Audeze MM-100 Planar Magnetic Headphones - Official Discussion Thread

This is the thread to discuss the new Audeze MM-100 planar magnetic headphones, coming in at $399 USD.

From Audeze

AUDEZE MM-100 IS THE POWERFUL, AFFORDABLE STUDIO MONITOR YOU’VE BEEN WAITING FOR

• MM-100 features the same Audeze Planar Magnetic technology behind the MM-500
  • Lighter weight for long mixing session
  • Incredible detail and accuracy make it great for audiophiles

Experience the precision and reliability of a professional studio anywhere you create or listen to music with the new MM-100. Enjoy all-day comfort from Audeze’s newest full-sized headphone, built in the USA on a lightweight premium chassis featuring magnesium, aluminum, and steel. Never has world-class, studio-trusted Audeze sound been so accessible.

SPECIFICATIONS

• Style: Over-ear, open-back
  • Transducer type: Planar Magnetic
  • Magnetic structure: Fluxor™ magnet array
  • Phase management: Fazor™
  • Magnet type: Neodymium N50
  • Diaphragm type: Ultra-thin Uniforce™
  • Transducer size: 90 mm
  • Maximum SPL: > 120dB
  • Frequency response: 20Hz - 25kHz
  • THD: < 0.1% @ 100 dB SPL, 1kHz
  • Sensitivity: 98 dB/1mW (at Drum Reference Point)
  • Impedance: 18Ω
  • Max power handling: 5W RMS
  • Min recommended power: > 100mW
  • Recommended power level: > 250mW

IN THE BOX

• MM-100 Headphone
  • Braided Headphone Cable
  • 6.3mm to 3.5mm Adapter Cable
  • Soft Storage Bag
  • Certificate of Authenticity and Warranty Cards

The MM-100 is estimated to start shipping in June 2023.

What are your thoughts? Do you think this will be a direct competitor to the Hifiman Sundara and Sennheiser HD 600 series headphones?

Looks like the Audeze MM-500 had a one-nighter with the Maxwell, with this baby coming soon.

Color this Audeze fan VERY intrigued, especially at this price point! Let’s hope this isn’t an early April Fool’s joke!

11 Likes

Whoa! Audeze once again has my attention. Is that the Maxwell headband?

I believe so. At least that was the scuttlebutt tonight on Reddit. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks to be a (better?) LCD-1 replacement.

1 Like

Yep. It also appears Audeze is taking direct aim at the HiFiMan Edition XS and the new Sennheiser HD 660S2 with this model.

4 Likes

I think it could be a direct competitor to the Edition XS and the Sundara, along with the Sennheiser HD 600 series.

1 Like

I’m on the way to AXPONA right now to give them a try and I know @netforce and @SebastienChiu are at NAMM this weekend so we should all have some feedback to share!

4 Likes

Can’t wait! Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKnG06-oYcg

1 Like

Coming from NAMM Show, heard it a few times and got a chance to ask Sankar and few other folks at Audeze some questions about the MM-100.

The MM-100 was quite often next to the MM-500 and tonally speaking, it was pretty evident Manny tried going for a similar tuning on both headphones. Reference/neutral was the goal on the MM-100 and I thought Manny and Audeze did a good job hitting that. Bass was nice and tight, fairly well extended. It was on the RME ADI-2 DAC FS and wanted to make sure it no EQ was applied in either of the bass/treble EQ or with the parametric EQ and indeed it wasn’t. For my personal taste I would probably give it a small bass shelf though the bass EQ on the RME was pretty fun and the MM-100 took it well. Technical performance is most excellent on the MM-100 and it had a decent soundstage at least I could tell from the noisy environment of NAMM Show. Treble was nice and present, didn’t get any hints of sibilance. The MM-500 did seem to have better detail/clarity and treble extension over the MM-100 at the fraction of the price, I can see the MM-100 being very popular.

Build wise, big step up from LCD-1/Penrose/Mobius. Premium metal construction and quite comfy on my head. Not too tight but pretty stable and I am not going to worry about it slipping off.

Some of the questions I asked:
Is the driver from the Maxwell?
The only thing the MM-100 shares with the Maxwell is the headband.
From Iron_Dreamer: MM-100 has a unique driver, newly created just for this headphone, and does not appear in any other Audeze product. It is NOT made from cast-offs, reject parts, things with sloppy tolerances, etc. It has been specifically designed by our engineering team to perform optimally in this chassis for the sonic goals we have for the MM-series of headphones.

Is the single entry cable system on the MM-100 the same as the LCD-1 where you can plug it into either side? And for folks who want to try to use a dual 3.5mm cable, does it work?
Yes, same as the LCD-1 where you can put the 3.5mm cable into either side and it will still work. For people that are guitarists for example, if you are a righty or a lefty, you can position the cable either way. For using the a dual cable on either side, it probably depends on how the cable is made but it should work though he wasn’t too sure why folks would want to do that (speaking for pro-audio context)
From Iron_Dreamer on Head-Fi: The connectors on the headphone are 3.5mm, and can be used with single- or dual-entry cables, single-ended or balanced. The stock cable is single-entry, single-ended with a 6.3mm on the amp side, with an included adapter to 3.5mm.

Is the pads similar to any existing or past Audeze headphones?
Completely original to the MM-100, shares tech or material from existing headphones but the MM-100 is pre-production so still tweaking things on the MM-100, pads themselves are still a work in progress.

The weight is listed as TBD, any info on that?
The MM-100 is still pre-production, still working on it so there are things that they are working on but it should not have any major changes from this unit they are showing today.

The website lists June 2023 as the launch, is that accurate?
Yes, planning on launching it in June but that is an estimate currently.

8 Likes

Based on what @netforce said here, I was pretty impressed with the MM-100. The MM-500 was already on my to-buy list throughout the year, but now that I’ve tried the MM-100, I’m unsure which one I would get over the other.

As always, the show floor was pretty loud (hurray for Maxwell’s crazy good ANC!)

Maxwell has ANC?

Didn’t think it did

You’re correct - it doesn’t.

It does not! That was my mistake - I was confused with the Mobius.