General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

Ok… I’m trying to catch up on all that has transpired… there are a lot… and I mean a lot of words being written here… whew

So just off the cuff… and only having read a couple of the posts… I find some tempers have been triggered on all sides… so maybe it’s time for everyone to pull back a bit and take a break…

Respect is both earned and given… and runs both ways! So let’s remember we are all People on varying Journey’s with different levels of knowledge and experiences. So, with that in mind, please respect each other and each other’s time and efforts. As they are generally given freely here… if you ask a question don’t expect to get a response, or one that fits in how you would want it issued to oneself. If you respond, don’t expect it to be received in the manner you think it should/will be.

It’s hard enough talking about these things in person let alone when just in text form… context is lost and jokes/sarcasm/wit, etc are usually even more so lost.

So, with that said two wrongs don’t make a right and do unto others as you want done unto yourself… if you don’t have something nice to say… well you should know the rest… none of us are perfect… we all have bad days, frustration points… and just plain ol’ WTF moments ha! Let’s get back to trying to be amicable please… I know it isn’t always easy, especially in the current situation we all find ourselves in with the holidays and covid.

Your friendly neighborhood mod!

15 Likes

So, any one have a high recommendation for Singxer amps? I have zero and am curious on people’s experiences.

They just released the SA-1 which looks beastly based on specs. I have a Jotunheim 2 on order, but do need an amp with some juice that has a smallish footprint.

1 Like

Hi everyone, I apologize in advance for the wall of spam.
I assume this type of question is asked many times over, I’ve looked to see if there was a similar question asked by someone else but didn’t manage to find one.

Looking for: closed back over the ear preferably wireless (although the option to connect via wire is a nice bonus)in the $300 or less range, primary usage will be watching streaming shows on my iPad, or Pixel 3xl (streaming Pandora from my phone too…better free streaming services?). I will use it while mowing lawn and possibly while riding my bike. No iem as nothing I have ever tried stays in or feels comfortable. My music tastes are 80’s metal and hair bands Linkin Park, Eminem, Disturbed, Rammstien and Volbeat to violin music from Lindsey Stirling and piano music.

I went to the local Best Buy…listened to the Sony Mx4 and the Bose Qc II 35and 700…the other options were the skullcandy brand and I laughed as I tried those…nice ear massagers with the whole headset vibrating on my head but not fantastic to listen to. The only other place nearby I stopped at today and they said the headphone display was closed because they couldn’t sanitize the phones between customers (they said they were waiting for corporate to send them sanatizing wipes…for 2 months so far). It stunk because I couldn’t try any headphones on there to hear the variations. The employee who was helping me said he recommended the AKG371 but without hearing it, I wasn’t going to buy it. I know I can’t expect the world from a set in my price range but any recommendations would be appreciated!

1 Like

Hey thanks for reaching out, I think you summed that up very well.

As you said on the opposite there’s no reason for me to disrespect anyone that hasn’t disrespected me. Second if someone wants to disrespect me it doesn’t effect me, nor am I saying anyone has disrespected me.

People are fully entitled to their opinion or hypothesis, this internet is a wild place and many people have different intentions. I just wish to make it clear that my intention to disturb people trying to help me and so many have contributed so much time and effort would be pure evil. Not sure what I can gain from such acts, and on the contrary lose out much more as a result.

I have taken the time to consistently show my gratitude and appreciation. Wish I had done more.

Unfortunately I am obligated to further make clear to anyone here who has or will in the future reach out to help me that I am not trying to waste time. It’s very difficult when you are new to something, everyone is different. Some people are hard headed, some are stubborn, there’s a wide variety of cases.

In the end it’s my money, so it comes down to me considering everything and making a decision or taking a chance.

I am the type of person, unfortunately without having a grasp, that tries to master everything I learn. That should be human nature. The ins and outs, fundamentals, etc

I can clearly say I have probably asked the most questions of anybody that’s new to the hobby, on here very likely. And I have had everything I’ve asked responded to with insight and advice.

However, if you think about it the time and thought I have put into this, including research on my own outside the forum. It would only be detrimental to me, cause there’s no way of me taking that amount of time from anyone here.

Anyone would and should believe someone trying to be a disruption wouldn’t disrupt themselves more than the others they are trying to disrupt.

