Hagerman Audio Labs "Tuba" Parafeed Headphone Amp - Review

Hi @Sturosen. I used to have a tuba and found that these tubes are really nice in it, if you want to take a stab at tube rolling.
https://upscaleaudio.com/collections/power-tubes/products/ei-6bq5-el84

5 Likes

Yep, they are dampeners and I canā€™t hear a difference with them on or off. Itā€™s common for tubes to be slightly different in glowing or not.

2 Likes

I purchased these tubes and was really happy with the difference it makes to the sound of the Tuba. The stock tubes that came with the Tuba yielded less of a difference in SQ as compared with my Topping A90 amp. Once these tubes were rolled, I could really hear a difference in size of soundstage and warmth of sound.

Interestingly, on a pure rock track, I might prefer the sound of the Topping - itā€™s more like a punch to the face - but for jazz, bluegrass or anything with greater dynamics, the Hagerman is really pleasing. Even for rock, the Tuba delivers, but Iā€™m looking for differences in each ampā€™s presentation - not necessarily that one is better than the other; makes it fun to have more than one amp!

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation on the tubes - really a nice bump up!

7 Likes

Glad you like them. It was one of the best bang for your buck upgrade Iā€™ve done

1 Like

For reasons all about me and not about the fine Tuba, I decided not to go with the amp. However, anticipating the ampā€™s performance and recommendations online, I purchased two balanced pairs of EI 6BQ5 / EL84 tubes. I used one pair for less than an hour and never opened the other pair.

Any ideas of the best place/way to try to resell these? I know of this siteā€™s for-sale section, but I donā€™t have a sense of the market for these tubes and whether theyā€™re idiosyncratic to this amp or more generally in demand, and could use any suggestions you have.

Thanks!

@Sturosen, the ZMF Pendant uses a pair of 6BQ5 / EL84 tubes, so you may get some interest from forum members, as there are quite a few Pendant owners.

6 Likes

Hey there,

@PaisleyUnderground has a good suggestion, and to tell you the truth that particular tube is not really gonna fetch high demand or prices, but I suggest listing here and over on headfi. You might mention they work in both the Tuba and Pendant in the listing. I always sell my tubes through both forums, and have had good success. Basically, you have one pair that have been amp tested and I assume they were quite and not microphonic, so I would add that to the listing as well, to give some value.

GLWS!

Wes

3 Likes

Customized my Tuba amp with African Mohagany

15 Likes

Does anyone have experience with the Hagerman phono stages?

Iā€™ve been looking at them, they have gotten very good reviews. Havenā€™t heard one yet. Iā€™m really interested in the Coronet 2. There was one for sale on eBay recently but I wasnā€™t ready to pull the trigger.
Need to be sure my new ā€œprojectā€ is going to be successful first

Whatā€™s in the box. 70s edition

1 Like

Nice. We are in the same boat (again) and thatā€™s the one I have my eye on also. It might be a good match with an Ortofon 2M Blue or Bronze or Nagaoka MP-110 or MP-150 depending on the preferred sound signature. The next tier up includes a Hana MC cart with the Trumpet MC phono stage.

Sweet project! I have a vintage Thorens table myself. Good luck with restoring that beauty.

3 Likes

I was thinking of trying one of the Grado moving iron carts if I get this where I want it, so Iā€™ll need a mm phono preamp. I guess you can use trumpet if you bury the controls to minimal amplification, but I like the looks of the Coronet 2.
Love my tuba, would like to try out some if his other designs.

1 Like

Those Grado carts look good also. Carts have a limited useful life, so having more than 1 cart mounted on different headshells is an option. The Coronet 2 hits a nice sweet spot.

I forgot you had a Tuba. Iā€™ve never heard one, but I would think it offers an alternative tube presentation that is sometimes preferred compared to single ended tube amps, similar to my LTA MZ2. Iā€™d love to hear an amp designed and built in the Pacific.

1 Like

Tuba is the only amp I bought twice.
Iā€™m currently using mine with my Metrum Musette as my desk system at work.
Itā€™s size and shape was a nice synergy with the Musette, but having had one previously, I was already in a good place with it sonically.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a nice work setup. My employer just moved to a building across the street and we are transitioning to a hoteling arrangement. Whatā€™s an enthusiast to do.

1 Like

Any tube advice for the Tuba? Or have you settled on stock tubes? I have a 6XX and an Aeolus, pretty warm headphones, so maybe stock tubes would be a good pairing.

These are a good inexpensive option.

Iā€™m currently running a set of 54 Valvoā€™s I got from @Wes_S .

I have a set of the Tungsrams I might be willing to part with if you want them, but youā€™ll probably be just as happy with the ones in the link I provided

1 Like

When I had the Hagerman Tuba, this was a nice, inexpensive tube for it.

Shameless plug, but Iā€™m selling a small assortment of EL84ā€™s. I only have singles left at this point but it would be a good start for someone looking to get into tube rolling.

1 Like

I got a pair of these for the Tuba, Aperex/Philips 50s/60s D Getter Made in Holland EL84 6BQ5. Itā€™s the best I could get locally in New Zealand. Hoping it adds a bit of warmth and body to the sound, as the stock tubes donā€™t really fall within my preferences. But I love the sound stage, blackness of background and detail the Tuba can put out.

6 Likes