General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

Very good, Grasshopper! Close…Genesis GV80.

3 Likes

Analog usb outputs are rare. You’ll have a hard time finding a dac that sends analog audio over usb.

3 Likes

Looking to change my at work set up. I am in the office 40-45 hours a week and I spend 90% of the time in my office with my headsets on listing to about 50% podcasts, 30% music (all over the place with music), 20% with my airpod pros in with the noise canceling on to focus.

Currently, I use apple air pod pros from my iphone or apple watch, heavy into the apple ecosystem. Key things I like about them: 1) the noise canceling as folks outside my office can be distracting with chatter and phone calls. I could close my door but like to that I can see my team and closing the door wont help that our loading dock is outside my office. The NC goes a long way to eliminating the low rumble of the truck engines. 2) That they auto pause, so when I take them out to talk with people (probably 20-30 times a day, I don’t have to go back and find where I left off on a podcast. 3) They are wireless and allow me to get up and move around my office as needed. 4) They are mostly invisible to me as they are so comfortable.

So with podcasts, sound quality isn’t super important, but I do like something decently nice. My home office set up is Meze empyrean, SMSL SU8, and SMSL SP200. I LOVE that set up and that I can go 12 hours straight with those on being cool and comfortable.

The main reason I want to move away from the airpods is that the buds in my ears have started to make my ear canals ache. I don’t think they like the pressure all day.

I was looking to switch over to some close back headphones to aid with the noise canceling and I already have a ifi zen dac laying around. Being I love the meze sound signature and design, I was looking at the meze 99s. I know the sound quality will be much better than my air buds but I would loss the active NC, auto pause, and wireless set up.

Being I am deep in the apple ecosystem I was considering the Max’s. I have seen some relatively positive reviews on youtube, but wondering if folks here have tried them both, thoughts on sound quality and comfort? Do either of them run hot on you head? I remember having closed backs years ago and thinking they ran hot after a bit wearing them. How are either of them for staying cool?

Any options I am not thinking of?

5 Likes

For podcast listening, or to movies, or even for non-critical music listening, the Max is terrific. Very comfortable, works intuitively with your Apple devices, and noise reduction is great (just got off an airplane where I used it to watch a movie).

It’s absolutely NOT a substitute for an audiophile headphone (I don’t have experience with the Meze headphones, but can make a safe assumption you’d prefer them from a SQ perspective), but for many, many use cases, it’s a nice way to go.

6 Likes

Yea, watching some reviews, many say the Max is comfortable, but might not be great for really long sessions. Being I wear my ear buds for long periods and headphones when home, maybe one with batteries and all that tech isnt the best idea.

Might have been better to ask, what closed back headphones are comfortable for super long sessions?

1 Like

I found the AKG K371 extremely comfortable during long listening sessions. DCA Aeon headphones are super comfortable as well, but they might need an external amplifier.

2 Likes

The most comfortable for me are Koss Portapro/KSC75+headband/KPH30i, without a doubt. I actually forget they are on my head even when not playing anything :smiley:

However, they are not your usual headphones.

2 Likes

Don’t have experience with either one of those (Max or Meze) but I find the Radiance very comfortable. Weird, considering the Clear are extremely uncomfortable to me. They fit completely differently imo.
They’re the only closed back I own so I don’t have anything to compare them too but I believe they’re very isolating too. Easy to drive as well.

First time commenter here. Look forward to your expert feedback.

TL;DR: DAP choice: Cayin N3Pro or the soon-to-be released Fiio M11 Plus ( … which of course no one has heard yet).

I don’t “need” a DAP (see below) but I’m considering one anyway. I had narrowed it down to the Cayin N3Pro…but it looks like Fiio is introducing an M11 Plus for $699. Instead of AK chips, it uses two ES9068AS. I have the Monolith 24459 desktop DAC/Amp, which is fantastic. It has AK chips, so a DAP with ESS could be an interesting, complementary path, as would be the numerous output options of the Cayin. I don’t have any experience with tube output.

If they were the same price, I would lean Fiio. But, the Fiio is some $200 more and so my question comes down to if it’s actually $200 better.

Use case: DAP would be my source for, primarily, two IEMs, IMR Elan and 7Hz Timeless. I have a decent amount (202 GB) of high res sources. Also stream from Amazon HD. Understand my only option doing that with the Cayin is Bluetooth. Which isn’t too annoying, but maybe not ideal.

And if you’re so inclined: I don’t need a DAP because I work from home. Have for almost three years and there’s no sign of a change, and no or very little travel, so my PC>Monolith setup is sufficient. How can you talk me into getting a DAP anyway? :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance.

4 Likes

What about walking around the neighborhood or the park? I’m always walking around with my dog.

You have to make a portable use case. An android DAP can do music playback better than any all-purpose phone.

1 Like

Hello, this is my first post on this great forum. I have been reading many posts but never posted myself. But now I am looking for some advice. Please note I am no true audiophile :blush:

I’m a mastering engineering and I find myself using my headphones more and more. I currently have a Sennheiser HD 600 that I have had for 12 years now. But I am itching for something more detailed and not so in your head. I love the neutral tamber of the 600’s as it’s been great in a mastering context but I can’t help the itch to get something more detailed with more natural/transparent soundstage depth. Also not to mention more accurate in the sub-bass area as the 600’s roll-off is pretty deep.

