HEDD Audio HEDDphone - Official Thread

It could be the whole cup, or something with how the driver is seated within it.

It doesn’t occur in the organ stuff. Single, low-bass/sub-bass tones created in Audition don’t excite it, either.

I can hear it in the first two minutes of “Partition” (Beyoncé, “Partition”) too, but only because I am listening for it. Left side only, still. If it was on both sides (signal switched to mono, and it’s still left-side only) I’d write if off as the nature of the unit.

Will try it with the demo set this weekend. Worst case I either swap mine with them ( :wink: ) or warranty these out. Assuming it persists of course. It’s taken me 72+ hours to come across it though, so it’s not that much of an issue.

3 Likes

That track has a lot of electronic static/pops. There’s one particular ‘pop’ that appears a split second after the hard (low) bass notes, and it’s only in the right channel. The sound is slightly muted, and reminiscent of a record needle pop.

There’s a ton of intentional ‘noise’ on that track.

I don’t here the one @Torq is describing.

2 Likes

If it was just that, it’d follow the channel it was on. Swapping the connections from left to right doesn’t change which side I am hearing this on.

And it’s not consistent.

And it doesn’t occur on my other cans,

What I am describing is not part of the recording.

3 Likes

I can’t hear it, I believe your assessment.

It is a nice low rumble, so it could be something in the housing/driver rattling.

Good track. Makes me feel aggressive. :laughing:

2 Likes

I made a full payment to the local dealer on the 13th (two days after my birthday because I had to wait for business day Monday) here in Hong Kong (when I tried Headphone.com first, it wouldn’t allow me to buy from here). They are an authorized dealer with HEDD Audio and they said that I am the first to pre-order with them.

HEDD said that they would ship out two weeks from then but unfortunately, and as expected they got very busy with NAMM so we are still waiting for a confirmation from HEDD regarding the delivery date. Hope to get confirmation soon.

8 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: New Here? This Is The Spot To Introduce Yourself

Excellent graphic. Thanks this helps put things in perspective.

3 Likes

Ian, thanks for the graphic. I own both the Utopia and the SR1a (as well as a KEF LSX nearfield rig) and I totally agree with your observations.

I love them both: the Utopia is intimate, and the SR1a a concert hall. Both are stunning.

8 Likes

Another day of run-time on these, which brings them to just over 100 hours now.

The rattling/crackling I discovered yesterday with some specific tracks is no longer present, and I’ve not been able to reproduce it in the last eight hours even while specifically trying to.

The top-end has settled down quite a bit. I am no longer hearing sibilance in the Julia Fordham or Heart tracks. The zills on the tamborine in Der Kommisar can still be a little “zingy” and cymbals occasionally have a hint of extra “splashiness”, but not like they were a couple of days ago and not on every hit, either.

Bass hasn’t changed from yesterday … so still about 1 dB or so below where I’d ideally have it, but it’s so good in other regards that I don’t feel it is worth messing with, and it’s more satisfying in that region now than, say, the Utopia.

Speed, dynamics and resolution are still incredibly impressive, though micro-dynamics still lag the Utopia and other cans at this level.

Comfort is still an issue, but hasn’t gotten any worse.

If the tonal profile works for you, or you can EQ the bass up and the treble down a tad, and you can handle the weight/size/small headband, I think these things are poised to lay waste to the bulk of the ~$2,000-$3,000 competition, performance wise, unless you’re a massive bass-head or want something with specific types of coloration.

The HiFiMAN stuff, shy of the Susvara or HE6/SE is rather more relaxed and mellow, so might be interesting as a complement, but I don’t think they keep up otherwise.

The RAD-0 sort of has the opposite profile to these, while being much more dynamic and immediate than the HiFiMAN stuff, but would also be a good complement to the HEDDphone.

Audeze … well, there’s the LCD-4. Which I think bests these in enough ways to warrant its price. The rest of the line-up? Yeah, not so much.

Focal’s Clear are more balanced tonally, and micro-dynamics are handled better, and they’re much easier to drive and far more comfortable. An easier all-day listen too. But outclassed in terms of raw performance otherwise.

These are kinda of what I expected the Meze Empyrean to be based on the hype they got, but these best those in pretty much every way except bass level and, of course, comfort and ease-of-drive.

ZMF’s stuff addresses a different market entirely and would be my first choice (Aeolus, Auteur or Vérité) as a complement to the HEDDphone, just as they are with the SR1a.

