Headphone amp recommendations

I own a DV 336SE and built a Crack last year. I didn’t feel the need to add the Speedball, but have the kit in a box. These amps are not dramatically different with the factory tubes, and can be made even closer through tube swaps. The 336SE is warmer and rounded off, while the Crack has a more defined stage and treble. The 336SE also has tube compatibility issues on 110/120 V power but apparently not on 220/240 V sources. In the end you may not notice the differences without a direct comparison.

In India you might consider some of the Eastern European vendors. I’m curious about Eufonika’s H5 or H5 with Miflex KPCU, as sold on both Ebay and Etsy. Their prices are lower than the total cost of building a Crack (to include tools, finishing materials, etc.), but higher than the cost of a 336SE. I haven’t ordered a Eufonika because I’m guessing they’ll sound a lot like what I already have, and I’m looking at other amp designs and price points.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Eufonika?ref=notif_nfyfs&order=date_desc

I’m running my amps with HD 600, HD 6XX, and HD 800 S headphones. I usually run the 6XX on the Crack without EQ, but the other two need a bass boost on the Crack. The 336SE doesn’t need EQ for the 600 and 800 S, but is too warm for the 6XX. Still, the Crack has better treble and definition with everything.

2 Likes