Goldplanar GL2000

What’s “low low sub bass” for you?

I’ll just copy/past my post from headFi.
I’m lazy.

First impressions are a mixed bag. And I’ll probably save my long winded, full review for my own thread , however. I’ll say this. These are not technically on par with Audeze LCD-X or ADX5000 (thrown them into rotation for a bit). It would be foolish to say that or mislead people to think that. But, for $600, these are quite fun and capable headphones to play with. They do some things very well and some things are hard to dismiss when compared to headphones from upper tier category. I don’t have headphones that I could compare to GLs directly as far as design/price is concern. So this might sound a bit harsh. But believe me, it’s not. Just trying to be honest with you here.
GLs are a fine headphones that will make many people extremely happy. And to get substantially better sound, you will need to spend sizable pocket change.
Are they worth their asking $600?
Yes.
I have tried them with my SS and Tube amp, and for whatever reason, SS worked substantially better with GLs.
They do need more power then LCDX, that’s for sure. I would say that they might appear to be easy to drive but be cautious. They seem to be power hungry.
Comfort is OK but not spectacular. Weighting substantially less than LCDX ( which is great) but balance is a bit weird.
Stock pads are OK. And I preferred sound with those for the most part. Perforated pads are a little weird. (I have tried aftermarket perforated pads as well. And they sounded better then those that came with GLs). They give impression of artificial “air/detail/space” but it feels unnatural/forced. There’s also this sound characteristic that I can only described as “compression-like”. In upper bass and lower treble. Muddiness in upper bass and a sort of shout in lower treble. It also could be my imagination so take it with a grain of salt.
Anyway, these are my impressions from a very brief time I had with them.
So take it for what it is.

2 Likes

Hi El_Arte, below 100hz