Hagerman Audio Labs "Tuba" Parafeed Headphone Amp - Review

Ouch man! Are you close to gig harbor audio? I think they do repairs up there.

2 Likes

I am fairly close, yes. I contacted them today actually and might be taking it to them if I canā€™t find someone closer.

2 Likes

That should be a pretty easy repairā€¦ hope it works out for you!

2 Likes

The only way that could have happened is if the choke flexed away from the PCB. I opened mine up and those brackets are solidly attached.

If the amp was dropped/jolted hard enough to cause that much displacement Iā€™d take a hard look at the board and the other chokes/transformers to make sure there isnā€™t additional damage. Maybe also check the screws for that particular choke to see if theyā€™ve backed out somehow. That must have been one heckova voyage!

5 Likes

With that hard of an impact Iā€™d be concerned about unseen cracks in the board too. In my experience with old-school tank-sized desktop PCs, there can be all sorts of cascade effects. It may work for a while (hours, days, months) after repair, but then die a premature death.

1 Like

Yes it was a hard fall. I thought I had it packaged pretty well. Sent it USPS priority and it was insured so I probably should check into that - no point in getting it fixed if thereā€™s hidden damage.

This was how one of the tubes arrived:

4 Likes

Welp, so much for the ā€œmatched pairā€ :grimacing:

Unless you have a good electronics repair place nearby Iā€™d suggest sending it back to Jim and letting him look it over.

And FWIW Iā€™m 100% aligned with @generic. No telling what might crop up in the future. Frankly Iā€™m surprised there isnā€™t more obvious physical damage.

Sorry about your situation, thatā€™s a real bummer!

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice everyone. Iā€™m just going to write it off as lesson learned rather than spend more on it only to have other problems crop up. I ā€œonlyā€paid $550 for it.

1 Like

My condolences. That bites.

1 Like

If i smash the other one I can still sell them as a matched pair, right.

2 Likes

Just make sure you smash it in the same way. Youā€™ll get a negative review if someone buys them from you and finds they donā€™t look they same when they take them out of the box! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Anyone want wood panels for their tuba?

!

4 Likes

If you had insurance it might at least be worth a first contact with USPS to find out how much of a hassle it would be to collect the insurance.

1 Like

PM meā€¦

I can repair the transformer leads?
I also have EL84 tubes here

or send it back to Jimā€¦

Alex

4 Likes

Is it fair to say the Tuba is pretty nuetral sounding? Was going to pickup one, seems like having a slightly more neutral headphone for the ZMF Aeolus would be a good pairing.

I would say yes the Tuba is pretty neutral. Uncolored. More like a good SS amo IMO.
Not really tubey at all for meā€¦
Typical clean sound from a well designed parafeed type of non-OTL amp.

A.

5 Likes

I agree that the Tuba is pretty neutral and a good match with ZMFs. I especially like it with the Verite Open, as it seems to bring the slightly recessed mids forward, at least compared to the Pro iCAN Iā€™m used to (with GE 5 star 5670s). Also a little more airy with no loss of details and somehow seems a bit louder and exciting even though volume-matched, though that may just be the more forward mids. Working on finding some tubes which provide a bit more bass. There seem to be a lot of options for matched pairs of new tubes under $50.

3 Likes

I just took delivery of my new Tuba and see that Jim included two rubber washer-like rings in the packet containing the tubes.

Forgive my complete ignorance - this is my first tube amp - but do these rings go at the base of the tube when inserting into the amp? Or are these what Iā€™ve researched as ā€œdampening ringsā€ that go on the tubes to prevent vibration? If the latter, do you recommend I use them unless I get notable vibration?

Any guidance would be appreciated!

3 Likes

One more newbie question - it is unusual, and does it matter, if one of the two tubes seems brighter at the filament than the other? Both are on - both are lit - but one is brighter.

The amp is working perfectly - beautiful quality - but for my first tube amp I donā€™t know what normal is in terms of the tubes.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Itā€™s normal.
20 characters.

3 Likes