2 Likes

Anyone have any experience with the FLUX head amps? Was looking at this and it looks really good on paper but I wanted to know if anyone has one or has used these before.
Thanks

FA-12 Balanced Class-A Head-Amplifier (fluxlab-acoustics.com)

Output power
300Ohm: 360mW RMS per channel (balanced mode), 32Ohm: 2600mW RMS per channel (balanced mode), 50Ohm: 1700mW RMS per channel (balanced mode)

• Fully balanced topology
  • Class A
  • JFET inputs
  • MOSFET outputs
  • 64-step relay volume control attenuator
  • Premium components: Nichicon, TAKMAN, NIPPON, FUJITSU-TAKAMISAWA etc.
  • Powerful toroidal transformer
1 Like

@bigshel99 has both. I know he just received them (F10/F12), but maybe he can give some quick impressions. :+1:t4:

2 Likes

That’s always the point as far as I’m concerned. Then again, when I’m not making smart remarks here, I’m actually a Financial Advisor.

6 Likes

I don’t have experience, but to save some time for others, here’s a not-too-critical review of the FA-10 by Headphonia. It repeatedly mentions having a black background, clarity, and full tone, but not too much bass. As such, it comes across as a more powerful Class A big brother to the clean and neutral THX and Topping presentation.

[That review and their list of top headphone amps makes me think Headphonia never reviewed a product they didn’t like. Every characteristic seems to be spun with the best salesmanship possible.]

2 Likes

I post a little bet about the FA10 over here:

Quick thoughts: I like both the FA10 and FA12. The FA10’s presentation is very clean and spacious, while the FA12 is warmer and not as wide nor does it image quite as well. Paired with the Soekris 2541, I think I prefer the FA10 over the FA12 … the stage/image is something. With a brighter DAC I may flip choice but having tried that yet.

5 Likes

I just purchased the FA-10, Soundnews has a review on the amp/dac unit. I think the FA-10 is a bit beastie for anyone, but I prefer overkill just to be safe in my situation.

They charge no tax on units which is nice.

However they build the FA-10 or other units, not sure on the rest, by orders. Usually takes 3-4 weeks

I read through that… can’t say I’d argue too much with what’s said in the review. Bass was a bit lighter than I liked until I changed the the Soekris DAC (had a Matix Element X on it previously) then I thought it was better there. I’m going to go back to the Element X with both to see whether my previous feeling was more my imagination or something. haha.

4 Likes

Which Soekris are you using?

1 Like

Hello all. I need your help to find my first headphones. My budget is 400$ and the kinds of music i mostly listen to are rap,rock, electronic,punk. Do you have anything to suggest with a warm bass that is not lacking in mid hi? I will be using it in house so I don’t have a problem with open back. I forgot to mention i mostly have flac’s 16/44 and some 24/96 and when am listening from streams i will listen to YouTube but mostly listen from my collection. About dac and amp i have a budget of 100$ and i thought to buy Fiio’s K5 pro. Some years back a friend gave me Soul’s sl300 and i still have them and from IEM i have Kz as16. Happy New Year

5 Likes

Hi @Tsikos, welcome to the forum!

To help us out, can you give us some more details of what you already own? For instance, what’s the source of your music? Are you listening to Spotify or Tidal or other type of music on your PC? Do you already have a DAC and/or amp?

This will help people give you the best possible advice.

5 Likes

I’m using the Soekris 2541

3 Likes

@pyrexia was asking about that dac earlier. Maybe you can provide some feedback. Wanted thoughts on theRME ADI-2 and the 2541 dacs

Thanks all for sharing your thoughts on the Flux amps. It has helped me in my decision and I am going to wait. I have a Topping D70 DAC and an SPL Phonitor xe as well as a La Figaro 339i tube amp that I really enjoy. I am waiting for my ZMF VC headphones to arrive and see how these DAC/amp combos work with it first. I will give the VC some time to burn in as I patiently plot my next move. I think my current setup is enough to power my ZMFs but the proof will be in the listening as always. Happy New Year to you all!

4 Likes

I’ve never heard the RME DACs but the 2541, I’d describe as detailed with a very black background, was warmer than I thought it’d be. By itself, as a DAC/Amp, it’s really nice… Amp is plenty powerful and clean.

1 Like

Thanks! I ended up going with the RME. My goal for 2021 is to master the manual…

3 Likes