These are a bit on the unrelenting side, and entirely unforgiving with marginal material - similar in that regard to the SR1a. I don’t think I could have these as my ONLY headphone. They’re an exciting and engaging listen, but not necessarily the most relaxing way to experience music (a line shared with my pending SR1a review, also).

So, while I still wouldn’t really class them as “giant killers” (or at least not “flagship killers”) … as the incumbents there do have relevant performance advantages and are generally easier to listen with for raw pleasure for long periods without giving up the technicalities, I am sure these are going to be quite disruptive.

Can’t name an open-back headphone that is more technically adept than the HEDDphone for under $3,000. Though, I can name a few I’d rather listen to for the purposes of simply enjoying music.

Amazing.

15 Likes

Another thought occurs … which was mentioned by someone else earlier.

Our psychoacoustic response is wired in a way that makes sound that is distorted seems louder than it actually is (the brain has no way to know if the distortion is from the source, or because the ear-drum is being abused).

The HEDDphone play SO cleanly, that it is VERY easy to wind up listening much louder than you would with other cans, as the distortion that might otherwise limit your listening level just isn’t there.

This is something I found early on with the SR1a as well.

Better to use a basic SPL meter ($20) or a phone-app to make sure you’re not getting too out of whack when first playing with these.

12 Likes

That is a good “I’m not crazy” check as I also noticed, notable improvements over time with them! In almost the exact categories you noticed. Just in general they smoothed out and a lot of my initial concerns are even less so, now. While it isn’t perfect it is a pretty damn good headphone, especially for the price!

I think the planar market just got put on notice lol

9 Likes

And did you try the HEDDphone to make such a far reaching statement? Like anywhere in the audio hobby, nothing is black & white. Even like Torq said, much of it has to do with personal preferences, even system synergy. So no, the jury is still out as to whether the HEDDphone are giant killers, at least a few more weeks until even more reviews surface.

Your words could turn out to be true, but at this point it’s too early to make such a bold statement, based off only a few reviews.

Also if those comments above were directed at me (I can attest to the two specific topics being misinterpreted to the point of urban legend status), I certainly had much more than 5 minutes (and at least 4 separate systems, including breaks) with the HEDDphone, and yes it IS possible to have ideal listening conditions at a meet. People do stop talking for a moment, and there is also a volume knob to get a better listen.

1 Like

I don’t know …

Nothing anyone else says is goi g to make me suddenly decide the HEDDphone is a giant killer.

That’s always going to be a personal call.

As I read @ProfFalkin’s comment, it was saying nothing more than the specific label is immaterial.

People shouldn’t need the affirmation/agreement of others to feel good about their purchases. If they enjoy them, that should be the end of it. I blame social media, and “likes”.

14 Likes

It may turn out not to be a giant killer and some may say it is, but either way it will be a personal preference, yet gaining more weight after the majority has a chance with it.

I’m fairly certain @ProfFalkin was referring to the generally unrealistic expectations many people have when a product launches such as this one, that’s so highly anticipated.

So far the feedback from real-world listeners who’ve auditioned (and own) several well regarded headphones has been positive, and more importantly reservedly honest.

My summation based on what I’ve read here and what I have been told is that the HEDDphone is an outstanding value, and generally speaking, a pretty outstanding headphone.

That’s good enough for me.

11 Likes

I still don’t see what the opinions of others have to do with how an individual regards a given product, unless they get something from/need the affirmations of said others.

Personally, unless they are writing the check, I can’t think of anything less relevant to my enjoyment or regard for a product than what other people think. They might influence my desire to give it a try, but they won’t have any bearing on my verdict.

But then I also don’t see what’s fun about watching other people play games, be it video games via Twitch (etc) or professional spectator sports.

11 Likes

Me either…but, if your talking live orchestra/symphony hmmm :face_with_monocle: that I can watch! Lol

4 Likes

Haha! I was gonna quote this as well!

I played many sports. Many.

I even excelled at a few, but I cannot get into watching other people do something I used to do (never professionally), and love.

I’d rather do it myself!

But I’m old and broken now so… :laughing:

Music it is! :heart:

8 Likes

Hey I resemble those remarks, lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
old yes but especially the broken part. Lol :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Totally on board with that. I keep season tickets to the symphony, opera, Seattle Rep, 5th Ave, ACT and Village Theatre and all manner of other venues/events.

3 Likes