General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

Easily, if there’s serious demand and good money to be made. Tubes are 100 year old technology and pretty simple. The surviving manufacturers during the demand slump (e.g., starting in the 1960s and 1970s) were the opposite of cutting-edge.

2 Likes

Very true, but there’s no guarantee that modern methods will improve the quality of antique technology. Sometimes the magic was in the imperfection of antique methods. Hence, the NOS market.

2 Likes

And sometimes the magic is in the nostalgia of the purchaser, hence the PT Cruiser.

5 Likes

There are a few good new production out there that are NOS like but they are expensive and limited to only a certain tube type. At least for the high end new production. 2a3, 300b, 5u4g, 274, etc. Big power tubes and rectifiers.

Smaller input tubes are a lot more varied.

NOS market is sparse and you have to keep your eyes open or be willing to pay.

3 Likes

The type of headphone I am looking for is (Closed-back, open-back, in-ear, wireless, etc): IEMs or Earbuds

My price range is: $349

I like to listen to: EDM, Hardcore/Metal/Punk, youtube videos, and Podcasts

I will be using them for: (Travel, commuting, home, gym, etc…): Mainly for watching videos on my lunch break or while traveling.

2 Likes

The probably the most recommended for overall performance at that price is the Moondrop Blessing2 and Blessing2 Dusk.

Another option that’s a lot of fun with EDM is the FiiO FD5.

2 Likes

I posted this in the “cheap IEM” discussion, but I think it belongs here.

I’ve recently been bitten by the IEM bug, after you all helped me find some great headphones (Hifiman Sundara).

I bought a cheap pair of KZ ATRs just to see how IEMs sounded in general with my only experience so far being Apple Airpod Pros. I then bought some Fiio FH1S and enjoyed them. A very nice retired man on Craigslist has been listing lots of IEMs and other equipment for good prices so I purchased them all for $360. They consisted of:

Shuoer Tape
Shuoer Tape Pro
Blon BL-01
Blon BL-03
Blon BL-05
BQEYZ Spring 1
BGVP Zero
Shozy 1.4
He also included some Supology TWS-V16 wireless earbuds, a Fiio Kilimanjaro 2, and a couple of bluetooth transmitters as well as various unused aftermarket ear tips.

I’ve listened to everything and quite happy to be able to experiment with different sound signatures, amps, cables, etc. and I’m ready to purchase another pair or two.

My question is should I get a couple of other inexpensive ones like the Moondrop Starfield or iBasso IT01 which seem to have different setups and sound than the ones I currently have, or should I save up and buy something in the $300+ range?

I have no place near me that will let me demo higher end IEMs, and my friends have nothing fancier than the free Apple wired earbuds, so I don’t know how to go about deciding other than reviews and advice here.

Is there a substantial difference going from $100 - $200 IEMS to something over $300? What, specifically, do the more expensive versions do better?

I like to listen to classic rock, guitarists like Jeff Beck, some newer stuff I’m discovering like Billie Eilish, and a lot of live versions of 70’s and 80’s rock and “yacht rock.”

Thanks in advance for your continued advice.

3 Likes

Thank you! I’ll look those up!

1 Like

My personal feeling without nearly enough experience to back it up is:

You get huge improvements per $100 you spend up until around $500-$600. Diminishing returns start to hit hard as you go above that. Other people will have a different feeling on where the line is.

Also: Blessing 2 dusk. (Or the original) is a great way to step into the price range and see for yourself. ($329)

4 Likes

Hi, I’m quite new to buying headphones, buying generic ones in the past. I’m looking for headphones for competitive FPS gaming (hearing footsteps etc.) that are compatible with the V-Moda Boom Pro Mic.

I’ve done my own research and found the Philips SHP9500, Sivga SV007, Audio Technica WS1100is and Fidelio L2. However, I’ve no idea which of these (or if there are any other options) that would be best for my needs. Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

This is probably the one and only case when I recommend Beyerdinamic. DT1990 Pro would quite surely suit your need. Alternatives are far more expensive. If you’re looking for an headphone just for gaming Beyer. If you want to listen to music too then alternatives are to take into account.

Based on prior guidance I’ve gotten on this forum, I purchased the Focal Celestee, the Jotunheim 2 and Bifrost 2 from Schiit Audio, and a custom balanced cable from Hart Audio cables. I love my setup, but my original plan was to buy a pair of open back headphones as well. I currently have a pair of Audeze el-8 opens, and I’d like a substantial upgrade from that.

I’ve tried and enjoyed the original Focal Clears, but it’s been a while since I’ve heard them, and I wonder if the sound signature is too close to that of the Celestee (and whether that should matter for me very much). I don’t care whether the headphones have the widest soundstage. I’ve demoed the HD 800s and decided the presentation sounded unnatural on a lot of the hip-hop and electronic music I enjoy. I liked it fine for jazz, which is one of the genres I listen to most, but I think I’d prefer something more versatile than the HD 800s. At $990, the Clear is very tempting, but I’m willing to splurge a bit and finally be able to tell my wife that I’m done spending our money on this hobby… at least for 2021.

