Focal Elegia - Closed Back Headphones - Official Thread

I would say so. Very enjoyable headphone. And they do have bass. If the track has it, the Elegia will represent it with slam fairly well.

1 Like

Thanks. I like my fostex but itā€™s not great with instruments, so if the closed back can handle instruments ā€œfairlyā€ well but can slam some rap/hip hop tracks then Iā€™m sold.

2 Likes

Which fostex? Curious.

1 Like

Iā€™d definitely say it handles instruments/bass very well, to @Rhodeyā€™s point. Itā€™s an extremely accurate headphone and really just presents the music.
The experience/potential is definitely kicked up many notches paired with a good DAC and amp.
I donā€™t feel closed in with it, and itā€™s comfortable during long listening sessions. To me the clamping force isnā€™t too much, just feels nice and secure.

4 Likes

Yes, it definitely has an open feel for a closed back. Decent soundstage too. Nice bubble around the head.
I actually did well with then when playing fps games as well.
Itā€™s definitely a good headphone.

2 Likes

Th-x00 is the fostex model I have but itā€™s a little narrow scope headphone since I wouldnā€™t use it for metal music at ALL

1 Like

I have the tr-x00 ebony and think theyā€™re pretty good. Very enjoyable imo.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s the best way to clean the headband on the Elegia? Leather cleaner?

1 Like

For the suede part? I think focal recommends a light detergent. I think they mention that on their site. Iā€™ve seen it somewhere before.

2 Likes

I am a sucker for beautiful headphones. Elegia looks so good.

13 Likes

These are on sale right now at Adorama for 429$. Thinking of buying one. But i was looking at the frequency chart and the treble section troubles me. is this headphone a touch dark? or warm? I like good treble in a headphone. clarity is important to me

1 Like

I would say Elegia is slightly dark sounding compared to the Elex or Utopia

3 Likes

Itā€™s not ā€œsparklyā€ or ā€œbrightā€, for sure. But it has a gorgeous, warm tone I find very appealing. So far, my favorite headphone - at $429, it would be sure buy for me if I didnā€™t already have it!

3 Likes

Hereā€™s the GRAS measurement of the Elegia, and just as Oratory was saying on the live stream we did, itā€™s nearly impossible to get a consistent bass response on the measurement from these. You change positioning slightly and it just goes wild. But with that said, mids and treble look pretty close to how I hear it. Iā€™ve seen some different measurements of it where it looks a bit more elevated in the treble as well but I think that could be for similar positional variance reasons.

So while it looks a bit weird and forward there in the mids, we do see some pinna gain, which is nice. Itā€™s really just the upper mids that are a bit recessed. But Iā€™m going to go out on a limb here and say that I prefer the Elegiaā€™s treble over that of the Clear. Itā€™s a bit more relaxed and as a result a bit more smooth.

Now Iā€™ve also change my EQ setup for this a bit, and itā€™s still currently a work in progress. But if anyone has an Elegia and is willing to try this, Iā€™d welcome the feedback.

Normally I wouldnā€™t want to go so granular for the EQ but since Iā€™m not really adjusting much in the treble, this may end up being appropriate.

8 Likes

Nice EQ profile. Improves your old EQ Profile to me in the high section. Your old profile made the Elegia sound a bit metallic with too much energy in the hights. I used the Song Keyth Donā€™t go from Niels Lofgren Acoustic Live Album. Your new EQ proifile tamed the harsch sounding guitar strings. It sounds quite enjoyable now. Dito with sibilants on Capercallies song Breisleach from the album Deliriun. I struggle a bit with the mid tone section. Your way to tune towards Harman sounds more open but I miss a bit "body " in many recordings like Niels voice in the recording mentioned above. I did an quick and dirty adaptation to your EQ wich is often a bit more to my liking.

Channel: all
Preamp: -6 dB
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 83 Hz Gain 3 dB
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 140 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 2
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1800 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 3
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2161 Hz Gain 3.5 dB Q 4
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 4170 Hz Gain 4.5 dB Q 3
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 4500 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 2
Filter 8: ON HSC 4 dB Fc 8000 Hz Gain 1.5 dB

5 Likes

Hey thanks for posting this. Yeah my initial profile was based on wider Q values, while this one is a bit more surgical. This is the nice thing about being able to use the GRAS haha.

1 Like

Do you still have access to the Stellia? Wonder how that would look compared to the Elegia with your new GRAS measurement set up.

2 Likes

Unfortunately no. I have to get another one in to measure it on the GRAS.

2 Likes

Can you share this updated EQ setting in the easy to follow format? Im not familiar with this graph.

Thank you BTW for your review of this headphone. Its what pushed me to purchase one for home/ office use.

2 Likes

Hello everyone! I bought an Elegia during the last $399 Adorama sale. They arrived yesterday and I was so excited to open them up and take a listen but when inspecting the right driver I knew there was trouble. The driver cone was pushed in and had no sound outputā€¦bummer.

I contacted Adorama and they immediately responded with a UPS return label. Once they receive the broken unit a new one will be sent my way. Oh well, I guess I have to wait another week or so.

2 Likes