Headphone amp recommendations

Yes, agreed. I have the Utopia paired with the Stellaris with a Studio B coming in (Have used many EC amps before though) and the Stellaris is the best combo with Utopia I have heard. I highly recommend.

3 Likes

Looking forward to your impression between the two amps.

ā€‹Wow! Thank you for all the quick replies. I wish I had asked earlier.

In reply to mfadio:

1. I prefer solid state over tube.

2. It must have balanced connections.

3. I choose the dCS stack because the quality of the source is where it all begins, and anything after that canā€™t make it better, I can only hope to maintain the audio quality without corruption. The dCS Vivaldi stack delivers micro details that I have never noticed in my favorite recordings before. It has the lowest distortion I have ever heard. I am very sensitive to distortion. I was initially impressed with how effortlessly it handled any and every type of music I threw at it. I find the setup very easy to listen to and am repeatedly impressed at the clarity and dynamics.

4. I havenā€™t decided what my budget should be, but the dCS source equipment sets a substantial precedent.

I forgot to mention that I listen to my Utopia headphones with a Chord Hugo2 when mobile.

ā€‹Chris,

I am currently listening to the dCS stack with balanced cables into a Dā€™Agostino Momentum HD Preamplifier with balanced cables into 2 Relentless Mono Amplifierā€‹s driving Wilson Audio XVX speakers. All the cables are Transparent Magnum Opus. My goal was to have the most resolving system while introducing the least distortion. I had hoped to create the entire sound system from US or even local components but the dCS Vivaldi stack was the best digital source Iā€™ve ever heard and I couldnā€™t pass it up. I could have easily connected a headphone amp to the preamp because it has 2 balanced outputs but I have used the second output to drive a Wilson Audio Subsonic subwoofer system. I may just unplug the subwoofer balanced cables at the Wilson Audio ActivXO and plug that into whatever headphone amp I find.

ā€‹Thank you Dimitris for the suggestion, I will research the MSB Select Headphone Amp. I see this solves my issue with no more available preamp outputs by having an internal switch to send the signal to my subwoofer system when I turn off the headphone amp.

Thank you David, I will investigate the Viva Egoista 845ā€‹ and the Riviera AIC-10ā€‹ headphone amps.ā€‹

Thank you Blair for the suggestions. Iā€™ll check out the Bakoon 13r which is interesting visually and the Niimbus amps.

ā€‹Thanks Justin for the suggestion to look into the DNA Stellaris Silver edition.ā€‹ I may need to save up until I have the big boi monies LOL.

ā€‹

Tā€‹hank you BoardmanGetsPaid for mentioning your preference to use a tube amp with any dynamic headphone. That wasnā€™t an angle I have viewed the problem from. Iā€™ll definitely check out ā€‹Donaldā€™s flagship blue amp. and Studio B.

Thanks all,
Thyceā€‹

8 Likes

If you need more info on either let me know. I have both. Only thing is I believe Studio B is either in its final run or done and Craig is closing up Eddie Current and retiring

1 Like

In case you want to try out tubes, Iā€™d suggest reading some of @andrisā€™s posts such as this excellent DNA Stratus vs other tube amps comparison. Not only is he a good writer, but Andris has a Utopia and a very revealing DAC (Chord DAVE & M Scaler), and his posts will hopefully provide you with enough parallels to the gear that you either own or have listened to in the past.

Iā€™ll also suggest adding the ampsandsound Nautilus to your list. I donā€™t have a Utopia, but I do own a Stellia and itā€™s a wonderful pairing IMO. The one caveat with the Nautilus is that some have noticed noticed noise with super sensitive headphones, but Iā€™ve never had that problem with mine.

Do you mean balanced inputs or outputs or both? I believe the boutique tube amp manufacturers such as DNA and ampsandsound will customize their amps to include balanced inputs and/or outputs if theyā€™re not already part of the amp, but you can always use an XLR-1/4 inch adapter for your headphones, without any degradation of the sound. I do use the XLR inputs on my Nautilus, but that is only to lower the noise floor, per the manufacturerā€™s recommendation.

7 Likes

Unfortunately the studio b doesnā€™t have balanced inputs.

You can always get an XLR to SE converter although that is one more thing to factor in to the chain.

1 Like

Just trying to rack and brainstorm ideas in my headā€¦

Not purchasing anytime soon but budget will be around $2000 - $4000. Needs to be balanced all the way (because I use a balanced DAC). Tubes are a thing but I just want SS recs for now.

These are all the brands that I know of for SS amps:

• HeadAmp
  • Violectric
  • SPL
  • Holo
  • Sparkos
  • Niimbus

Iā€™m just looking for additional suggestions of brands/specific models. Thanks in advance!

4 Likes

Bryston BHA-1

Raal Hsa-1b
Sony TA-ZH1ES
Luxman P-750 u
SimAudio Moon 430-HA

6 Likes

Eleven Audio has gear in that price range. No idea if any good.

1 Like

Schiit Rag if you want to blow up your headphones :rofl:

Do you mean because it is so powerful, or are you saying it has blown up headphones due to being faulty?

Because of the power, 24W on the balanced headphone out. I am not familiar with any being faulty and blowing up headphones, but maybe it has happened.

1 Like

You may find that this is not the case after you have had more experience with setups.

I think you are on the right track with Headamp on your list. Solid amps with great track records. They sound amazing as if powered from the gods. I assume you will be going with the Headamp GS-X Mini if you go Headamp since it has received so much lavish praise. It is the solid state amp that I want the most.

The suggestion of the Bryston BHA-1 is also on the right track because it is comparable to the Headamp GS-X Mini. I have also never owned a Bryston, but one day it is going to be sitting on my desk next to a Headamp GS-X Mini.

I donā€™t know if I hit the right price range for you. But, you might as well go with something really good at the start or you will forever haunt the doldrums mid-fi alongside me.

1 Like

ā€¦

:thinking:

ā€¦

An awful lot of assumptions and praise for an amp you havenā€™t heard yet. I personally do not value hype as much as I do experience, and I find the majority of our forum members share that sentiment.

Iā€™m sure that wasnā€™t intentional on your part. Iā€™m sure you see the greater risk that is posed when a community starts to rely solely on anecdotal info and fourth and fifth hand experiences to make such firm statements like that.

10 Likes

Iā€™d give the Flux FA-10 a run too.

IFi pro-iCAN too for itā€™s versatility

5 Likes

Balanced isnā€™t always superior, but there are some DACs where SE performance is gimped.

6 Likes

Yes, just to add and clarify when I said ā€œbecause I use a balanced DACā€ I meant my DAC is best used and designed for balanced.

Apologies if that misled anyoneā€¦

3 Likes

Which statement of mine was an assumption?

1. My Headamp amplifier sound amazing as if powered from the gods.
  2. These are the two amps that I have read as being comparable.
  3. These are the two amps that have received much hype and praise.
  4. Those are the two solid state amps that I want the most.

I think you are wrong. I believe that all of our anecdotal information is the most valuable in his purchasing decision and my purchasing decisions.

I have the SparkoS Aries. Any questions let me know :wink:

2 Likes