General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

You can look at the Flux labs Volot, the Oor, or CFA3

4 Likes

The Pass Team’s Whammy HPA I just built will practically drive a dead short. It has current for days for tough loads.

$325 parts and 1 day to build.

3 happy Class-A headphone amplifiers: (clockwise)
Quicksilver Audio, Whammy, PS Audio Gain Cell

The Quicksilver will drive 7 volts into 30 ohms about 10 watts. PS Audio Gain Cell about 3 Watts into 20 Ohms.

6 Likes

Thank you and everyone else for the recommendations.

KBear KS1
Tanchjim Tanya
SenyorC’s CCA CRA
Nuance’s FiiO x Crinacle FHE:Eclipse

ordering a few today.

2 Likes

Great! Let us know which ones your ears like after you’ve had a chance try each one out with your favorite tunes.

1 Like

I want throw in my opinion, as my name would suggest I am somewhat new to the realm of all audio.

First and foremost, headphones definitely do have a place in any audio enthusiasts repertoire.

However, in my experience I loved my headphone experience at first and after headphones getting a home theater and using speakers in stereo mode with fairly poor components, like my AVR as my main amp. I found I prefer stereo listening far more.

My point is consider all your options, audio has a lot of branches to it. Some people can’t have stereo music playing loud as it may disturb others.

I would have to say my next and most important topic would be that not all headphones are treated equally and vary by individual. What some people consider the top of the line may not sound good to you.

So it’s even more difficult to invest money on something you have no foundation on. You may get a pair of the best headphones and enjoy it better than what you have now. But little do you know that there are 3 4 or 5 headphones near the same price you actually enjoy listening to more than that single headphone you just bought and thought you are finished.

I am unaware if anyone has already mentioned this and my apologies if they have. This is very real and not to be neglected.

I have a very small experience with different headphones, to the tune of about 15 headphones which I do not own, I’ve had an opportunity to listen too. From low to super high end and honestly of that 15 I probably only preferred 5 of them as something I would ever consider buying.

I just had an opportunity at an audio show to listen to 5 4,000+ dollar headphones and even of those five 2 were for certain I loved and a third was maybe.

I do realize synergy does play some type of roll, but I am not one to spend probably 20,000 to find out what works best for these single headphones when a few sound amazing with any equipment.

1 Like

Kinki Studio THR-1. I have one on the way.

It’s basically a KS 2-channel power amp down-throttled for headphones. It puts out something over 2 wpc on 300 ohm headphones, which is borderline nuts (but kinda tells what the amp is built to do).

1 Like

@Resolve i hope its ok i am asking here …
i am an electronic music producer ( Mainly Techno , House ) and looking for the right model for me
I went to a friend who is selling his LCD4z and the sound was very good but after working with for half an hour they became super heavy on my neck , i am not able to Test here in Tel Aviv the the Focal Clear MG Pro but i heard great things about them ( my friend is selling his LCD4z the around same price of the Focal ) .
I know the LCD x are also same weight as the LCD4z so i am really confused and will really appreciate if by any chance i could get your highly appreciate feedback ,
again i am producer working long hours in the studio its more for producing and less for Mastering
Many Thanks :pray:

4 Likes

Sounds like weight is a key consideration for you. I do think the Clear and Clear Mg are both lighter and more comfortable. At around that price, for headphones with great punch and impact, they are some of the best. But it’s also tough to know what you’ll like without having the chance to try stuff. So I’d say find somewhere with a return policy haha.

2 Likes

@Resolve
Really appreciate your feedback , yes i know its a problem here not having the option to demo any of those headphones ….
are there any other headphones you think you could recommend for electronic music around
$2000-2500 or just need to stay focus on the Focal ?

Thanks Again

If you like the LCD-4z but the weight is holding you back, maybe take a look at the lighter LCD-GX?

1 Like

i am not sure that LCD-GX is on the level of 4z or the Clear MG Pro ( in terms of the sound )

I used to think light was key, now its more about total comfort with light clamping pressure but interesting since none of our heads is the same, its totally personal. For me, my 800s, 820’s, Ether 2 fit my head great and my custom ( custom molded to fit to ear ear ) IEM JH audio Carbon Layla well are pretty much perfect.

1 Like

to be honest i really loved the sound of the LCD4z , but after a while i had pressure on my neck and since it’s more for producing i am usually using headphones for few hours on a session .

1 Like

It’s pretty much how I see all the LCD’s. I do or did enjoy the sound but the weight and comfort moved me to sell them.

@cpp Same for me as well. The LCD-X is just too heavy, LCD-4z was on the edge of too heavy, and I bet the LCD-5 is nice. There are a flood of LCD-5’s for sale presently both here and Head-fi. Funny how some resale items can come in waves.

1 Like

The type of headphones I am looking for is (Closed-back, open-back, in-ear, wireless, etc): Wireless (preferably noise-reducing or canceling) (Because I have annoying sisters that I want to “block out” sometimes)
My price range is: Nothing over 300 dollars
I like to listen to: Music/Video Games
I will be using them for: (Travel, commuting, home, gym, etc…): Sometimes I’ll use them in water, but in general, just daily use!

Hello, I’ve crossed out the information above (because I already know the exact pair of earbuds I’m looking for)!

I know, I already posted about having JLab Studio headphones

Unfortunately, these have gone to total shit (as I did not know that they were a used pair from my friend and were about 5-6 years old)

In case you want to know how they went to total shit

The audio failed! It originally started out as a “singular side audio failure” (audio still works on one side but doesn’t on the other, it’s kinda like having mono audio on ALL the time)!

However, then BOTH sides ended up failing (severe audio degradation lasted 3 days before the audio went dead on the one good side!)

Now, I learned about this product from a Youtuber (GreyStillPlays) and want to know, is it worth it?

I know there will be debating options on this, so I’ll consider every word of advice given (as long as it is related to the topic!)

In addition, if you don’t want to share your reasoning publicly, you can send me a PM (as long as you have TL1)!

In other words: I’ll allow sharing of advice publicly, or privately!

I’ll be looking forward to the advice y’all have! :slight_smile:

What headphone are you looking to buy? I think I saw you were considering Raycon’s before this thread was moved?

If so, there’s a very easy answer: NO. Raycon’s are overpriced pieces of trash hyped by paid marketing and celebrity endorsers who don’t know a damn thing about quality sound.

I would rather drag my balls through broken glass than listen to Raycon’s, man.

8 Likes

“I’m accepting of all people regardless of how they find pleasure.”

So you are saying Raycon is a maybe?

5 Likes

Use apple? Buy airpod pros. Love mine.

No, I do not use apple