General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

This is going to be a long one. Will I cap the character limit (if any)? I’m still learning the vocabulary of this hobby, so bear with me.

TLDR
I want to “frame” my research on where to look for advice/review. Read too much different review, now lost on what would be a good starting point. IEM, Over-ear closed back, over-ear open back headphone.
→ For the same total value, I can’t decide between duo IEM or single IEM. I’m looking for a good IEM starting point that won’t disappointed me like the M50x felt. Headphone is more an “icing on the cake” advice.

The type of headphone/amp/DAC I am looking for is:

1. IEM
  2. Open-back
  3. Closed-back

My price range is:

1. Complicated?
    • Without the need of “mod” (cable, ear tip)
      Around 200$ (Canada)
  2. Less than 400$
  3. Less than 250$

I like to listen to:
Type of music (±): Rock, alternative rock, metal, world.

Artist:
Billy Talent, Metallica, Disturbed (Sound of silence live from conan is amazing), 3 Doors Down, The Sidh, Korn are my top listening.
But from time to time listening to Chevelle, Buckcherry, Eminem, Finger Eleven, Linkin Park, Mariana Trench, Papa Roach, Rise Against, System of a down, and other “classic rock 80” as an exemple men at work down under…

I will be using them for:
Home only. Travel is covered by Jaybird X3 and Bose QC35 II or cheap earphone that have been in my backpack since forever.

Gear:

• Headphone:
    • Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
    • Bose QuietComfort 35 II
  • Earphone:
    • Apple EarPods 3.5mm
    • Jaybird X3 with Comply Ear-tip
  • Amp/Dac:
    • JDS Labs Atom Stack
      (won’t upgrade until quite a while (if I ever upgrade), less than a year old)

Reason/explanation :
It will not be a one time purchase (all in one go). This would be more like a starting point for me on how/what/where to look for. IEM are for sure within a couple of week. Probably not gonna buy new headphone until the end of the year. With that in mind, I would prefer having the over-ear advice more general.

With the ongoing worldwide health situation, the IEM will probably be split even between meeting and listening to musing. Will only be use at home.

– IEM –

• I love the Jaybird sound signature (or the ability to change it and it stay with them no mater the device use). But comfort wise (the ear-hook that lock them in the ear) they are not the best and they are only Bluetooth. They only have been use with Comply foam ear-tip. I can wear them for as long as a complete day (8-10h or until the battery die) with only a mild discomfort at the end.
  • Not looking for silicone ear-tip. Can’t listen for longer than an hour, they are uncomfortable.
  • No in-lin mic with the cable, not using it.
  • Price explanation:
    • One IEM to buy would be the best.
      But I don’t really mind having to purchase different cable/ear-tip (no aliexpress).
    • Two IEM to buy is an option that I’m not oppose to try.
      Newbie in the IEM category, if two IEM could be better for me to try, I’m open. Total price is including both.

– Headphones –

• Open-back
    Sometime having only closed-back headphone is boring. Not hearing anything else is helpful, sometime, but not always. Plus the sound “in your face” for music like «Sound of silence by Disturbed» downgrade the hmmm… soundstage? of the experience. Best exemple is listening to Metallica S&M. It’s good, but I bet it’s better, if not awesome, with open-back headphone.
  • Closed-back
    Tired of ATH-M50x, they are just boring not in a boring way. The particular mix of base with close back isn’t allowing the voice to shine through. Meaning some voice are muffle by the instrument. Comparing to listening with Bose QC35 II, I clearly ear the voice (same track and source). The closed-back is less important to me, I’m just “feeling” what are the recommended option out there by the pro.

– Research –
1. IEM
I’ve read backward (starting by the most recent reply) many post by the community on IEM. Didn’t read each review in full, but at lest half of each. Those: Moondrop In-Ear Monitors and Ear Buds, Rank the IEMs You’ve Heard, IEMs Discovery & General Discussion, Chinese Brands - IEMs Discussion and The Ultra Cheap IEM Thread.

It’s quite a lot to compute. The advice/most talked IEM that seem to be the go to for beginner: BLON BL-03/05 and Tin Hifi T2/plus. After reading many (quite awesome) review, other’s like Tin Hifi T4, BLON BL-01, Moondrop Starfield, KXXS, Smabat NCO, etc… are tickling my interest.

I really like the comment (with the review) comparing the HD6XX vs BLON BL-03 and what happen using the hyped IEM.
Those “hyped” headphone are less interesting to me. Either because of the hype or past experience listening to the hype trend (m50x). This is the reason why I’m asking where/how I should consider my option. With some (too many for my liking) saying quality control (QC for someone in Quebec City is hard to catch) on BL-03 can be a hit or miss, I’m thinking exploring something else. The Moondrop look promising, but again, could it be only the hype train? If so, the KXXS could be worth it (even though over budget in Canada).

2. Headphones
Open-back:
I’m not really looking for the greatest, just what should be my option. No HD6XX, one of my family member (almost the same taste in music/listening experience and used the M50) have bought those and hate dislike that purchase ever since. I don’t remember all of why, but in short, feel really cheap, not worth the price (dutie/custom), the base is impossible to find (not even a light touch), but comfort wise they are surprising. I was thinking going for the HD600/650/660s or beyerdynamic DT 990 pro. But again, I don’t mind investing more if better option are out there. Or reading more on the subject, just need a little push in the right direction.

Closed-back:
The comment on this present thread about the ATH-M50x before HD6XX is maybe the reason I’ve included closed-back. Searching on Google always gave me the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro headphone as a replacement of the ATH-M50x. But now with the Focal Stellia as a potential buy, I’m once again founding myself in a “hunt” for review/comparison. Before doing too much research and focusing only on this “new” competitor, I will ask the community/experienced people there take on it. Are they the choice that many people go for or you have other option/idea. How should I explore this new contender?

Closeout?
If you made it this far, bravo and thank you for your time and interest in what I have to say.
Overall, I’m looking for advice or your point of view on how I should processed my futur IEM buying experience. Should I go with the hype train (BL-03 and Tin T2) or make more research on other brand (ex T4, Moondrop…)?
As a “bonus”, what advice have you when upgrading a closed-back headphone and adding open-back to my collection?
Price is in Canadian. (I generally use: 1.30$=$1 USD)

If you are not quite sure how to help, it could be because of my way of writing is hard to understand. If so, ask, I won’t bite. I will be more than happy to rephrase it.

4 Likes