I’m also considering the Ananda and Arya. I think the build quality of the Ananda seemed sturdier to me, and the sound was quite good, though I did not prefer it to the Clear or the Celestee. Although the Arya felt flimsy by contrast, I thought the sound was surprisingly fun. Initially, I was offput by the sound staging on the Arya, but the more I listened the more I enjoyed them. I didn’t spend that much time with them, and this was a few weeks ago, so I can’t recall my impressions re technical performance, bass, etc. I just remember that when I adjusted to the sound, I found them very pleasing and a potentially nice contrast to the Celestee.

I’ve also been considering the ZMF Auteur, Verite Open, and Verite Closed. I haven’t been able to try these, but when I posted initially seeking advice, I think several people recommended the VO or VC. The ZMF line throws a wrench into my original plan because of the reviews I’ve read, the VCs seem to get more love than the VOs. That has caused me to reevaluate why I wanted a pair of open back headphones in the first place. If the VCs are dynamic and provide solid soundstage, what benefit does the VO offer? I don’t have a dedicated place to listen in my apartment, so closed backs are good so that I don’t annoy my wife or daughter. But for some reason—maybe because so many people love open back headphones—I’m attached to the idea of having a solid pair. I’d appreciate any advice you all have to share about whether I should: (a) hold onto my money for a while, or buy (b) the Focal Clear at $990; (c) Ananda at $700; (d) Arya at $1600; (e) Auteur at $1600; (f) VC at $2500 or (g) VO at $2500. Thanks!

2 Likes

Option F VC because I believe they will sound the best. And then consider selling the Celestee and buying the OG Clear.

Torq’s VC review and MonsterZero’s VC review on YT provide comparisons with the VO. I own the VC, never heard the VO. Good luck.

6 Likes

So I love the tone and added weight to vocals and bass that my Liquid Carbon X provides, but I’m having a hard time choosing it over my other amp that sound stages and images much better. I’m confused on where to go from here?
Tube amp? Go up the SS chain and aim for a wamer sound?

Hi all - just a quick update from a post I made a couple of weeks ago looking for advice on IEMs that go well with hard bop 50’s/60’s classic jazz (i.e. Blue Note), late 60’s/early 70’s jam/psych/prog rock, etc.

I was pointed toward the Elysium amongst a few other less expensive alternatives and very much appreciated all the suggestions.

As things stand now, I went ahead and started the madness :grin: by purchasing my first DAP and decided on the Ibasso DX-300. I enjoy a lot of streaming music (Tidal, TuneIn, Berlin Phil Digital Concert Hall) so I’m loving the quick Snapdragon interface, gorgeous display, and am actively working on cleaning up and migrating my media server onto the 400gb MicroSD I bought for it. Couldn’t be happier.

As to the IEM, the Elysium was down to $2k from $2.5k based on their anniversary sale this month and I almost pulled the trigger (had it in cart and sweated profusely more than once :joy:) but had ideally been hoping for an option that landed closer to $1.5k and was still feverishly researching.

Interestingly, the MEST had been one of my original targets (alongside Andro/Solaris, and a few others) but lo and behold, I see that Unique Melody has just released MEST MKII and the preliminary reviews are showing a more comfortable, smaller holographic IEM with a much improved mids section so that’s piqued my interest and I’m enjoying the early reviews as I learn more about people’s experiences with it.

All that said, I might still just bite the bullet and go with the Elysium anyway, but half the fun is the research and discovery so again, thanks for all the suggestions earlier on, and chat soon… :+1:

Robb

4 Likes

Can someone recommend a portable device that i can stream deezer, Quobuz and Tidal on? Doesnt necessarily have to be a DAP with storage capability?

1 Like

I’ve been listening to lots of baroque music on my Mojo->Clears and have been loving it. I recently, however, tried some Wagner and early Strauss (Elektra) and found it underwhelming. The sonic density of these works just isn’t there.

Is this a problem with the Clears or, I suspect, with all headphones? Would the Raals be any better at this particular aspect?

2 Likes

I don’t believe Raals will solve your issue.
For Wagner music, especially if live recorded at Bayreuth Festival, and Strauss I tend to prefer an head amp/headphone combo with more body and fullness to the sound.
It may sound crazy to you but I really enjoyed Hans Knappertsbusch’s “Parsifal” (Philips Edition) with Sennheiser HD660s coupled with Schiit Asgard 3.
The intimate stage of the 660s with the warmer sound of the Asgard really turned the tiny, aerial sound of live recording into something more enjoyable to my ears.

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply. I can imagine that warmer sound signatures and Wagner, esp Parsifal, are a nice combo. My problem, though, is not tinniness, but just the lack of density in the orchestra. The detail is there, but all the seething passion of, say, Elektra recognizing Orestes, is flat.

1 Like

Depending upon what you mean by sonic density it could be the recording that is letting you down rather than the amp or can. Unless you are finding this across all your music.

5 Likes