HEDD Audio HEDDphone - Official Thread

He’s on break but it isn’t bad I’ve cornered the FedEx and UPS guys before. I have my packages delivered to a drop shop and pay a package fee so one day I stopped the guy before he got into the shop. On another note I’ve followed the Fedex driver and bothered him blocks away from my house.

4 Likes

Just explain it to the guy…make him a sandwich or something :wink:.

3 Likes

I didn’t need to after all.

But when he arrived I did make a point to be friendly and ask after his health and family. I might need to interrupt his dinner at some point in the future. :laughing:

16 Likes

Just got mine in the mail.

11 Likes

What do you think of them so far?

1 Like

Sounds a bit similar to my extreme bass boosted L300LTD but better, still need to listen to some more tracks. The driver crackling sounds like plastic wraps next to my ears every time I move my head…

3 Likes

Apparently this goes away over time? Maybe @TylersEclectic can give some insight there.

1 Like

They fit my head pretty well on full-extension, surprisingly comfortable considering the weight. These definitely have bigger soundstage and better separation than Stax.

2 Likes

If the cracklings don’t go away after a couple hours they might just be a thing… it shouldn’t affect the music though… it’s a planar issues…

4 Likes

There are two distinct things with the HEDDPhone …

The first is driver flex, which is what I think @Henry_Guan is getting.

In my experience a) all units exhibit it and b) it doesn’t go away with time - though it’ll lessen a bit fairly quickly. But it’s innate to the way the concertina-fold driver is constructed and not a reliability/QC issue.

With my set, which are from the first batch, I’d have to be shaking my head pretty hard to get them to do it. Otherwise, it’s only a factor if putting them on/taking them off/adjusting them.

The second was a similar, but lower-intensity, sound when playing certain bass-centric tracks, and this DOES go away. And not all units do it in the first place.

It was only on the left hand side with mine. It went away after about a day or two of play, and was only audible with a couple of specific tracks played at rather enthusiastic levels.

13 Likes

I am experiencing this. At first I could hear it with every minute motion of my head and even when I flexed my jaw. I’m on hour 3 and it seems to be diminishing, but maybe I’m just being subconsciously trained to keep my head and jaw motionless.

6 Likes

This is the way…

trained you have become, yes!

7 Likes

Mine also just came in:

I don’t own the most ideal set up for them. But I’ll post my impressions after I’ve given them a spin around the 'ole reference playlist.

9 Likes

Brother, that setup looks pretty good to me. :+1:t4:

5 Likes

ok yoda…

3 Likes

You gotta sell everything and get Woo WA33 it’s killer with HEDDphone.

1 Like

I just received my HEDDphone and have to say I absolutely love it!

• USB fed RME ADI-2 DAC fs

• Schitt Jotunheim (used for balanced headphone output)

This is a special upgrade from my Focal Elear headphones which I purchased several years ago. This is the first non-dynamic driver headphone I have purchased and I have to say, I am extremely satisfied with the improvements I am hearing.

The first thing that stands out over the Elear to me is how much more detail there is across the entire dynamic range. There’s a certain sparkle to the music that I have only ever heard in the CA Vega I own. For a headphone, this is a replay of when I first bought my IEMs; I am going through the experience of discovering new details in some of my favorite songs all over again.

Second, the overall comfort of the Heddphone for me is about an 8.5/10. The weight, while noticeable is not an issue for me, even after several hours of listening in front of my laptop. The main complaint I have is that the cables stick straight down and occasionally get hung up on my shoulders or collar bones. The Elear wins in the comfort department but the HEDD is definitely not a bad experience.

Third, there is some crinkling noise on one side. I have seen others mention it and hearing that it’s “normal” is a relief. It doesn’t affect sound quality or interfere with the listening experience at all unless I decide to start head-bobbing to soft classical music or spoken word.

Since this is my first major purchase in several years, my technical knowledge is a bit limited. However, from the standpoint of someone who enjoys listening to all varieties of music and works in front of a computer all day, I am very happy with the performance of the HEDDphone.

I wanted something that would compete with other flagship headphones and not cost me my savings and as far as I am concerned, this is it!

I am happy to answer any questions (if I am able).

13 Likes

I tried these at CanJam NY and I’ve got to say… they are something special. Although, you kind of look like a cyberman wearing these things.

3 Likes

Here’s my review:

With all the comments about the fit of these cans, I was eager to see how a man of my enormous stature – 5’7”, small head – would handle a heavier headphone than my gold standard, the HD800. Surprisingly, I didn’t notice the weight as much as I thought I would. What I did notice, however, was the clamping pressure exerted on my jaw muscles just underneath my ear. It was annoying at first. But after about an hour, my body evidently grew some more muscle mass around that area and it hasn’t bothered me since. Truth be told, I did wake up with a sore neck a day after getting them. But that was from all the head banging I was doing that first night.

I’m just going to put it out there: I’m not the biggest fan of this headphone’s out-of-the-box sound signature. For example, the mid-highs sound excellent. But they overwhelm the sweet, blissful highs that, to me, give music the excitement I crave. I therefore did something I’m always loathe to do: enable EQ and start tweaking. The good news is I was able to get the Hp to the levels I like. The better news is that music started sounding fantastic (to my ears, at least) after my adjustments.

The bass response is absolutely there. But though it provides a better frequency response than all my other headphones, I feel the bass lacks extension. It’s as when you strike a bass drum, you hear that initial thump, but none of the follow through. IOWs, there’s no flab, no additional low-end harmonics. I did take @Resolve’s advice to increase the EQ a bit @ 80Hz. That has helped. Maybe these also need some break in to give it time to flex (or simply give my ears time to adjust). In fact, as I’m writing this I’m listening to some Drake, and getting plenty of low end rumble. We’ll see as I continue my listening.

I was nervous my current rig wouldn’t drive the HEDDphone well. But I gotta say, these sound great on my Mainline. There’s plenty of room to destroy my ears if I want to, and I feel as if it’s allowing me to listen to the full dynamic range these are capable of. With that written, I am eagerly anticipating how the HEDDphone will sound once my Phonitor X comes in.

In conclusion, I’ve been having a lot of fun listening to these headphones. The detail retrieval and soundstage are everything that those who’ve heard these have touted. There have been a lot of smile-inducing moments as I’ve gone about listening to my library. I’m therefore quite happy with this acquisition.

12 Likes

Just be sure to use the higher gain setting on the Phonitor X for the HEDDphone. I know some show impressions were less than enthusiastic, but they didn’t realize it was on low gain, and the HEDDphone requires a lot of power.

6 Likes