General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

For those that were previously following along on my mission for quality sound while I train… here’s where we landed.

13 Likes

@monochromios I took a look at that machine. Very nice. Do you know if it will run HQPlayer?

I believe you can use it through Roon

Hi, looking for some advice

I’m trying to find a tube amp and a solid state amp

My price range is: $500 - $1k for the tube amp
$1k - $2k for the solid state

I like to listen to: everything except metal

I will be using them for: desk setup/home

I’d like the solid state amp to have a warm and strong character to the sound and it would be best if its not too large, my headphones are the HD6XX as a daily driver and a ZMF Auteur for the weekends lol.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Hello! I actually recommend swapping budgets, putting $1000-$2000 toward the tube amp and $500-$1000 toward the solid state amp; in my opinion based on my experience, you do not need to spend 1-2K on a solid state amp, as a really good SS amp can be had within that price range. A good example of this is the RebelAmp or Schiit Jotunheim. You’re using high impedance headphones, so you just want to be sure the amp you choose has plenty of power; even better if it’s “high current.”

In my experience, tube amps really start to flex their strengths in the higher end segment; I haven’t been truly impressed by anything under $1000 or so; and that’s why I don’t yet own one.

Have you been able to audition anything yet?

9 Likes

Interesting, you know what, I’ll put more budget into the tube but I have not been able to audition anything yet, any recommendations for $1k+ tube amps?

See here:

6 Likes

thanks a lot! ill take a look at that.

1 Like

:wink:

7 Likes

I’ve only heard a few that have blown me away, but I was not able to directly compare them to one another at the same time; and since auditory memory is short, I will defer to people like @generic and others that have had the opportunity to do so. Definitely check out his post and links above. Also, @MRHifiReviews would be a great resource. He has a YouTube channel as well: https://www.youtube.com/user/MarcelloRostagni

I’ll agree with @Nuance’s comment and advice. It used to be said that there weren’t many decent tube amp options between $500 and $2K. The Quicksilver Audio and the Feliks Audio amps may have changed that, although I’ve not heard them and I don’t know if they synergize well with the HD 6XX or the Auteur.

A few solid state amps to consider beside the Jot 2 and Rebelamp are the Monoprice Liquid Gold X and maybe the Phonitor One (and perhaps other Phonitor amps). With the Phonitor, do please read up about how to plug in and unplug headphones; the volume pot has to be turned all the way down, I believe, or else there’s a risk of frying your headphones. Beware.

The Monoprice amp varies in price considerably. It’s MSRP is $999, I think, but people have purchased it for much less. Keep an eye out for Black Friday, of course. It also has a DAC in it but you don’t have to use it.

Again, I’m not recommending these two solid state amps specifically for your headphones, but they might be worth looking into.

4 Likes

Very good to know! Thank you very much.

I have been a long time user of the Sennheiser HD 600 headphones which are open, of course. As a professional musician, I’ve recently started doing more semi hollow guitar and acoustic guitar work, which means that that sound bleeds over into my HD 600 headphones when I am using them with my Kemper Profiler amp. What are some equivalent FRFR closed can sets that might get me in that same tonal zone. Budget wise, would like to keep it under $600.

SRH1540 has a good midrange. It may be on the darker side music-wise (whole spectrum), but it should be pretty accurate within the guitar frequency range.

It will be a little boomy in the low end – as opposite to the HD600 – then you’d probably want to back it off a little with EQ.

Cheers.

1 Like

The Dan Clark Aeon Closed X (Drop.com) is $379. It’s a closed back planar and not unlike the HD 600. I own the HD 600 and the very similar ACX predecessor the Aeon Flow Closed. Dan Clark headphones require a dedicated amp for decent performance (e.g., minimum of $100 to $300+).

2 Likes

All,

I’m not going nuts here but when I listen to my TOTL DAPs with the Cayin C9, FLAC, balanced. I’m at times hard-pressed to discern that from my desktop setup. Maybe with some songs with a certain headphone but not enough to say holy crap. Anyone else tinker with this idea/experience?

Hey guys, thank you so much for your quick responses. I’ve tried to post the same thing on Head – Fi, and those guys never respond to anything unless you talk like you have a graduate degree from MIT in audio technology… I really appreciate you guys stepping up and helping out.

10 Likes

Chasing down these suggestions…any others I should investigate?

There aren’t many neutral (HD 600 like) closed headphones in the sub $600 price bracket.

You might find more ideas in these threads:

3 Likes

I’d add the Focal Elegia to your list. It’s discontinued, and Adorama has periodic sales for $399. They’re currently selling open box for $379.

I tried the Elegia and liked it a lot, but it didn’t have enough bass for me so I returned it. I tend to like neutral-warm headphones, so YMMV.

3 Likes