I do use EQ to bring my 600 to taste which is pretty close to Harman curve and will use EQ with any new headphones I get. So I’m not opposed to EQ

My price range is: up to $5000. As I state that I am looking for value. If a $5k headphone is not 2 to 3x’s better than a $1k pair of phones then I would lean towards the $1k one and spend the rest of the money on mastering hardware.

I like to listen to: to everything

I will be using them for: mastering / audio engineering

8 Likes

Oh, sorry. Meant to include that. I do walk the dog almost every day. In the warmer months, this is a 2+ mile walk, but even in winter it’s a good 25-30 minutes, so there’s a start of a use case.

2 Likes

I’m a Huge Dap and Iem fan. I use my Dap for Desktop listening, by plugging into a higher powered amp for overear headphones that need the extra Ooomph. .

2 Likes

I’m a “neutral head” who has long owned the HD 600 and explored upgrades.

Common recommendations might include the Focal Clear (Original) at $1,000 or so, Clear MG $1,500, Sennheiser HD 800 or HD 800 S ($1,100 to $1,400 street; varies per sales and discounts). In the price-is-no-object class, the Focal Utopia ($4,400) is a logical contender for mastering. However there are many esoteric $5K models out there that I haven’t tried. Check out @Resolve’s headphone ranking thread for opinions and reviews based on greater experience.

The Focal family offers dynamic, clean, and punchy sound with better treble extension and detail than the HD 600. However, the stage isn’t very wide (but wider than the notoriously narrow HD 600).

I’m currently bouncing back and forth between the original Clear and HD 800 S, and find the HD 800 S better in every way except dynamics. Its tone and timbre are similar to the HD 600, but the treble is much more extended and relaxed. Its stage is among the widest available in headphones. However, the bass isn’t deep or punchy, so I routinely use it on a tube amp or with EQ. The Clear is easier to drive and not as picky about amps, but the mids are relatively grainy and the highs can be edgy on some setups.

In my experience headphone ROI/value absolutely increases to the $1K to $2K range, but the law of diminishing return bites after that. I’ve demoed $5K to $10K systems but not felt compelled to buy. Still, many others on this forum do indeed prefer these products, and I too hear differences. Everyone’s hearing and priorities differ, so in the end you must try for yourself.

6 Likes

I personally think the argument that a DAP is perfect for travel is flawed. With the increased noise levels while traveling combined with lower focus on the actual music, does it make sense to put a good chunk of change toward a DAP? Those distractions will likely negate the increase in sound quality you’d hear, especially compared to sitting in a quiet environment, fully focusing on the music.

With that said, I think you already listed the best reason to purchase a DAP, which is that you have a decently sized library of hi res music; that alone would be enough for me. Sure, you can just stream everything, but you paid for that music, so…

5 Likes

Given the modest potential of mobile audio quality and high risk of damage, loss, theft, etc. I’m exploring cheap burner phones as Bluetooth MP3 players. The source below strongly recommends <$40 Android phones.

They work fine off WiFi and (at least some, such as the Tracfones mentioned) do not require cellular activation or fees. This functions as a backdoor iPod Touch at a tiny fraction of the cost.

3 Likes

For Bluetooth MP3, I think this is a great option, especially if the primary use-case is while on-the-go or while sitting at a desk and working (not fully focused on the music).

I used to take my Dunu SA6 and iBasso DAP into the office, but I realized it’s just a waste because the music is just background noise while I work. I now just use my Galaxy Buds Pro (previously exclusively used for workouts) and Etymotic ER2XR’s because I’ll never fully appreciate the previous combo while focusing on work instead of the music.

2 Likes

Your budget is terrific and you are gonna get a truly amazing pair of headphones for that. 5g’s is a lot to play with. You could even get 2 very good headphones for that price. Anyhow my recs would be

The D-8000 Pro by Final Audio. Retail is $4,200 USD.
Or

LCD X. Retail 1,799USD and The Sennheiser HD 800’s. retail cost is $1,499 USD.

Honestly these headphones have received high accolades in the audiophile world for mastering.
You get it all. Openness, detail, accuracy and soundstage. All 3 headphones are unique to themselves though. I highly recommend auditioning them all. :slight_smile:

Best of luck and let me know what you decide on. I’m very interested. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You make a good point that a good DAP isn’t only or even primarily for travel. I think the biggest reason I would have to invest in a DAP is working in an office, which isn’t currently the case. Using one for “travel” is much more secondary.

2 Likes

Earpadz vs. Brainwavz - FIGHT!

I’m looking into getting a new pair of earpads for my Grados (that right I said Grados, you gotta problem with that :grinning:) Looking on Amazon.ca I see that Earpadz and Brainwavz are pretty much the same price. I’ve been using the Brainwavz velour for a while but they’re beyond worn so I was wondering if it’d be worth paying the tiny bit extra ~$5 for the Earpadz jerzee.
BTW, did I mention I “modded” my Grados so I can use proper earpads?

Hey, while I’m here… my 58X is needing new pads too. Sennheiser is way backlogged on stock and I wanted to know if anybody has tried the Earpadz jerzee for them. Any effect on the sound?

1 Like