Focal Utopia Open-Back Headphones - Official Thread

Also, the tool used by Crinacle looks to be released to the public thanks to Marshall Lochbaum - https://github.com/mlochbaum/CrinGraph

2 Likes

Damned near impossible I would say. Just too many variables. Bezt we can hope for is a guideline to use as a basis for self tweaking.

4 Likes

Focal Utopia Impressions

I recently visited Gramophone in Timonium Maryland to demo their headphones. I was able to demo for the Focal Utopia, LCD XC, and the Aeon Flow Closed. I will be dropping impressions into the other thread for those as well.

Audio Chain
Bluesound Node 2i -> McIntosh MHA150 -> Focal Utopia

Bass
I found the bass on the Utopia to be very detailed, textured and fast. There was a slight bass rolloff but it wasnā€™t super noticeable. The Utopia is not a hard hitting headphone in the bass region, but it was okay to listen to. It did feel a bit thin though.

Mid-range
I found the mid-range to be really lacking. Vocals sounded thin and tinny without much weight to them. Again it was very detailed and fast, but I did not feel the draw to the vocals that I am used to from my Auteur or the HD 6XX. Vocals also sounded a bit distant in the mix.

Treble
I am a bit sensitive to treble and I noticed the treble on these as soon as I played the first 10 seconds of my first song. The treble is sparkly, fast, detailed, and clean, but it was too much for me. I found it sibilant from the first ā€œsā€ that was spoken and hearing high hats made me wince. I imagine this is what many people enjoy about the Utopia, as it felt very detailed. But for me it was too much.

Timbre
I didnā€™t like the timbre on this. It didnā€™t feel real and full bodied rather thin and a bit metallic. I also like a warmer sound and this was very clean, bright, and analytical.

Soundstage/Imaging/Layering
I found the soundstage to be artificially wide. At first listen it did seem to be wide, but as you listen more it seems like its an okay sized stage, a bit wider than the HD 6XX, but the sounds feel further. It doesnā€™t extend its soundstage. I believe that the imaging and separation is what is causing this to happen. Everything feels like it has its own place in the mix and it has its own air within that confined soundstage.

Conclusion
I initially tried the Focal Clear about 2 years ago on a loaner for a week. I was initially impressed with it coming from my HD 6XX but quickly found the characteristics about it to be not what I enjoyed such as the metallic timbre, artificial highs/soundstage, and thin sound. As I have moved up in my gear and headphones I was always curious as to how the Utopia would be, and maybe it would bring me back into the Focal lineup. Since trying the Utopias, I really have 0 interest now in them. I would much rather pickup a Verite and call it a day. I donā€™t think the Utopia is bad, plenty of people really enjoy them. I just think that for me and my preferences they arenā€™t what I like. Maybe in the future if I can try them on my tube gear I might change my mind, but for now I will stay a ZMF shill :slight_smile:

McIntosh MHA150 Thoughts
Initial thoughts of the MHA150 was not positive. I wasnā€™t able to fully understand the sound characteristics since I was using new headphones but based on build quality there was a lot to be desired. The volume knobs was the worst plastic I have ever felt. I havenā€™t felt any audio gear, even cheap Chi-Fi with such a bad volume knob. It was also very touchy and had no resistance to the knob so any slight touch could send the volume skyrocketing and blowing out your eardrums.

From a power perspective it seemed to be powerful enough. The Focal Utopia is not a demanding headphone but I was having the volume at about 30% to have a decently loud listening volume.

IT is pretty to look at though :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Yeah, McIntosh solid stateā€¦not my thing either. Iā€™d try a different amp before blaming Focal.

Nice write up.

8 Likes

Thats is what I have heard from someone who owns both the MHA150 and Utopia. I wonā€™t write off the Utopia yet, but I def wonā€™t be purchasing one without being able to try it out in my own setup.

Thanks for the kind words!

2 Likes

I agree with @generic. Your impression varies quite a bit from the usual, which is fine as there has to be some back and forth for a proper discussion but as soon as I started reading your post I thought to myself - gotta be the amp. You need the Starlett, itā€™s obvious now :wink: :smiley:.

5 Likes

Donā€™t remind me :cry: I am waiting patiently for it! Wellā€¦ Not patiently enough because I bought another tube amp and headphoneā€¦

Pray tell kind sirā€¦

1 Like

Jumped on an e-stat. Got the Nectar Hive E-Stat. @DEXCOM7 currently has it and is testing it out.

Also grabbed the Bottlehead Tube Energizer. Lets just say the energizer is about the same cost as Starlett.

POSTIVE note though, I was able to get it in the same color blue as the Starlett so itā€™ll be matching :smiley:

EDIT: It took alot of willpower not to grab the Aficionado 300B thats on sale at SBAF from Gasspaser. I tried for his Liquid Crimson but he sold it before I could grab it.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll look into those, not familiar with them. :+1:t5:

1 Like

Ill DM you some pics and info

1 Like

I am enjoying them so far :smiley:

5 Likes

I would have to agree, I have had the Utopia for almost a couple weeks now and my YouTube review will be coming shortly but the short of it is they will reveal all of the audio chain and recording like no other headphone I have heard so if you have a chain that doesnā€™t complement them you will not have a good experience as well as if you have a poor recording or bad mastered track they will also take a spotlight and shine it all over them. Stay tuned for my video review and I will go into greater detail!

8 Likes

One available used Utopia in excellent condition for $2k; lacks an original cable.

Sorry if this should have gone in another thread.

1 Like

Iā€™ve really loved listening to the Utopias now since I got mine (used) in February. I really havenā€™t found anything to complain about, having moved up from some Mr. Speakers Aeon Closed (original model) ā€¦ I got to compare them (or the Stellias) with the LCD-4 (or 4z), Susvara and Meze Empyrean at a hi-fi show, on a variety of amps ā€¦ and for me they were the most satisfying ā€¦ although I wanted to spend more time with all the models.

4 Likes

I really enjoyed my time with them! For most music they are incredible. They will definitely be missed.

4 Likes

Having some fun over on my Instagram! Putting up new pieces of the photo puzzle daily!! Check it out!

7 Likes

Excellent shots. Love that you captured the machining!

2 Likes

Thanks @perogie it should look pretty cool after the last post on the Instagram page as it will reveal the entire photo!

2 Likes

I just found out that there is a store near me that sells higher end audio gear and they had a Utopia for demo, which I tried out yesterday on a lunch break.

I canā€™t stop thinking about this headphone. Definitely going to have to go back and listen more.

2 Likes