Headphone amp recommendations

Mid-Price Headphone Amp recommendations being sought. In troubleshooting, it looks like my Headroom Standard amp may be gone. If so, I’m looking for something to replace it. I have the iFi xDSD DAC/AMP, so it’s not like I’m forced to make a quick decision.

I generally don’t use balanced, although I have balanced cables for my Sennheiser’s if I want to use them. I don’t have balance cables for the Hifiman HE-560s, but I could get some. So balanced is a bonus, not a requirement.

I have a range of headphones, Sennheisers at 300 Ohm impedence, Hifiman is 45 ohm. Others at 32 ohm. Would be nice to drive any of them correctly, possibly with a selector switch.

Target price is about $400-500. If there is something awesome at $700 I would consider it, but there has to be a compelling reason. Is the Woo WA6 awesome enough? I don’t know. The Cayin HA1? again, I don’t know, but it is pretty. I don’t have a pretty place to display it.

The Eddy Current at Drop for $400? Maybe. There’s a Monolith Liquid Platinum at $615 that also looks nice, but a touch over optimum budget. Schiit? I don’t know them except for the Loki and what I read here, but maybe a Lyr or Valhalla.

So: Not looking for a DAC or DAC/AMP. Has to do something more than the iFi xDSD.

Looking for thoughts and guidance.

3 Likes