Headphone Evaluation: Test Tracks

This is fun. Even on Porta Pros - It’s not a headphone test track for real music, but for special effects.

5 Likes

That is really true. I know first hand what that codec can do if set up properly.
I’m sorry. As great as 2 channel stereo is…I mean come on. :wink:

Hello!.

Don’t know if they are good for testing headphones, but was wondering which could be a good setup for listening to the EP of galimatias & Alina Baraz, i’m actually in love with all the sounds in it. :heart_eyes:

Clara Nunes - Canto das tres Racas, AMAZING song, holy shi*!

Bro, Brazilian samba is something else.

2 Likes

The Cat Empire - Fishies, Love the dynamics!

3 Likes

Love me some Cat Empire!

Here’s a running playlist I’ve had that consists of personal reference tracks and also just music I like. It’s come alive and eaten Tokyo at this point, but there’s some fun reference-level stuff especially at the beginning!

https://open.qobuz.com/playlist/2556748

(still labelled Audeze but I no longer work there obviously)

Big dynamic song that I really love is Supertramp’s —Child of Vision.
It is so well recorded. Honestly Supertramp have some of the best audiophile grade rock music around.

Lastly. Get an original copy of this album if you haven’t already. Try and avoid remasters.

5 Likes

I’m with you on this. They have some wonderfully produced songs. Very catchy tunes too. It’s a pleasure to listen to them even on Spotify.

3 Likes

Completely agree on Supertramp and the quality of their recordings. School is my personal test track.

3 Likes

Damn, you really understood the assignment!

For proletarians like me still on Spotify (when the hell is Hi-Res coming?), here are @Resolve’s test tracks from post #174 in a Spotify playlist.

Thanks again, Resolve! Apologies if someone else already compiled and posted these.

1 Like

My mind still is blown when I listen to any Beatles’ studio track from about “Rubber Soul” or “Revolver” onward. Sir George Martin was a visionary genius, as the Fab Four’s stuff sounds so much better than other bands of that era, with superior imaging, separation, layering, the whole 9 yards.

For a band whose greatest album, “Exile on Main St.,” was dark and a bit sludgy, the Stones also have some really well recorded albums.

The EDM trio Above & Beyond also has some tracks that will make many headphones sing.

4 Likes

And the White Album! I use some songs from it and Revolver as test tracks.

Beggars Banquet is awesome. I use Factory Girl, among others, for auditions.

2 Likes

A nice underrated surprise here. This may throw a lot of people off, but Iron Maiden actually have an audiophile recording. It is 1995’s The X Factor. This album sounds really dynamic and realistic on good equipment. I recommend the original recording. The 2015 remaster is okay, but I find it pales in comparison to the original because it is not dynamically compressed.

Anyhow gents of the healthy headphone world. Give this album a go and I’d love feedback and opinions for anyone who ventures into what I think is Iron Maiden’s greatest sonic fidelity recording.

Not sure if I mentioned this one before.
Ralph McTell “The Islands” off the Album Sand in Your Shoes.
At the end of the song there are Tympani (at least that’s what I think it is) beats.
They are very deep and don’t come across if your headphone/iems lack low end.
On Westone W10’s can’t hear it at all. 64Audio Nio comes across as almost bone shaking.
it’s become my go to Bass test.

3 Likes

Taking notes… and as my 1st post I’m going to suggest the title track to Alison Krauss’s “Paper Airplane”…

Lookin’ forward…

4 Likes

Welcome to the community!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: How can you tell a recording’s quality?

I found this recently while on spotify、seems to be pretty good for looking out for detail and separation and it’s only a few songs so it’s easy to move them to other streaming services. I also use these sence three of these seems complex enough and have off vocal version
Jam project ー kaze no eagle
Metal gear revengence ー it has to be this way
Metal gear revengence ー rules of nature

1 Like

Ran across this article and playlist with lossless download (2hr.):

3 Likes