General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

Yes. I use my ZenDAC V1 with a balanced Hart cable and aftermarket wall brick to drive the HD600. It has more than enough power, with the volume pot below 12:00. The bass boost is tuned for a reasonable bump with the 600, but way too boomy on the 6XX. The HD600 would likely be fine through a single-ended cable and USB power.

The ZenDAC can’t bring the HD 800 S anywhere near its potential, but it’s still is loud enough. The ZenDAC struggles with the Beyer DT-880 600 ohm (single ended permanent factory cable; not loud even at max volume). The ZenDAC doesn’t have enough power to make the AEONFlow Closed sound decent, but Dan Clark planars demand a lot of current.

1 Like

Thanks. Are you using the iFi Power 5V cable for the ZenDac?

Nope. It’s a random universal power supply from Amazon that I had laying around. The ZenDAC is an entry level product so I didn’t see the point of the iFi unit. I mainly feed audio with the Apple camera adapter from an iPhone or iPad.

1 Like

I know I mentioned this earlier , here is the “kind of fishy , but seems kind of right” based on an Amazon price : https://www.monicascreativejuices.com/product/topping-d30-pro-desktop-dac-open-box/

1000 in stock??

Then you can wait a few days until the fecal materials are displaced by the impeller.

I have experience with too good to be true and PayPal made good on the scam merch.

1 Like

@Dragonborn, this is a super obvious fake! Go to About Us: “Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcor.”

This is default Latin filler text for websites.

HD600 for $106!

Bakoon 13r amp $111!

4 Likes

@generic I thought so , it looked too good to be true . The reason I thought it even somewhat legit , Amazon was selling the D30 Pro for $109 , prior to selling out/being discontinued on their site . Listing is out of stock now though . If I could figure out how to screenshot on my desktop , I’d be happy to do it to show . I did see where a very legit site is selling a refurbed D30 Pro for $225 . Latin ? Learn something new each day :slight_smile:

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: The Off Topic

Yeeeeeeeeeeaaah no. :laughing:
:melting_face:

Hi,

New user here. I currently have the Sony WH-1000XM4 but am looking to replace them with noise-cancelling earbuds as I don’t like the feel of over-ears. I should be able to sell them for about £150, and that is all I want to spend on in-ears really, and looking for some advice on what you guys think are the best.

I’ve heard a lot of good things about the Sony WF-1000XM4 and the Bose QuietComforts, but would be happy to hear about any other experiences and advice.

What phone do you use? Honestly, AirPods Pro 2 are hard to beat for features and sound quality. Sounds crazy to say, but they’re legit.

1 Like

Thanks for that!

Sorry I should have said, I’m on android (Pixel 7 Pro).

Is the Hifiman HE-560 v4 enough of an upgrade over the 4XX ? Is there a general opinion of the Monolith M1070 ? I rarely see any reviews/testimonials about them .

I have the M1070. It kind of gives you a taste of what you’ll get with a proper Audeze headset. It’s somewhat darker sounding compared to the family of 4XX HIFImans. And technically it’s more of a side-grade. I’d skip it. If you like the 4XX then the Edition X or the Ananda are logical upgrade paths. I went to the Ananda and have mostly shelved my HE-400i set.

3 Likes

@InvisibleInk . Ok, thanks :slightly_smiling_face: . Like my A30 Pro so far, gives more bottom end than my SP200 does, but the SP is a bit brighter, if that makes sense .

I have the HE-560 v2, and I find it to be quite competent and balanced but not compelling. It’s one of the least used of my headphones. I’d considered the Anya Stealth as an upgrade but stretched for the Rosson Audio Design RAD-0 instead. I do not regret the decision.

The 560 is better than the Sennheiser HD-6xx but I listen to that more. I listen to the Grado RS1e more.

@pennstac , I spend time going between my HD6XX & 4XX , more the 4XX actually . I saw a used pair of DCA Aeon Open X for $350.

1 Like

When I wrote the above, I was on my iPhone, so I was brief. The HE-560 is clearly better than an entry level headphone. I find it to be just a touch heavy, but quite comfortable. I listened to it a lot when I first got it, and it was a gift from my better half, so I’ll never sell it. Over the course of the versions, the HE-560 has had some quality issues, with a few people experiencing driver failures. I’ve been lucky with mine.

The Sennheiser HD-6xx gets listened to as much because it is a known standard quantity as anything else, but I find that when I do listen to it, I like it. I keep it on my main rotation, driven by a Lyr3 and Bifrost 2/64. If I plug the Hifiman HE-560 into that combination, it is clearly better overall than the Senn. The FQ is more even, bass extended, significantly more air, and faster. But that station is also where I have the STAX SRM-T1S coming out of the balanced side of the Bifrost 2/64, and the Nectar Hive headphones, which are lighter, faster, and similar in overall sound to the HE-560. They are preferred.

I sometimes plug the RAD-0 into this combination, but I keep the Rossons in their case, and often listen to them in a different location. As one would expect, the Rosson’s are a good cut above, not in the same class as the HE-560. When I got the HE-560, they listed at $999 and were on sale for a bit over $700. The Rosson was over $2200 new. Much more than I’d ever paid for a headphone.

I still think that the GRADO RS-1e (Now RS-1x) is an extremely worthy choice, and valid in it’s price range, especially with the Beautiful Audio pads. Most who have heard them agree. They’re light, comfortable, have great soundstage. Bass is stronger and deeper than people expect, and the Beautiful Audio pads change them from the on-ear to an over ear.

I have not listened to many of the other headphones like the AEON Open so I can’t give any opinion. All I’m trying to do is to give you a better feeling for the HE-560.

1 Like

I have the same headphones, powered by the SPL Phonitor se ($1450. in Canada at the time of purchase) and the result is fantastic. Synergy is more important than what retail prices suggest. The scaling potential of this headphone, so often mentioned in this forum, is impressive. After buying the HD6XX, it took me awhile to choose the amplifier. I got the best I could afford; and single-ended versus balanced becomes irrelevant at that level. I haven’t tried the ZMF pads yet, (or a ‘better’ cable…) but I admire their approach. The Aeolus or Auteur Classic are attractive options in the near future. With high quality gear, the HD6XX are amazing.

2 Likes

@pennstac . No problem :slightly_smiling_face: . I appreciate the impressons/thoughts ! I’ve been reading/watching some reviews when I can find them . Surprisingly, there seem to be few on the 560-v4’s, much like the m1070, so any firsthand knowledge is well apprecisted . Hifiman in general, seem to have QC problems . Fortunately, I’ve never had any with my 4XX . My 6XX , I primarily use with my Darkvoice . My Topping A30 Pro, everything else . I’ll have to look up the Nectar Hive . I still have a bottle of Tuscany cologne I got from my Mrs when we got married, so I get the attatchment , your 560’s in this case :slightly_smiling_face: .
I’ve found a used D30 Pro dac for $200 . Just have to see what I can swing this week .

1 Like