Clear vs Orphean Sound Darkvoice (stock tubes)

Iā€™ve been testing out the Clear with a Darkvoice tube amplifier. I usually prefer the cleaner, more precise presentation of the 789 but the Darkvoice is a nice touch on some records

the Darkvoice does a wild thing to the Clearā€™s soundstage. itā€™s like the imaging is a little drunk. maybe a lot drunk. instrument placement is less precise and more spread out.

tonally, the Darkvoice sounds like it elevates the Clearā€™s low end in a way that I donā€™t love. I much prefer the neutral tonality of the 789 on most material.

does anyone have any tube recommendations?

shout out to everyone else with disgusting old Focal Clear pads

7 Likes

Thanks. Eventually realised that the answer was probably as simple as that - mid frequencies for a particular headphone making vocals apparently closer. Thanks for confirmingā€¦ā€¦

Recently bought Naim Unity Atom (headphone addition) for use with the Clears, which Iā€™m delighted with. Seems to me ( as youā€™ve experienced with your amp) to add significantly more soundstage. Previously, Iā€™d been using a Dragonfly Cobalt DAC/amp. Iā€™ve no idea how it achieves that, but a definite improvement anyway.

Iā€™m a bit late, but Iā€™ve heard great things about the Feliks Audio Echo. The v2 is out now which is supposed to pair much better with the Clears compared to the v1.

1 Like

Really really dig the Focal Clear OG + Darkvoice combo despite the impedance mismatch. Dying to hear what the Clear sounds like with something like a ampsandsound Kenzie. Has anyone heard that combo? What impedance did the Kenzie have?

What other tube amps have you liked w the OG Clear?

10 Likes

audiofeline / audiopheline

5 Likes

The Focal Clear MG pairs wonderfully with the ampsandsound Kenzie Ovation. I have to think the pairing would be just as good with the OG.

1 Like

I got a SW51+ a few weeks ago and have been enjoying the Clear with it. Iā€™m still trying to get a handle on the sound of the pairing. In some ways I love it. The amp does something to reduce the aggressiveness of the Clear and makes for a mellower listening experience. There isnā€™t as much bass bloom as Iā€™d anticipated (this bloom was too pronounced with my ZDT Jr., for me). I need to start doing some A/B comparisons between the SW51+ and my tube hybrid amp, the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid, which is an excellent pairing for the Clear.

My audiofeline assumes the amp is for her - after all, itā€™s got a cat on the front!

Itā€™s good to hear that. The Forge also seems tempting, with its various output impedance options.

6 Likes

My Ovation has five ohm taps - Lo, 8, 32, 100, and Hi. Fun trying to match my different headphones with their optimal feed.

1 Like

Yes, itā€™s on my radar as a possible future upgrade for this very reason.

I realize itā€™s probably best to have a couple of amps - since my goal is to settle on having four or five different headphones - but it would be cool to have a single amp that could fuel them all!

1 Like

Whatā€™s your preferred tap for the Clear?

I love the 32-ohm tap. I sometimes play with 100 ohms, but it all seems a little overbloomed at that tap. I go back and forth between the two but ultimately go with 32.

Can you describe the difference in sound between the lo, 8 and 32? Is 32 a nice little low end boost?

Thatā€™s a good way to describe the difference. On the mids and highs, I donā€™t detect a huge difference (other than maybe in overall volume). But on the bass, thereā€™s more presence, more oomph in the low end as you scale up the taps to 32. At 100 it starts to muddy up just a tad (though it might be just what some listeners want).

32 feels like the sweet spot - the most muscular presentation without the sacrifice of any detail or overall balance.

4 Likes

New here and having a bit of confusion as to how to navigate. Found a post similar to the one I was going to make, clicked the link and it said that topic was merged into this thread, but I canā€™t find where in the thread to see replies without scrolling thru the whole thread. I know I am missing something here. Anyway, I have an issue with my Focal Clears and I guess this is where I should post, yet?

1 Like

Right place. What happens with your Clears?

1 Like

What happens is this: When I tilt my head forward the topheavy headband slides down toward my forehead, and when I recline and tilt my head back, the headband slides toward the back of my head. So unless I am sitting or standing with my head upright, the phones keep moving and it feels clunky and bothersome. These phones are not uncomfortable, they donā€™t clamp too tightly, the pads are soft, itā€™s just that they donā€™t lend themselves to doing anything other than sitting stock still while listening. For maximum appreciation of music, we shouldnā€™t be multitasking anyway, but we all do to some extent, requiring at the least some momentary change of posture.

What I would like is that the phones fit more snugly to my head, as my Oppo PM-3 closed over ear headphones do. Those are the phones I use for listening to my Astell&Kern DAP on the go, and although they clamped too tightly at first, having been broken in they are now comfortable to wear for long stretchesā€¦ and they donā€™t move when my head moves. I bought the Clears three years ago for home use, as I wanted a better sounding set with the kind of sound stage an open model can give, but I have hardly used them at all - mostly because of the loose and clunky fit, secondly because the ten-foot stock cable isnā€™t long enough to reach to my bed where I like to listen (reclining or laying flat). And I wonā€™t go into the third issue, which is that my cat likes to chew things like laces, strings and cables and I donā€™t like having to worry that sheā€™s doing that or chase her off when she does.

I really really wanted to love these Clears, based on all I read about them before buying them and my expectations, but it hasnā€™t worked out that way, and I donā€™t know what to do other than just get used to the clunky feel of them and live with it (having spent the equivalent of an entire monthā€™s income on them), or sell them and buy a different model by some other brand.

So there you have it. I suppose I will soon be making a post in the Purchase Advice section (preliminary discussion with a sales agent at a competing online retail store has led me to consider the Aeon 2 open headphones, a strong contender in my next gear investment) and putting these barely used Clears up on eBay.

Edit: FWIW I am a six-foot male adult with a proportionately large head, so itā€™s not that the Clears are too big for my head.

2 Likes