General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

Ahem:

HeadAmp GS-X Mini Balanced Headphone Amplifier/Pre-Amp

3 Likes

Oddly enough, no computer here. I have a work laptop and use an iPad pro for personal use, so outside something rough-and-tumble for the garage gym, no speakers in the house.

1 Like

Haha, that would be perfect for my setup, but unfortunately I have a bunch of vet bills to pay.

@elliot I would add the GSX-Mini to your list. It’s at the high end of your budget, but @mfadio is offering a significant discount on something that is almost brand new.

2 Likes

Without a PC, what’s your source of music? Are you streaming music from your iPad pro?

Yeah, all the music I listen to is streamed off Quboz.

3 Likes

You should add the Bryston BHA-1 to your list, if you have the room for a full width component. Usually available at $1000-$1300 used, it is one of my absolute favorite solid state headphone amplifiers available.

Of your listed choices the Soloist is a super solid choice, I have great feelings for the Violectric brand, but have not heard that amp, and the iCan is weird. Swiss Army knives are cool, but if you’re already headed to separates, ti seems like you’ll move past that one fast.

As @PaisleyUnderground said, the GS-X mini is also highly regarded in that price range.

You could also think about a Chord Hugo-2, which is a DAC / amp, but has the line outs to become just a DAC when you decide to go tubes, or try different flavors of solid state.

1 Like

This question is hard to answer. Comparing the sound of IEMs to headphones (and both to speakers) is a bit like comparing apples to oranges (and bananas). Each does something different, and each has its own advantages and limitations.

Tyll Hertsens was a leading figure in personal audio until his retirement a few years ago. He ran a website called Innerfidelity (now taken over by Stereophile) in which he reviewed gear and provided readers with a “Wall of Fame” for the best headphones and IEMs. He had this to say about the differences between IEMs and headphones:

When well designed, in-ear monitor sound quality can rival world class full-size open headphones, but will usually not have as strong a sense of space and imaging.

To elaborate on this, I would say that with speakers, the music can surround and envelope you; with headphones, the music can be heard in a smaller orbit immediately around your head (when done well), and with IEMs, that orbit can be smaller still. (I’ve only heard a couple of IEMs, both out of your price range, that project a spacious sound, the Campfire Audio Solaris and the Soranik Bastille Audiophile/Signature).

Some folks prefer IEMs for their versatility and convenience. I prefer to listen to music with headphones but have situations where I need (and love) IEMs. You could divide your budget to get a decent pair of headphones and IEMs. But you seem to prefer the idea of devoting the funds to the best setup you can achieve. Given the ways in which you intend to listen to music, you might be better served by getting IEMs. Remember, though, that to get the best experience from them, you would need a decent source, which could be a dongle (a DAC/amp combination) that could be attached to a phone or tablet or laptop, an all-in-one DAC/amp unit (like those produced by iFi), or a digital audio player (DAP). Decent options for these can be had for $150+.

If you go with headphones, you’d probably need an all-in-one DAC/amp, a powerful DAP, or better yet, a desktop DAC and separate amplifier.

A couple of final thoughts for you: I recently got to hear a pair of Oriolus Isabellae IEMs and they’re excellent for $600 (in fact, the excellent regardless of price). I would recommend them to you wholeheartedly except for one issue: the shells are quite large and might not be comfortable if you lie on your side. You might also keep an eye out for the newly-announced DUNU Zen Pro, which is an updated version of the Zen I mentioned previously; apparently it now has a better driver and has a better treble response. I’ve yet to hear it.

6 Likes

Thank you! I appreciate your reply very much! I have lots to think about.

1 Like

Any suggestions for a sub $500 DAC?

I’m currently testing the iFi Audio Signature V2 which I like but I need optical input as well as USB.

1 Like

Modi multibit but I don’t know what VAT would be on it. Note that the supply chain for the chips the modi multibit uses are severely affected by supply chain issues. I had delivered today one I ordered in March. I do like ifi stuff, but I’ll have to defer to others here if they know of one with optical input

1 Like

Do you have strong chip preferences? I’ve been using a ProJect in my 2 channel and have been fairly happy with the results. Happy enough that if I change it I will skip to either a BF2 or a Qutest.

For Schiit stuff, I would be looking at adding around 40% to whatever the price is. If I was going to order another Schiit product, it would probably be BF2.

2 Likes

Not really biased, sort of looking to upgrade the SU8 that I am currently using.

Although, looking at prices here at the moment, I might just hold off for a while and aim a little higher than 500.

I would encourage that. I don’t hear much difference between $200 and $500, but once I break into the $1,000 USD range there seems to be a bump.

3 Likes

If that’s the case, the standard recommendation is the BF2.

3 Likes

Yes, I have it on the list, it’s the $1000 price tag (with shipping and duties) and the fact that I would need to ship back to US if there are any problems that always makes me hesitate.

I try to keep larger purchases limited to EU for possible warranty issues, even though our pricing is higher and selection is more limited.

3 Likes

Living in Europe I fully get your point.
For a price around €1100 some reputable stores in Europe have mint Chord Qutest which IMO would be a good option.
For something less you can get a RME, you can get it directly from the company, even if this option doesn’t meet my tastes.
@MRHifiReviews reported some good impressions about the DAC section of the Matrix Mini i-3 and this is another one you can buy in Europe from reputable sellers.
I hope this helps and good luck for your search.

3 Likes

I totally forgot that you live outside the US - my fault! Hopefully you can find a BF2 on the used market. Otherwise, I wonder if the SU9 would be enough of an upgrade over the SU8 you currently have. I’ve not heard it, but those that I trust that have heard it say the glare from the 8 is gone on the 9, so that could be worth the price for some people.

4 Likes

Does anyone have any experience with the Waudio or Monosaudio cables sold on Amazon?

I’d like to upgrade some power cables from stock and have only ever purchase Pangea, but these look like a potentially good alternative.

Now that I have invested in my speaker setup, I’m returning to the tube headphone amplifier question but in a lighter pretense. Looking for recommendations on sub-$1k tube amps.

Top two headphones used currently are FHM Arya And ZMF VC.

1 Like